The Album Review Club - Week #131 - (page 1633) - Crawler - Idles

I love The Stones, quite simply the greatest rock n roll band ever (as opposed to hard rock or heavy rock etc). Still one of the best live bands in the world, despite their age. I’ve seen a lot of bands and not one can end a show like The Stones: they reel off one classic after another; although dropping Brown Sugar on PC grounds gets them a black mark!

Their latest album was excellent.

Some Girls is a really good album; it doesn’t have the absolute classics that some Stones albums can boast but the standard throughout is very good and opening track “Miss You” is one of their big hits, despite not being very rock n roll.

My favourite track on the album is “Before They Make Me Run”, which is one of the two best Keef sung tracks in their canon.

I played this album a lot when it was released and it still brings me great pleasure.

9/10

I love The Stones, quite simply the greatest rock n roll band ever (as opposed to hard rock or heavy rock etc). Still one of the best live bands in the world, despite their age. I’ve seen a lot of bands and not one can end a show like The Stones: they reel off one classic after another; although dropping Brown Sugar on PC grounds gets them a black mark!

Their latest album was excellent.

Some Girls is a really good album; it doesn’t have the absolute classics that some Stones albums can boast but the standard throughout is very good and opening track “Miss You” is one of their big hits, despite not being very rock n roll.

My favourite track on the album is “Before They Make Me Run”, which is one of the two best Keef sung tracks in their canon.

I played this album a lot when it was released and it still brings me great pleasure.

9/10
I use to have the album in orange vinyl.

Reactions: OB1
Some Girls a controversial pick from the Stones cannon imho. It’s a decent album, of it’s time, but they were such a disappointment live on this tour. Absolutely ragged, and not in a good way.
Statement of the obvious, but Mick Taylor was their greatest guitarist.
There is this club gig from that era, pretty decent.
Part of the appeal of The Stones is that they exist on the edge of ragged?

There is this club gig from that era, pretty decent.
Part of the appeal of The Stones is that they exist on the edge of ragged?

Yep, pretty decent, agreed, cheers for that - I hadn’t heard that recording before.
I suppose I’m just comparing it to the 72-74 shows, which were off the scale, and thanks to Mick T, a bit less ragged.
I did really enjoy Miss You, but overall the album didn’t really hit the mark for me. But that’s just me - I’m not sure I’ve ever enjoyed one of their albums consistently all the way through, but at their best, their finest songs are amongst the greatest :-)

I think it's been said that Some Girls is an album which Ronnie Wood had a lot of creative influence on ?

I like the bit where Jagger takes the piss out of TV Evangelism on Faraway Eyes...possibly the first band to do so ?

Miss You still sounds great. Studio 54 influence and all that.

Personal fave is Beast of Burden.

8/10

I think it's been said that Some Girls is an album which Ronnie Wood had a lot of creative influence on ?

I like the bit where Jagger takes the piss out of TV Evangelism on Faraway Eyes...possibly the first band to do so ?

Miss You still sounds great. Studio 54 influence and all that.

Personal fave is Beast of Burden.

8/10

I like the Stones, but don't have a lot !!
As far as I know 'beast of burden' is the only song I know...as it's played on Planet Rock......and I can't stand it, so expectation is low...which may be a blessing as usually I think/hope an album will be awesome, and get disappointed to some degree! We will see...

Just preparing my clues for my pick.
I'm hopeless at this kind of thing.
Got it all done now.
Trying to make it not too easy is the hard part.
I have never got one right yet and i cannot see me ever doing so.
Is it 3pm the turn over point.

Meant to say, thought your approach to the clues this week was very good. If any of us less familiar with the Stones had just had the basic wit to type the list of names into a search engine we'd have got it without the need for the easier band clue.

Yep, pretty decent, agreed, cheers for that - I hadn’t heard that recording before.
I suppose I’m just comparing it to the 72-74 shows, which were off the scale, and thanks to Mick T, a bit less ragged.
I did really enjoy Miss You, but overall the album didn’t really hit the mark for me. But that’s just me - I’m not sure I’ve ever enjoyed one of their albums consistently all the way through, but at their best, their finest songs are amongst the greatest :-)

It’s a decent live album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.