The Album Review Club - End of Round #8 (pg 1495) - Playlist Guessing Game

It’s strange criticism and not needed.
This thread has the perfect balance in terms of nominations and reviews - Fogs reviews and others are really not long-winded and if it’s too much for you to read a few paragraphs then just scroll.
You're missing my point, which, you've actually made with your last sentence. Long reviews will get scrolled past (unless it's brilliantly written), thereby disengaging the reader.

Don't worry, they didn't -- KISS did on "Destroyer" with "Beth" six weeks prior to this record's release :). As I believe I noted when we reviewed that one :)

KISS was before my time on here, so I've just listened to "Beth" and I can tell you that whatever score I'd have given Destroyer it would have had 6 points docked for that song 'innovative' for it's time or not.

KISS was before my time on here, so I've just listened to "Beth" and I can tell you that whatever score I'd have given Destroyer it would have had 6 points docked for that song 'innovative' for it's time or not.
It's also the name of an ex girlfriend who, to my shame, I was cheating on. With her sister. And a work colleague. Oh...and a large breasted barmaid. Different times. No wonder she left me.

Power ballads were about before Beth, which isn't even a power ballad: it's just a soppy ballad by a heavy rock band. Insidiously catchy little devil though.

Sorry to disagree, again, Professor Fog.

I'd say Aerosmith's first power ballad was "Dream On".

I'd say "Behind Blue Eyes" is a power ballad.

It's also the name of an ex girlfriend who, to my shame, I was cheating on. With her sister. And a work colleague. Oh...and a large breasted barmaid. Different times. No wonder she left me.

Liked this post because despite myself it did make me laugh but that doesn't constitute an endorsement of said behaviour!

Power ballads were about before Beth, which isn't even a power ballad: it's just a soppy ballad by a heavy rock band. Insidiously catchy little devil though.

Sorry to disagree, again, Professor Fog.

I'd say Aerosmith's first power ballad was "Dream On".

I'd say "Behind Blue Eyes" is a power ballad.
The definition of "ballad" is "a slow romantic love song."

Neither of those are love songs.

Neither of them open with an acoustic piano.

Teeny boppers didn't go to Who or Aerosmith shows and scream for either of those songs.

What is the oldest song on VH1's Greatest Power Ballad list (and ranked #3)?

Next you guys are going to tell me "Black Hole Sun" is a power ballad.

I'm going to start charging you lot for lessons.

Last edited:

Teeny boppers didn't go to Who or Aerosmith shows and scream for either of those songs.

That’s your definition but other folk don’t agree. Power ballad’s are usually but not always love songs.

You ain’t giving any lessons here.

That list has Nickelback on it...Quite, quite bizarre.

That list has Nickelback on it...Quite, quite bizarre.
Definitely not endorsing the list!

You would think @OB1 would be thrilled that his beloved KISS on his beloved Destroyer would be credited by anyone with inventing the power ballad (which sadly begat many, many, many, many more absolutely appalling power ballads).

And I love "Beth."

Reactions: OB1

Surely Greatest Power Ballad is oxymoronic?

Power Ballads are a despicable use of musical instruments. Better to chop them up to burn as firewood or shatter them into tiny fragments to build scale models of The Golden Hinde than to let them be used for making Power Ballads.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.