The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

We all surely have a group we all followed in our teenage years onwards.
Although I do not care for the later Morriissey stuff I understand where Mad Eye Screamer is coming from with his Smiths and Morrissey posts.
It wasn’t purely a generational thing with The Smiths either. The wife’s friends kids, two boys, were always musical. They picked up guitar at the age of 7-8 yo. They’re late 20’s now.
They were always fanatical about The Smiths from an early age and Morrissey and Marr were hugely influential on them even though they progressed through many styles.

The younger of them eventually getting into DJ and mixing and is a fairly big name around Europe.

I think that, in a nutshell, is my problem with The Jam and bands like them.

I've never been one for "fist-raising anthems" or the mob rule of angry young men.
I like social commentary (if it's smart or at least clever, or intense and heartfelt) and I like "trust yourselves not us" messages too. As I look through The Jam's songs, a lot of the poetry is observational as opposed to a call to action. And that's totally fine, even though I don't understand the sketches well because I don't know where Bracklesham Bay is. But less compelling than The Clash telling everyone "Come out of the cupboard / You boys and girls."

I like Paul Weller because he's earnest and honest. Compare him to oblique misery-observation collector Thom Yorke.

True, fair point. Much better music though.
I can feel a new 'fist raising anthems' thread coming on.
In my day, Slade (retch, gag, ) would have been the forerunners.
I'm not even a fan of Bruces versions.

Now give me a 'Air keyboard' thread any time.
(Drops into a Wakemanesque dual keyboards simultaneously kind of stance).

OT — at brunch with my 20- and 18-year old. Much 80s music playing. Apparently Kate Bush making a major resurgence among their generation.

While listening and discussing music, I asked my children, “What does your generation think about Radiohead?”

My daughter’s answer: “If you like Radiohead, no one wants to be around you.”

Yessssssssssss.

OT — at brunch with my 20- and 18-year old. Much 80s music playing. Apparently Kate Bush making a major resurgence among their generation.

While listening and discussing music, I asked my children, “What does your generation think about Radiohead?”

Yessssssssssss.
Got to be said, I enjoyed OK Computer marginally more than this week’s album (5.5 v 5).

Yessssssssssss.

Foggy, you know I share your pain on this one but maybe it's time to let it go and lay it to rest? and before you get any ideas, I don't by that mean digging a shallow grave for Thom, and his accomplices :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.