The Album Review Club - Week #131 - (page 1633) - Crawler - Idles

Some Girls by Rolling Stones

From Wikipedia ..
The cover design was challenged legally when Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Liza Minnelli (representing her mother Judy Garland), Raquel Welch, and the estate of Marilyn Monroe threatened to sue for the use of their likenesses without permission.[6]
Ironic this week's winner would come down to a "photo finish" by seconds, at least according to my thread ordering and timestamps. Well done!

That will teach me for getting in a crack on the reviews of the last album while the "falling rocks" warning was being uploaded.

Ironic this week's winner would come down to a "photo finish" by seconds, at least according to my thread ordering and timestamps. Well done!

That will teach me for getting in a crack on the reviews of the last album while the "falling rocks" warning was being uploaded.
I vaguely remembered the legal action (mainly because Liza Minelli had to represent her late mother) but have taken little notice of the Stones all my life so couldn't remember who it was against.

Yes Rolling Stones ...Some Girls.
My favourite group of all time.
In my opinion they have had the 4 best run of albums of all time.
Beggars Banquet...Let it Bleed...Stick Fingers and Exile on Main St.
It came down to It's only Rock n Roll and Some Girls but went for Some Girls due to It's release in 1978 after the disappointing Black and Blue.
Again in my opinion it is a great release for It's time mixing in punk,country,disco and rock in It's songs.
I still listen to the Stones a lot and i still play this album regularly along with albums that followed.Emotional Rescue...Tatoo You...Steel Wheels and of course the 4 mentioned first and It's Only Rock n Roll.
Favourite years the Mick Taylor years bit found Ron Wood to have been an obvious and great choice to replace him so it is one of the albums that Ron appeared on that gets the nod.

The Hooters hailed from the neighboring Philly area back in the day, and played some high school gigs as well.

They were known locally from my crew as the "High School Hooters". True 1985ish story so BH85 isn't missing out. ;-)
Saw them live at Manchester University in 1988. Brilliant band.

This will be interesting. It was this album, or to be more precise the singles from this album, that meant as a youngster I took against The Rolling Stones or at least made no effort to explore them.

This was released at the time when there was lots of exciting 'new' music which felt generationally different from the old brigade and hearing the singles, particularly Respectable, on the radio confirmed for me at the time that this bunch were just old gits that had had their day.

Then over the years, I would be in the car and hear their classics and tracks like Miss You and think I really must shed my teenage prejudices and get round to listening to them properly. Tbh my attempts have always been a bit patchy and I don't think I've ever listened to this album in its entirety so it'll be interesting if Benny's review as a pleasing mix of influences resonates with me or not.

This will be interesting. It was this album, or to be more precise the singles from this album, that meant as a youngster I took against The Rolling Stones or at least made no effort to explore them.

This was released at the time when there was lots of exciting 'new' music which felt generationally different from the old brigade and hearing the singles, particularly Respectable, on the radio confirmed for me at the time that this bunch were just old gits that had had their day.

Then over the years, I would be in the car and hear their classics and tracks like Miss You and think I really must shed my teenage prejudices and get round to listening to them properly. Tbh my attempts have always been a bit patchy and I don't think I've ever listened to this album in its entirety so it'll be interesting if Benny's review as a pleasing mix of influences resonates with me or not.
Mick would have been 35 when this was released.Not an old codger then.

Some Girls a controversial pick from the Stones cannon imho. It’s a decent album, of it’s time, but they were such a disappointment live on this tour. Absolutely ragged, and not in a good way.
Statement of the obvious, but Mick Taylor was their greatest guitarist.

Yes Rolling Stones ...Some Girls.
My favourite group of all time.
In my opinion they have had the 4 best run of albums of all time.
Beggars Banquet...Let it Bleed...Stick Fingers and Exile on Main St.
It came down to It's only Rock n Roll and Some Girls but went for Some Girls due to It's release in 1978 after the disappointing Black and Blue.
Again in my opinion it is a great release for It's time mixing in punk,country,disco and rock in It's songs.
I still listen to the Stones a lot and i still play this album regularly along with albums that followed.Emotional Rescue...Tatoo You...Steel Wheels and of course the 4 mentioned first and It's Only Rock n Roll.
Favourite years the Mick Taylor years bit found Ron Wood to have been an obvious and great choice to replace him so it is one of the albums that Ron appeared on that gets the nod.

I agree that four album run is certainly up there with the likes of Bowie's MWSTW to Aladdin Sane, Zep's IV to Presence (other options are available) and the first four Van Halen albums.

Some Girls might actually have been the first Stones studio album I bought (I think I have them all now) and I love it.

I will give it another whirl before scoring but it will be upper quartile.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.