The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

You do surprise me Robert, I had Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret down as your next pick ;-)
As somebody who likes Dylan and Springsteen, I’m still perplexed by the atonal warbling that people are happy to accept from a “vocalist”.

Still, as we all agree, it’s good to have a bit of variety on here.

ENDLESS SUMMER

Unfortunately BH this is not a genre I’m particularly keen on, I don’t like many synth bands apart from the odd few from the 80s and I certainly don’t like computerised vocals.That said I do like the sax but not the Kenny G tributes I found on most songs.However I did like the male vocals and the odd song such as ‘The Comeback Kid’ and ‘ Sunset’ .I think this album would’ve appealed a little bit more if I was sat by the pool in the Florida sunshine sipping a mad dog margarita rather than a cup of tea in the Manchester rain.

3/10

As somebody who likes Dylan and Springsteen, I’m still perplexed by the atonal warbling that people are happy to accept from a “vocalist”.

That's quite an interesting observation re. Dylan and Springsteen and maybe suggests that it's as much the music the chancers are warbling over as their voices that is the issue?

Your point about atonality has reminded me about an absolute fantastic book. 'The Rest is Noise' by Alex can't remember his surname, is a really good read about 20th Century music basically from the 'demise' of romanticism to when it was written in early 2000s. It focuses mostly on classical music and the rise of atonal but don't let that put you off, it traces trends from classical into jazz and then rock and talks to some of the things we've been discussing here. Even ignoring those trends, the lives of the big composers in the 20th century and how they were intertwined with world events is really interesting in it's own right even for people like me who are far from classical music buffs. It's not a book to sit down and read in a couple of sittings but it is a brilliant read imo. If you've not already read it defo a good book to dip into now and then.

As much as Dylan and Springsteen are lauded for their composition and playing ability their voices are a completely different matter. One nasal, one guttural, both put me off their music. There are quite a lot of early 80's new wave singers who are technically better than the two you mentioned.

Short of time and motivation agsin this week. I gave this a couple of listens, once was with my wife and we both agreed it would make good background mudic but couldn't really decide what it would be the background to. Synth music not really my thing, well I don't think it is. My interest was piqued by the liberal additions of sax, presumably it was sax and not some clever synth setting and there was one track, I can't remember which but it was maddeningly remidnind me of something else, so much so that I can only assume it was a sample or homage. What that something else was though I couldn't tell you but I will be listening to this again to try and crack it.

I like the idea of a soundtrack to summer, I have afew albums that are go tos when the sun start shining with a bit of conviction. This a soundtrack not so much to a glorious summer but maybe a passable day on the beach.

It's a 6 but apologies for not giving it more time. I don't think it would have nudged up though.

Just preparing my clues for my pick.
I'm hopeless at this kind of thing.
Got it all done now.
Trying to make it not too easy is the hard part.
I have never got one right yet and i cannot see me ever doing so.
Is it 3pm the turn over point.

Just preparing my clues for my pick.
I'm hopeless at this kind of thing.
Got it all done now.
Trying to make it not too easy is the hard part.
I have never got one right yet and i cannot see me ever doing so.
Is it 3pm the turn over point.
I think the people who are likely to submit a review this week are all in now, but I'll give it until 2PM to allow any latecomers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.