The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

Not sure if I'm too late for my David Gray score, hopefully not! I've not had time to listen to it until today!

I had a listen to this whilst I did some work and to be honest I barely listened to it. It just sounded nice, like background music. It's music for when it's raining, you're cold and you've walked into Starbucks to get a hot chocolate. It's got that absolute "meh" about it which coffee shops need. It's comfort music.

Personally, I didn't mind his voice - it's nice enough and doesn't stand out. I didn't switch it off and I wouldn't put it on to be honest. In truth, I do wonder what makes musicians want to make music like this. It just doesn't make me feel anything really. I just get the feeling he's just getting on with his job, no more and no less.

I don't want this to sound overly critical as I don't mind David Gray, he's done some decent songs. His voice is ok and he writes a nice tune at times. But this album isn't him at his best. I was toying between 5 and 6 and because I got my work done on time, I'll give him a little credit for that.

Overall, 6/10

Not sure if I'm too late for my David Gray score, hopefully not! I've not had time to listen to it until today!

I had a listen to this whilst I did some work and to be honest I barely listened to it. It just sounded nice, like background music. It's music for when it's raining, you're cold and you've walked into Starbucks to get a hot chocolate. It's got that absolute "meh" about it which coffee shops need. It's comfort music.

Personally, I didn't mind his voice - it's nice enough and doesn't stand out. I didn't switch it off and I wouldn't put it on to be honest. In truth, I do wonder what makes musicians want to make music like this. It just doesn't make me feel anything really. I just get the feeling he's just getting on with his job, no more and no less.

I don't want this to sound overly critical as I don't mind David Gray, he's done some decent songs. His voice is ok and he writes a nice tune at times. But this album isn't him at his best. I was toying between 5 and 6 and because I got my work done on time, I'll give him a little credit for that.

Overall, 6/10
No, you're in plenty of time. The deadline is always 3.00 PM (ish) Monday afternoon.
I'll forgive Saddleworth for jumping the gun with his clues because of his enthusiasm! And I don't want to discourage people being enthusiastic on here.

I pretty much agree with everything you said in your review as well.

Overall, 6/10

Fair points but some albums can take 4/5 listens before you recognise the stand out tracks and ‘get it’ - certainly my understanding anyway as I’ve heard many great albums that on first listen did absolutely nothing for me - stone roses being one of them.

Fair points but some albums can take 4/5 listens before you recognise the stand out tracks and ‘get it’ - certainly my understanding anyway as I’ve heard many great albums that on first listen did absolutely nothing for me - stone roses being one of them.
I completely agree, my favourite albums have always grown on me!

Apologies BH haven't made the time to give this a few plays and a decent listen all my fault as always but a few things got in the way.

What I have listened to is good albeit he is not my cup of tea so to speak but for this thread I will score it a 6/10.

I only first came across him when I was watching Jools a number of years ago Sail Away it was and I didn't properly follow up on him as you say a well renown artist and not nearly as known here in oz as he should be given his tours over here.

Pretty good choice IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.