The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

Ok. I come at this review with little prior knowledge of John J Mellencamp, John Cougar, Johnny Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp or John Mellencamp. Other than his singles that I would recognise if I heard them but be unable to place the artist, I am a blank canvas.

In 1987 when this album was released I was 30 with 3 kids under 10 and a pretty time precious lifestyle which put listening to albums far far further down the pecking order than it had been before or since.
I remember 1987 for the Joshua Tree, for Bad, for Faith and particularly for Prince's Sign o the Times.

In prep for this review, I did read a bit about the artist and he seems to be very sincere about his music, his political beliefs and his values and I was looking forward to hearing that come through on this album, and it did, albeit I thought his lyrics lacked the subtlety of Springsteen at his best. What I really liked was the musical arrangements. From what I read, the band sat down before the album was made and agreed in detail how they would like it to sound. They utterly succeeded. I am a complete sucker for any kind of celtic music so the inclusion of violins, mandolins and accordion were really evocative in lifting the country rock feel. The production created a decent sound stage and I could easily pick out the placement of each instrument. Of the tracks, there were none that annoyed and none that particularly stood out as exceptional - I enjoyed them all. The instrumentation on each was what resonated most. What did strike me was the almost jaunty appalachian rock was in stark contrast to many of the lyrics that addressed social issues in quite a fatalistic way. Compare that jauntiness with the stark folk style of Springsteens masterpiece Nebraska.

I inevitably compared JM and this album to my favourite US singer/songwriters like Springsteen to help me determine a score. So where would I place this against Springsteens best? Not as good but I will give it a 7 which for me is a very high score for an album I haven't listened to before.

Certainly I liked it enough to play it again, probably when I am in a Springsteen mood but want something a little less familiar. I liked it enough to explore some of his other stuff, particularly his work with T Bone Burnett who I have a great affection for.

So for introducing me to something new, thanks @RobMCFC .
No problem, always glad to introduce new listeners to my favourite album.
Also good to know you are interested in exploring his other albums because he's done a lot and there are some crackers. In my opinion, the following are worth listening to:-

1. Scarecrow (1985) - A different sound to Jubilee, but just as rootsy
2. Human Wheels (1993) - A good half-way house between his acoustic and electric approach
3. Mr Happy Go Lucky (1996) - A lot of drums machines/loops - not usually my thing but the way he melds it with the acoustic stuff is brilliant
4. Life, Death, Love & Freedom (2008) - Like most artists, his recent stuff isn't as good as his 80s/90s output, but this is the exception. produced by T-Bone Burnett.
5. Big Daddy (1989) - Similar sound to Jubilee.

I thought I recognised this Album before and I've just checked back and it made the Top 100 Bluemoon Albums at 95th! also I recall the opener 'Paper In Fire' being nominated on here before - what a cracking catchy song! definitely a bit of Springsteen in this and throughout , he really does sound like him.
'Check It Out' I think I enjoyed the most, like the rest of the Album just a lovely sound and a quality guitar/music section half way through - Springsteen on good form here, oops. 'Cherry Bomb' another pick -lovely Violin and tempo throughout

Not many Albums you can listen to for the 1st time and enjoy (believe me, i should know) - I can only say it's all just a bit nice and clean for my own personal liking but that's not really a criticism but if i do have to find a negative then it would be that there is nothing ground-breaking here.

It's a very solid 'good'

7/10
You can probably blame me and @OB1 for getting Mellencamp into the albums/songs Top 100!

Glad you enjoyed it.

No problem, always glad to introduce new listeners to my favourite album.
Also good to know you are interested in exploring his other albums because he's done a lot and there are some crackers. In my opinion, the following are worth listening to:-

1. Scarecrow (1985) - A different sound to Jubilee, but just as rootsy
2. Human Wheels (1993) - A good half-way house between his acoustic and electric approach
3. Mr Happy Go Lucky (1996) - A lot of drums machines/loops - not usually my thing but the way he melds it with the acoustic stuff is brilliant
4. Life, Death, Love & Freedom (2008) - Like most artists, his recent stuff isn't as good as his 80s/90s output, but this is the exception. produced by T-Bone Burnett.
5. Big Daddy (1989) - Similar sound to Jubilee.
I hope everyone will be open minded to something they aren’t familiar with when I review my album. It is unquestionably a 10 out of 10 ;-)

I hope everyone will be open minded to something they aren’t familiar with when I review my album. It is unquestionably a 10 out of 10 ;-)
I would expect everybody's nom to be 10/10, which is why I thought it was pointless letting us vote for our own.
However, I suppose somebody might want to nominate something from further down their list purely on the basis that it's something different and holds special affection for them, even though there are 40 or 50 albums they like better than it.

I would expect everybody's nom to be 10/10, which is why I thought it was pointless letting us vote for our own.
However, I suppose somebody might want to nominate something from further down their list purely on the basis that it's something different and holds special affection for them, even though there are 40 or 50 albums they like better than it.
The problem I will have with mine is it isn't readily available on streaming sites (not free anyway). Its a live album and either needs to be purchased either in hard media or by download or constructed studio track by studio track for free (which many have done on Spotify). Of course, some of the music connoisseur on here with impeccable taste will already have their own beloved copy ;-)

The problem I will have with mine is it isn't readily available on streaming sites (not free anyway). Its a live album and either needs to be purchased either in hard media or by download or constructed studio track by studio track for free (which many have done on Spotify). Of course, some of the music connoisseur on here with impeccable taste will already have their own beloved copy ;-)
I don't know what others think, but this might be an indication that it might not be the best choice. If it's available to listen on Spotify, I'm happy with it, but you might be reducing the number of voters if it's restricted in some way.

I don't know what others think, but this might be an indication that it might not be the best choice. If it's available to listen on Spotify, I'm happy with it, but you might be reducing the number of voters if it's restricted in some way.
It is restricted as a live album but there are plenty playlists with the setlist constructed from studio tracks on Spotify. I am happy to go with that if folks don't have the live album. The music speaks for itself.
Listening to that will inspire some to buy.

I believe I can remain relatively open minded minus the following;

Bono
Morrissey
Hucknell
Geldof
Sheeran

There will be others but these are probably the main protagonists that spring to mind...... ;-)

Ok. I come at this review with little prior knowledge of John J Mellencamp, John Cougar, Johnny Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp or John Mellencamp. Other than his singles that I would recognise if I heard them but be unable to place the artist, I am a blank canvas.

In 1987 when this album was released I was 30 with 3 kids under 10 and a pretty time precious lifestyle which put listening to albums far far further down the pecking order than it had been before or since.
I remember 1987 for the Joshua Tree, for Bad, for Faith and particularly for Prince's Sign o the Times.

In prep for this review, I did read a bit about the artist and he seems to be very sincere about his music, his political beliefs and his values and I was looking forward to hearing that come through on this album, and it did, albeit I thought his lyrics lacked the subtlety of Springsteen at his best. What I really liked was the musical arrangements. From what I read, the band sat down before the album was made and agreed in detail how they would like it to sound. They utterly succeeded. I am a complete sucker for any kind of celtic music so the inclusion of violins, mandolins and accordion were really evocative in lifting the country rock feel. The production created a decent sound stage and I could easily pick out the placement of each instrument. Of the tracks, there were none that annoyed and none that particularly stood out as exceptional - I enjoyed them all. The instrumentation on each was what resonated most. What did strike me was the almost jaunty appalachian rock was in stark contrast to many of the lyrics that addressed social issues in quite a fatalistic way. Compare that jauntiness with the stark folk style of Springsteens masterpiece Nebraska.

I inevitably compared JM and this album to my favourite US singer/songwriters like Springsteen to help me determine a score. So where would I place this against Springsteens best? Not as good but I will give it a 7 which for me is a very high score for an album I haven't listened to before.

Certainly I liked it enough to play it again, probably when I am in a Springsteen mood but want something a little less familiar. I liked it enough to explore some of his other stuff, particularly his work with T Bone Burnett who I have a great affection for.

So for introducing me to something new, thanks @RobMCFC .
Great review! I agree about the arrangements and the Appalachian feel entirely.

T-Bone Burnett was the very first artist I ever saw live. That’s because he opened for The Clash and The Who. What a bill that was for one’s first show!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.