The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

And I am the opposite though I typically like more than 4 Jam songs per record. Yet I can deal with the ups and downs of Quadrophenia in deference to the entire concept quite easily; it's one of my favo(u)rite albums and even nudges out Who's Next, which is saying something given my favo(u)rite song of all time is on WN. Meantime I am quite sure I listened to Snap more than any other Jam record when living with my Jam-obsessed college roommate.
My brother was a big Who fan and tried to educate me to their greatness which I naturally resisted. Nowadays though I think Quadrophenia is a great album but like the Wall has to be listened to in its entirety. I can quite happily cue up a playlist of Who songs though to while away an hour or so.

I have never liked an Who album the whole way through.
A best off does me.
Usually 4 great songs on each album then I struggle with the rest.
Who's Next is my favourite of theirs from start to finish.

After finding only a few tracks from there on one of their GH compilations, I made my own which included the rest of the album. Not a clunker on there, IMO.

My brother was a big Who fan and tried to educate me to their greatness which I naturally resisted. Nowadays though I think Quadrophenia is a great album but like the Wall has to be listened to in its entirety. I can quite happily cue up a playlist of Who songs though to while away an hour or so.
Quadrophenia is class. I agree it needs to be played in its entirety.
I like The Wall but always thought one side was well below par. Think it’s the third from memory.

A lot of my write up on this will revolve around Foxton's basslines which were imo completely integral to The Jam's success. I get where Foggy's coming from re. Weller not being a particularly hooky writer in terms of his melodies but then he didn't need to be because often the bassline provided that. Just as an example off this album, think about Down In The Tube Station without that baseline.
It's quite staggering the number of prominent bass lines Foxton came up with. The perfect testimony to Bruce is the amount bass intros The Jam had.....Start!, The Eton Rifles, Pretty Green, Monday, A Town Called Malice, Private Hell, Funeral Pyre to name but a few. I can't think of another band that used so many bass intros.

As for All Mod Cons standing as a an album? Well as a body of work its stood the test of time well IMHO. Consider this.........all the songs bar one were written by a 20 year old in the back garden of his mum and dad's council house in suburban Woking. Weller was a truly precocious talent, the rhythm section complimented the songs perfectly. Also a mention should be given to Vic Coppersmith-Heaven's production, he double tracks the guitars and adds lots of extra layers into each song.
Highlights for me:
Tube Station
Fly
In The Crowd
English Rose

Its one of my favourite albums.

All Mod Cons - The Jam

Thanks @BlueHammer85 for this link, as I typically find these quite informative, especially as is the case this week.

After reading most of the reviews here this week, I think I'm in a unique category of one: I've never have heard any song from this album, much less have heard of this band. There, I've said it, and now that that is out of way, we know what that usually means when it comes to reviews. I remember what I was doing as a pre-teen in 1978, and it wasn't listening to this.

There are four distinct aspects of this album that stand out to me in not having any history that summarize my feelings on the songs:

1) the writing and the lyrics - first and foremost, this part required multiple (more than 3) non-distracted listens to really get some of the themes to this. "English Rose" was the first song that really stuck out to me, and might be my favourite here. Just beautifully written and performed, it really was arranged on the album in such a way to bridge the more faster band driven Mod tunes that were the staple. After that, "Down In The Tube Station at Midnight" was a perfectly written and performed closer too. The imagery conjured up in the song is one any listener can probably relate to, the storytelling in that song was top notch. Pull out the Queen, too many right wing meetings, the curry's gone cold, just really well done. "Fly" was another nice interlude track and a well crafted song.

2) the UK angle of the underdog band - The Kinks were one of my 70's bands too, more than the Who, but I was fans of both over the Clash and other punk bands at the time. "David Watts" was one song a buddy of mine would listen to off his Kinks album and I was introduced to the genius of Ray Davies. The Jam do a good version of this, even if I still prefer the original. Accompanying songs such as "To Be Someone (Didn't We Have A Nice Time)" and "In The Crowd" were all songs of yearning and expressed a desire to be more than they were, and all honestly written, going back to point 1. I can see why this band and Paul Weller are considered UK icons - they present honest lyrics and a straightforward rock approach, and they certainly sound like nothing I remember hearing from their time. More like that 60's Mods vibe they are trying to capture, just a decade later.

3) the Bass - as @Coatigan and others have noted, it really is pronounced and certainly carries more than a few songs. I'd argue Bruce Foxton is the unsung hero of the group, but others can correct me if he's gotten his due amoungst the true fans who 'get it'. The bass shines throughout, but in particular on "All Mod Cons", more than a few songs I've mentioned, and "Mr. Clean".

4) the sound effects - certainly inspired by other bands that effectively used them (The Who in Quadrophenia in particular), I thought they really did a great job of adding this at the start of "English Rose" and "Down In The Tube Station at Midnight".

I can see how this band would be revered and popular in the UK, and yes, it's a shame it took me this many years to finally hear of them, but... I like what I heard, and hope to hear more. I've been binging on Biffy and Idlewild from the Playlist thread after some recent discussions there along with other new releases - always hard to fit it all in.

For me, this would be a 6.5 not having the context or memories, but given the strong appreciation for the lyrics and the UK impact, I'm giving it a 7.5/10 overall. I'm glad to see this album in particular has brought out some new postings from fans who have a much better context than myself. It's helpful for those like myself without the background on this selection.

Last edited:
Supported Blue Oyster Cult in 1978 over in the States.
That was never going to work for them.
I'm re-reading all of the posts I really didn't really 'get' prior to listening to this album.

I'm sure those opening shows was a brutal experience given the difference of tastes of the fans there to see BOC ("More cowbell!"?), and it was mentioned in the YT video on this album that this was before this album was recorded, and there was a giant leap forward with All Mod Cons. But those tastes were never going to align.
This week's nominator is @bennyboy, who had this to say about his choice:-

Seemingly based on the Ray Davis and the Kinks but I know nothing about their music but there is a cover of a Ray Davis song on this.
I was a bit shocked to see this admission after hearing this album given how much the Kinks inspired Weller and the Jam.

The Kinks are a band worth checking out, but not sure I'd be the right one to nominate them. Where have all the good times gone? ;-)

This is not an album that I would put on with my wife or play in the background in company. It is very much a male album of its time and of its time I would say it’s better than INXS.
That was very well said, even if it took me nearly a week to have the context to agree totally with first-hand experience. While driving around the Pacific NW over the past weekend enjoying a break from the southeastern US heat wave, I didn't dare try this one out for the missus after my first listen prior.

Know. Your. Audience. In. The. Car.

That was very well said, even if it took me nearly a week to have the context to agree totally with first-hand experience. While driving around the Pacific NW over the past weekend enjoying a break from the southeastern US heat wave, I didn't dare try this one out for the missus after my first listen prior.

Know. Your. Audience. In. The. Car.
My wife, oddly enough, really enjoyed this record and remembered a lot of it from college too. Of course we went to the same school and had the same friends so . . .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.