The Album Review Club - Week #121 - (page 1429) - Day for Night - The Tragically Hip

Sorry not for me.
Brave choice but not my scene at all.
Never found one track interesting at all.
My run of high scores comes to an end.Sorry for the lowest score possible
but not one track grabbed my attention and found it a hard listen.
Could only listen to twice.Enough is enough. 1/10

Sorry not for me.
Brave choice but not my scene at all.
Never found one track interesting at all.
My run of high scores comes to an end.Sorry for the lowest score possible
but not one track grabbed my attention and found it a hard listen.
Could only listen to twice.Enough is enough. 1/10
I don't think you need to be sorry. When somebody nominates an album like this, they aren't going to be looking at the scores, they are just hoping 2 or 3 people will get something out of it.

My first listen yesterday was ideally timed for me thinking I might need a nap before getting ready to head out for the game. I don’t mean that disrespectfully, it was nice to put this on, lie down and let it play while I would either drift off or not. I think I did but not before hearing some nice soothing music.

I don’t know if it’s anything groundbreaking, more engaged listens to follow but did quite like what I heard. Think I remember placing the track on the playlist quite highly as well.

I suspect how you get on with an album like this is probably as much to do with personality as conventional musical preferences. I think if you sometimes like music to take you into yourself it's probably got some legs whereas if music is mostly for taking you out of yourself then it's probably not go that much going for it other than as a bit of a relaxant.

Years ago I went with Mrs Spires to see the Seagram Murals at the Tate, I found myself surprisingly moved by them and was quite happy to just sit there lost in the thoughts and feelings they were evoking. Mrs Spires was "enough now with looking at the red and maroon paint" and we learnt that the best approach if we're going to look at abstract expressionist art (ignoring for a moment whether in this case rothko really is) is that she'll have a quick shufty with me and then head to the cafe and leave me to it. No right or wrong just people who are wired differently.

This album feels a bit like abstract expressionist art to me in that it's really a vehicle to express and explore feelings rather than say anything specific and explicit. That, for those who are inclined to engage with it in that way, those feelings and thoughts will vary from person to person is pretty much the point of 'art' like this. In the same way that colour, line and composition etc are used differently compared to realism this isn't using the sonics to trying to create a set of songs in the conventional sense of the word and it'll yield little viewed in those terms.

Sorry for the poncey interjection but that is basically how I feel about stuff like this.

Last edited:
Had a listen to a couple of this and I reckon you put a bit of Vini Reilly guitar on there and you have The Durutti Column. Anyway back to listening to Dry Cleaning

I think it lacks the rhythmic/percussive bits you get on (some) Durutti Column but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Florence Cleopatra Shaw, the thinking (or demented?) person's 'Florence'.

I think it lacks the rhythmic/percussive bits you get on (some) Durutti Column but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Florence Cleopatra Shaw, the thinking (or demented?) person's 'Florence'.
One and the same. I'll go for thinking myself. New Long Leg would be an interesting pick in the same way Crawler would

Ooooh it's ambient music done in a dreamy way that reminds me of the Erland Cooper album that I nominated from quite a while back. Except I had a connection that album, as I bought it in an Orkney record shop and it reminded me of the sights and sounds of a decent holiday there.

Let's see what happens with this then...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.