The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

I assume you do. Not sure if I'm supposed to 100% confirm before I make my review post tomorrow.
I'm not running a dictatorship here so there are no hard and fast rules.

You can confirm and or post now or tomorrow, it's no problem. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Had a really tough time choosing which album to review and after much though finally decided on a change of pace and genre and we’re going to be having some classical music. My choice is:

Bedřich Smetana - Má Vlast (My Homeland)

Despite not being as well known internationally as compatriot Dvořák, he is the most revered composer in his homeland and his composition Má Vlast is regarded by many as both his greatest work and the unofficial national anthem of the Czech Republic. What makes it an even more remarkable piece of work is that the majority of it was composed after he was completely deaf.

Má Vlast is a set of 6 symphonic poems composed between 1874 and 1879. These poems were set around the time of the Czech National revival, a cultural movement aiming to bring the Czech language and culture back to life after 200 years of Germanisation under Austro-Hungarian rule. As such it is considered a patriotic and nationalistic work. These 6 poems were originally composed individually and given their own premieres but were always designed to be played together as a series alternating between historical/mythological narrative and musical interpretations of prominent natural features, all the while celebrating his native Bohemia.

The 6 poems are:

Vyšehrad (High Castle) - The place where the Bohemian court flourished in the 8th century. A dreamy piece about the past. Sets the 4-note motif that crops up regularly in the other poems. O The harps of the seers begin; fortune tellers singing of goings on at Vyšehrad - fame, brilliance, tournaments, fights - up until the final decline and ruins. The song ends in an elegant tone of regret at the present ruin.

Vltava - Probably the most popular of the 6 movements and often played on its own in ‘best of’ concerts. It paints a portrait of Bohemia’s mighty river from its source (flutes and clarinets) as it winds its way through the country (strings) passing groves and meadows. Sometimes swift and shallow, sometimes deep and slow with the light of the sun flickering upon it (pizzicato). Along the way we hear hunting horns, wedding dances, merry feasts, and foaming rapids, finally disappearing into the Elbe.

Šárka - After the depiction of history and nature we move on to the legend of wild and passionate Šárka. A tale of love, betrayal, rage and revenge.

Z českých luhu a haju (From Bohemia's woods and fields) - Following the violence of Šárka, Smetana paints a pastoral portrait, celebrating the beauty of nature on a warm Summer’s day. At times cheerful, at times melancholic. The fugato of the strings represents the rustling of the wind in the grass and we hear hints of songs and polkas as they drift over the wide open countryside.

Tábor - A portrait of the Hussite warriors of the 15 century who set up their stronghold at the town of Tábor, which they were prepared to defend to their deaths. It conjures up imagery of their prayers, preparations for battle, glory and praise from their victories and sadness after their ultimate defeat.

Blaník - Blaník takes over from where Tabor left off, The Hussite heroes are now at peace under the mountain of Blaník, deep in sleep, always ready and waiting to come to the rescue of Bohemia in her time of need and led by St Wenceslas. A poem about hope for the future and a fitting way to end the work. Both Tábor and Blaník draw heavily from the Hussite hymn ‘Who are you, God’s warriors’.

The Czech Republic is the place I have always felt most at home and I am very passionate about all aspects of Czech culture, life and language. Consequently, it is a piece of work that is very important to me and I listen to it usually at least once a month. I love to put on my headphones, close my eyes and let the glorious magic of the music conjure up its own images. That’s how I would recommend listening to it if you can.

Classical music has always been my favourite and makes up probably 90% of my collection. I do realise that it isn’t to everybody’s tastes and that it isn’t likely to fare well in the scoring stakes but I hope that you will all find it pleasant enough for at least one full listen and that it brings you some of the pleasure that it has given me.

Of course there are many variations with different composers and orchestras. I would personally recommend Václav Talich conducting the Czech Philharmonic but as that is a 1954 recording (I think), the sound might not be as good as a more modern recording. For a more modern rendering, Jakub Hrůša conducting the Bamberg Symphony orchestra is very nice.

Sorry for the ramble!

Last edited:
Had a really tough time choosing which album to review and after much though finally decided on a change of pace and genre and we’re going to be having some classical music. My choice is:

Despite not being as well known internationally as compatriot Dvořák, he is the most revered composer in his homeland and his composition Má Vlast is regarded by many as both his greatest work and the unofficial national anthem of the Czech Republic. What makes it an even more remarkable piece of work is that the majority of it was composed after he was completely deaf.

Má Vlast is a set of 6 symphonic poems composed between 1874 and 1879. These poems were set around the time of the Czech National revival, a cultural movement aiming the bring the Czech language and culture back to life after 200 years of Germanisation under Austro-Hungarian rule. As such it is considered a patriotic and nationalistic work. These 6 poems were originally composed individually and given their own premieres but were always designed to be played together as a series alternating between historical/mythological narrative and musical interpretations of prominent natural features, all the while celebrating his native Bohemia.

The 6 poems are:

Vyšehrad (High Castle) - The place where the Bohemian court flourished in the 8th century. A dreamy piece about the past. Sets the 4-note motif that crops up regularly in the other poems. O The harps of the seers begin; fortune tellers singing of goings on at Vyšehrad - fame, brilliance, tournaments, fights - up until the final decline and ruins. The song ends in an elegant tone of regret at the present ruin.

Vltava - Probably the most popular of the 6 movements and often played on its own in ‘best of’ concerts. It paints a portrait of Bohemia’s mighty river from its source (flutes and clarinets) as it winds its way through the country (strings) passing groves and meadows. Sometimes swift and shallow, sometimes deep and slow with the light of the sun flickering upon it (pizzicato). Along the way we hear hunting horns, wedding dances, merry feasts, and foaming rapids, finally disappearing into the Elbe.

Šárka - After the depiction of history and nature we move on to the legend of wild and passionate Šárka. A tale of love, betrayal, rage and revenge.

Z českých luhu a haju (From Bohemia's woods and fields) - Following the violence of Šárka, Smetana paints a pastoral portrait, celebrating the beauty of nature on a warm Summer’s day. At times cheerful, at times melancholic. The fugato of the strings represents the rustling of the wind in the grass and we hear hints of songs and polkas as they drift over the wide open countryside.

Tábor - A portrait of the Hussite warriors of the 15 century who set up their stronghold at the town of Tábor, which they were prepared to defend to their deaths. It conjures up imagery of their prayers, preparations for battle, glory and praise from their victories and sadness after their ultimate defeat.

Blaník - Blaník takes over from where Tabor left off, The Hussite heroes are now at peace under the mountain of Blaník, deep in sleep, always ready and waiting to come to the rescue of Bohemia in her time of need and led by St Wenceslas. A poem about hope for the future and a fitting way to end the work. Both Tábor and Blaník draw heavily from the Hussite hymn ‘Who are you, God’s warriors’.

The Czech Republic is the place I have always felt most at home and I am very passionate about all aspects of Czech culture, life and language. Consequently, it is a piece of work that is very important to me and I listen to it usually at least once a month. I love to put on my headphones, close my eyes and let the glorious magic of the music conjure up its own images. That’s how I would recommend listening to it if you can.

Classical music has always been my favourite and makes up probably 90% of my collection. I do realise that it isn’t to everybody’s tastes and that it isn’t likely to fare well in the scoring takes but I hope that you will all find it pleasant enough for at least one full listen and that it brings you some of the pleasure that it has given me.

Sorry for the ramble!
Great write-up and as noted, I've already studied this as an 11-year old! Should be interesting to revisit it all these years later - I think I can still remember the main Vltava theme.

Great write-up and as noted, I've already studied this as an 11-year old! Should be interesting to revisit it all these years later - I think I can still remember the main Vltava theme.
Just added to my post something I forgot to point out as below:

Of course there are many variations with different conductors and orchestras. I would personally recommend Václav Talich conducting the Czech Philharmonic but as that is a 1954 recording (I think), the sound might not be as good as a more modern recording. For a more modern rendering, Jakub Hrůša conducting the Bamberg Symphony orchestra is very nice.

Last edited:

Má Vlast is a set of 6 symphonic poems composed between 1874 and 1879. These poems were set around the time of the Czech National revival, a cultural movement aiming the bring the Czech language and culture back to life after 200 years of Germanisation under Austro-Hungarian rule. As such it is considered a patriotic and nationalistic work. These 6 poems were originally composed individually and given their own premieres but were always designed to be played together as a series alternating between historical/mythological narrative and musical interpretations of prominent natural features, all the while celebrating his native Bohemia.

The 6 poems are:

Classical music has always been my favourite and makes up probably 90% of my collection. I do realise that it isn’t to everybody’s tastes and that it isn’t likely to fare well in the scoring takes but I hope that you will all find it pleasant enough for at least one full listen and that it brings you some of the pleasure that it has given me.

Sorry for the ramble!
Wow, what a great write up.
This thread never disappoints, can't wait to get stuck into this, although I'm in no position to judge it, given my limited knowledge of classical music.
Just good to see a total change of genre for us all to experience, and for that I applaud you mate.

The 6 poems are:

Of course there are many variations with different composers and orchestras. I would personally recommend Václav Talich conducting the Czech Philharmonic but as that is a 1954 recording (I think), the sound might not be as good as a more modern recording. For a more modern rendering, Jakub Hrůša conducting the Bamberg Symphony orchestra is very nice.

Sorry for the ramble!

Nice.

I know absolutely nothing about classical music - so why not start here!

I will listen and read into it all

As I was on you tube at the time of the reveal, I did a quick search and found this-

Is this a good version knaresy lad?

To be honest it's not a conductor or version I am familiar with. It's a decent orchestra though so I am sure it would be fine. I will have to give it a listen myself. I never thought to look for renditions on YouTube.

In particular those conducted by Talich, Pešek, Bělohlávek, Kubelík and Hrůša are very highly regarded.

If you can find Kubelík's 1990 live performance anywhere, it is very emotional. He left Czechoslovakia as the communists came to power and refused to return until they had been ousted. He was finally reunited with his beloved Czech Philharmonic in Prague in 1990 after decades away from his home. He came out of retirement for it and was probably a bit past his best but it's still very nice.

Talich's 1954 recording is my personal favourite and for a more modern rendition Hrůša is very good. I was at one of his concerts a couple of weeks ago and he is a very fine young conductor.

Last edited:
To be honest it's not a conductor or version I am familiar with. It's a decent orchestra though so I am sure it would be fine. I will have to give it a listen myself. I never thought to look for renditions on YouTube.
Fair go mate, to be fair it sounds pretty good to my untrained ear! I'm 25 minutes in and I haven't put Beyonce on yet so it's doing well ;-)

In particular those conducted by Talich, Pešek, Bělohlávek, Kubelík and Hrůša are very highly regarded.

If you can find Kubelík's 1990 live performance anywhere, it is very emotional. He left Czechoslovakia as the communists came to power and refused to return until they had been ousted. He was finally reunited with his beloved Czech Philharmonic in Prague in 1990 after decades away from his home. He came out of retirement for it and was probably a bit past his best but it's still very nice.
That's part of why I'm enjoying discovering classical music, there's always an interesting back story.
So much to learn, it's fascinating, totally different from the music I'm used to, and a welcome escape.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.