The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

The Rolling Stones Some Girls

Great pick BB , classic album from a top band! It’s years since I’ve listened to this and I agree it’s one of their best.
It’s only let down by the cover of ‘Just My Imagination’ and Keefs weak vocals on ‘ Before They Make Me Run’ I much prefer his gruff talking voice on his solo stuff.

8.5/10
Love Keefs solo stuff as well.

I actually really like The Royal Scam so I think from debut through Aja that’s a run of six pretty much stellar records and you and I are on precisely the same page (once again!) as to Aja and Katy Lied which are also my two favo(u)rites. Gaucho is ok and I’m not 100 percent on board with Countdown to Ecstasy which I like but not as much as the other six in the run. “Charlie Freak” is still my favo(u)rite Steely Dan song though it’s not one of their better known ones; “Your Gold Teeth II” is probably second — another more obscure one. They really were pretty special — in a category of their own in so many ways.
CF I was going to have it as one of my Christmas songs for selection however I think you would have pinned me quickly with Jim Gordon at his finest I reckon a fantastic song never grow tired of it.

I think you are a right about being in a unique category on a number of fronts , arrangements to die for.

IV, Houses of the Holy, Phys Graf — that’s only three in a row and I think as we all discussed PG has a bit of filler as it gets to the last two sides. Never cared much for the first three records (I know many disagree); Presence is a letdown. ITTOD is wildly underrated though IMO. That was THEIR response to disco/punk! Also I think it’s important to point out that they never had much to say about the world at large. And one of their all-time best tunes is a cover. Don’t get me wrong — I like the best LZ tunes more than the Stones’, a fair degree more. For iconography I think the Stones album run is better.
I think Presence is underrated but not as much as ITTOD, which has three insanely good tracks and one very good one.

TBF, if III & II swapped round the debate would be over.

On this discussion of greatest album runs I was trying to think of four iconic ones in a row. Pink Floyd? Dark Side, WYWH, Animals (which I think is uneven) and The Wall? I need to do some thinking. I can make a good case for Steely Dan having 6 but a lot of folks think Royal Scam is weak. I’d argue REM and Talking Heads are in with a shout in the 80s — both had very good four record runs (5 even). The Clash first four too. The Ramones? Prince? Others? Trying to think of mega-huge artists so we can call them staples or iconic.

I know no one here cares about Sleater-Kinney except me but their 2nd-5th records are basically 50 songs in a row with no clunkers, but that’s personal.

To @bennyboy’s point, topping the Stones will take some doing.

I listed some earlier in the thread.

Bowie: MWSTW, Hunky Dory, Ziggy & Aladdin Sane.

And, yes, I’m biased but the first four VH albums are fantastic.

I would agree Steely Dan were very consistent.

AC/DC’s Let There Be Rock through Back in Black is a hell of a run.

None are quite as iconic as The Stone quartet.

I actually really like The Royal Scam so I think from debut through Aja that’s a run of six pretty much stellar records and you and I are on precisely the same page (once again!) as to Aja and Katy Lied which are also my two favo(u)rites. Gaucho is ok and I’m not 100 percent on board with Countdown to Ecstasy which I like but not as much as the other six in the run. “Charlie Freak” is still my favo(u)rite Steely Dan song though it’s not one of their better known ones; “Your Gold Teeth II” is probably second — another more obscure one. They really were pretty special — in a category of their own in so many ways.

I wouldn’t know which Dan album is which. My SD journey began with a 4 cd box set of their complete works at that point, which I love. Never have I bought a cd or collection and gone why the f*ck am I only just listening to this now to quite the same extent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.