The Album Review Club - Week #122 - (page 1438) A Black Mile To The Surface – Manchester Orchestra

Very enjoyable and agree for Punk it felt quite light, which is a good thing - want to go as far to say it had a Adam Ant feel in places.
Most tracks 2-3 mins with loads of energy, base, small riffs and catchy lyrics.
Not sure why 'GGE' is such a stand out for many, I didn't think it was much better or worse than all the other very good songs.
I'd say 'One Chord Wonders', 'No Time To Be 21' (great guitar in this) and 'Bored Teenagers' stood out just as much.
Seen as I've never really heard of The Adverts or this Album i will put this very much in the underrated camp.

8/10

Just a reminder in case people didn't see it yesterday because there were a lot of posts in quick succession:

Today's update/changeover will be later - sometime between 4 and 7.

Hell, I'm supposed to be posting because @FogBlueInSanFran is busy, but feel free to do the update, Foggy, if I'm not back at the keyboard after 4.00PM.
Foggy, that's 11AM CDT for you in Nashville, for those keeping track of TIME.

Crossing the Red Sea with The Adverts.

Although I was quite into punk music at the time I was never into the fashion.Id always considered it a genre that suited singles rather than albums, other than the classics by The Pistols, The Clash, The Jam .The Stranglers and The Dammed, I never bought any of the other bands albums although I do still have a decent set of singles still, including GGE.The albums starts with a typical fast punk song and then ‘Bored Teenagers’ which was also a single, then New Church which I also liked.The rest were ok,GGE which I loved at the time now sounds influenced by The Stranglers ‘ Get A Grip on Yourself’.

It was good to hear a punk band again but unlike those previously mentioned it’s unlikely I’d listen to it again.

6/10

I think @RobMCFC will need to take this for me . . . . unless people want clues now . . . I have to go back into my conference at 11:15 Nashville time / 5:15 UK . . . .
In hono(u)r of last week's MIA prior to journolud stepping in, my first guess is...

Radiohead - Amnesiac (the country sessions)

(we can wait for Rob...)

My pick is the debut record by the band (a three-word name -- adjective, adjective, nouns) pictured below . . . at least in my opinion (and in Pep’s case, definitely Noel Gallagher’s opinion).

newFile-1.jpg

images

images

If you need further clues:

1) This is a mid-80s record by an English band no longer in business.

2) The record title describes a lot of Americans who object to what the 2nd Amendment purports to allow.

3) The band was probably best known for a song off a different record which referred to a certain American cartoon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.