The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

I’m afraid this did nothing for me - I’m firmly in the @FogBlueInSanFran camp of total boredom.
In fairness the guitar and general musicianship isn’t too bad, but when his voice kicks in it’s dire! Not much stood out apart from the intro to a few tracks - boredom in the extreme 3/10
Didn't find his voice bad, but the intros didn't stand out for me.....fell asleep twice listening to it, so could come in handy when I'm struggling to sleep!

The Magical World of the Strands - Michael Head and the Strands

I liked this album, similar to how I liked the original Pale Fountains selection that @LGWIO put forth in this same round. Kudos to @shackattack for adding to the Michael Head offering in this round.

Yes, there was a sameness to the songs, but I liked the overall approach and delivery: the vocals, the guitars, and 60's nostalgia that was felt. Michael Head can certainly write some strong melodic songs with interesting lyrics.

Standouts tracks for me included:

"Queen Matilda" - had a very strong Simon and Garfunkel sound that set the stage for where the album was going to go

"Something Like You" - a brilliant love song

"And Luna" - two songs in one, the first part reminded me of R.E.M., the final minute and a half sounded like vintage My Morning Jacket - and both were great parts of a fantastic song.

"Glynys and Jaqui" - builds up to a very nice rocking ending that was a bit unexpected based on the majority of the song.

"Loaded Man" - obviously, both Radiohead and I enjoyed this song and give it high marks. I do like the simplicity of the acoustic guitar the vocals simply carrying this one.

This would be better in the background working (lots of times this week for me) or during a dinner party than driving in the car music given the sameness of many of the songs, but I did enjoy this. It's a 6.5 for me, not quite something I'd listen to in my go-to wheelhouse, but the tracks that stood out made this a positive listen.

Last edited:
Michael Head & The Strands - The Magical World of The Strands.

Well this was definitely going in the ‘boring’ category for most of the week but as always and now on my final listen alot of this has grown on me.
There’s some pockets of beautiful moments and some nice strings/acoustic melody with some 60’s Beatles-esque moments.
‘Loaded Man’, ‘Fontilan’ and ‘Harvest Time’ have a nice haunting sound throughout.
‘Something like you’ and ‘Queen Matilda’ stand out as the singles from here.
Criticism I do have is that many tracks feel like demo versions- like he is strumming and mumbling along till he can think of the next line and the songs don’t really go anywhere.
Opposite to Rob I preferred the Pale Fountains pick over this one.

Pick Of The Bunch : Something Like You

Bonus Point : Nodding off to this on the train and missing my stop.

6/10

Last edited:
An interesting selection and one that I think goes into the category of needs a fair few listens to fully appreciate.

It has a lot of good qualities but its also missing some stuff and I'm not fully onboard with some of the choices. There is a pleasing mix of influences without the songs having too many ideas for their own good, which I felt the ones on the PF album did at times. That it doesn't elevate itself to the heights of some of his influences I'm not going to hold against him, however a comparison with Love was illuminating for me. Forever Changes is such a dynamically interesting album right down to the way Lee emphasises some of the syllables he sings. In comparison I think this is dynamically a bit one dimensional and for me that's down to three things. Firstly the choices round the bottom end and the rhythm section or lack of in some instances. Even when it's more prominent it seems a bit perfunctory. I get that this is a choice and some of these songs are delicate introspective things but on tracks like Harvest Time I found myself humming an improvised bassline and thinking it would lend itself to some nice gentle interplay.

Secondly I think he's probably over restrained in his approach to the 'chamber pop' elements. At one level his restraint with the strings is admirable but at another I felt some of the songs needed a bit more Tindersticks like drama. Finally, vocally I thought it was ok but again not varied enough to quite carry an album of this length.

I suspect if I carry on listening to this that my objections might dissolve in the face of some nicely played mature songwriting. But as it stands, though I didn't find it soporific like some, it did lack some dynamism and immediacy. One to let seep in a bit further I think.

7/10

Prior to the Pale Fountains and this nomination I'd listened to Michael Head on the back of him getting a Piccadilly Records album of the year pick and a glowing review and article about the same album in Uncut which feted him as one of England's greatest songwriters. I guess there's a lot of romance in the time honoured tale of a musical genius losing his way in a haze of alcohol and drugs only for a redemptive third act to bring them back into our consciousness.

I wondered if I was missing something when I listened to that album (Dear Scott) although I remember it being OK in places. I enjoyed the Pale Fountains pick although the criticisms of it being uneven and almost too varied are valid.

So, to this one. I don't think I remember anything on this thread being so damned by feint praise. Nice but boring seems to be the consensus although there is some balance from those who feel it warrants repeated listens. I'm leaning towards the latter view but I'm not convinced I'm going to give it that luxury having gone down a few musical rabbit holes in the past couple of days that catch my imagination more.

I like the folksy elements of this, Queen Matilda is a great opener and Hocken's Hey is fairly evocative although I suspect the place he's singing about, if it exists, is no great shakes.

There are other good moments, X Hits the Spot does what it says on the tin, Loaded Man is nice but the sense I get is of someone doing his own thing and not really being bothered whether anyone else listens or not and not making much effort to engage the casual listener.

It's well crafted though and I think that I'm likely to keep it for future plays.

When it comes to the Love comparisons, the Pale Fountains were much closer to that but you can't beat the real thing. I had Forever Changes on at full blast on the way down to Wembley at the weekend. As @threespires says it is a dynamic album and one that I will never tire of.

To be fair this Michael Head one was more in keeping with the mood on the journey back.

A score. Despite it's flaws I can see a lot of worth in this. It's a 7

After the Pale Fountains nomination i really looked forward to this pick.
What a disappointment it was

Nothing going for it bar s few decent guitar licks.
Uninspiring vocals and tunes which i found surprising.sounding the same and soulless.
Another reason being i loved Shack and was going to pick one of their albums as my next pick.
Not now as i think two albums close together is enough of Michael Head for now.
Not one song really grabbed me and i will put this down as the biggest disappointment yet on this thread for something i had never heard before and looked forward to listening too.
Back to the drawing board for myx next pick.3/10.

THE MAGICAL WORLD OF MICHAEL HEAD AND THE STRANDS

I should have liked this , singer song writers are my bag but unfortunately this didn’t do much for me.
Very Sixties sounding, vibes of a poor mans Nick Drake and Cat Stevens.
As Bimbobob has remarked on a previous nomination, it all sounds nice.
His voice is ok and the guitar playing good but the songs just didn’t grab me.
I quite liked ‘Queen Matilda’ and ‘Loaded Man’ but not sure I’d play them again.

5/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.