The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

Blimey, a proper blast from the past. Pop but the kind that Peel liked, seem to remember he pushed them a fair bit but it never really happened for them. Quite melodic and a bit of a throwback if I remember rightly. Much better than some of the crap coming out of Liverpool at the time but not as televisual sadly for them.

I predict this landing pretty well.

Well, he's tapped nicely into that vein with Allison Moorer being an Alabama native, and I think this nomination went down well - a lot better than his previous nomination anyway!

That's hardly the highest bar in the world is it?!

Thanks to all who listened and reviewed, various comments got me reflecting on how much more accepting of simplicity I have become the older I get, but that's a conversation for another day.

You can come out now @Coatigan

Having just reacquainted myself with this lot I'm afraid it's going to be quite problematic as I'm going to have to be nice about Liverpudlians something I avoid if at all practical.

I’ve never, knowingly, heard the Pale Fountains but they are on a longish list of those I’ve made a mental note to listen to at some point. Out of choice that is not because of my obligations to those who nominate on this thread. So, their time has come.

I think I may have delayed listening to them previously due to my muted response to the much praised Michael Head album of a couple of years ago which made a lot of end of year lists and if memory serves me well came out top on at least a couple of them including Piccadilly Records. I gave it a listen and could take it or leave it, the same with the track off his new, also well received new album which is on this month’s Uncut sampler CD.

Looking forward to listening to this though, no disrespect but a refreshing change of direction for the thread into a bit of indie pop.

It seemed that we had a fair few "rockers" over the past few weeks which made me think about putting this one forward...but then it was either benny or bimbo that made the comment about hating 80s pop, which made me think twice.
...and hope all goes swimmingly tomorrow @RobMCFC
Might have been me.
No time for ABC,Duran Duran,Culture Club,Spandau Ballet,early Depeche Mode and the likes.
Soft Cell for some reason i loved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.