The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Mick would have been 35 when this was released.Not an old codger then.

When you are 13 years old, 35 sounds like one foot in the grave.

Mind you, Debbie Harry was probably only a couple of years younger and I don't remember thinking that about her :-)

Apropos of something presumably I was only saying to my wife the other day that I could never really get into the Stones although there were certain songs of theirs I like, one of them being "You can't always get what you want" which must have been playing at the time. We were either watching TV or driving somewhere.

Be interesting to see then what I think of this... time allowing.

This will be interesting. It was this album, or to be more precise the singles from this album, that meant as a youngster I took against The Rolling Stones or at least made no effort to explore them.

This was released at the time when there was lots of exciting 'new' music which felt generationally different from the old brigade and hearing the singles, particularly Respectable, on the radio confirmed for me at the time that this bunch were just old gits that had had their day.

Then over the years, I would be in the car and hear their classics and tracks like Miss You and think I really must shed my teenage prejudices and get round to listening to them properly. Tbh my attempts have always been a bit patchy and I don't think I've ever listened to this album in its entirety so it'll be interesting if Benny's review as a pleasing mix of influences resonates with me or not.
Strange - I could have written that word for word. I think I borrowed this from the library but was cassette recording of it never got much air play.
Interesting to see how much my taste has changed over the years

Apropos of something presumably I was only saying to my wife the other day that I could never really get into the Stones although there were certain songs of theirs I like, one of them being "You can't always get what you want" which must have been playing at the time. We were either watching TV or driving somewhere.

How about Sympathy for the Devil ?

This will be interesting. It was this album, or to be more precise the singles from this album, that meant as a youngster I took against The Rolling Stones or at least made no effort to explore them.

This was released at the time when there was lots of exciting 'new' music which felt generationally different from the old brigade and hearing the singles, particularly Respectable, on the radio confirmed for me at the time that this bunch were just old gits that had had their day.

Then over the years, I would be in the car and hear their classics and tracks like Miss You and think I really must shed my teenage prejudices and get round to listening to them properly. Tbh my attempts have always been a bit patchy and I don't think I've ever listened to this album in its entirety so it'll be interesting if Benny's review as a pleasing mix of influences resonates with me or not.
I'm with you on this. I listen to the Stones because they are on the radio and not because I put an album on. I have Some Girls on vinyl though so I'm going to annoy the Missus and Dog with a good blast tomorrow.

What he said ^.

Never could get into them. Never properly tried, but guess I never felt I needed to as their stuff is everywhere whether you want it or not. Obviously appreciate their success and don't particularly 'mind' them in any way. But never felt compelled to go beyond what found me.

What he said ^.

Never could get into them. Never properly tried, but guess I never felt I needed to as their stuff is everywhere whether you want it or not. Obviously appreciate their success and don't particularly 'mind' them in any way. But never felt compelled to go beyond what found me.
They are one of a group of big 60s/70s bands where a compilation of their best stuff is enough for me. Having said that, I’ll enjoy giving one of their albums a full listen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.