The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Hopefully that 11 will offset the - 1 it might get from another listener!

Levi Stubbs Tears should be a much better known song than it is. It peaked at no 29 in the charts on a week when "Its 'orrible being in love when you're eight and a half" managed to make the top 20.

The 12 inch b-side had a really good reimagining of Walk Away Renee on it.

The Redskins version is amazing

I didn't realise this was a Billy Bragg album until he started singing and it made me realise that I'd only ever heard his famous stuff before. However, I was a bit unsure I could take a full album of his singing as his voice grates with me a bit.

Like threespires, I adore Shipbuilding. It's a masterpiece of a protest song - quiet, clever and brilliantly written. He really has the ability to write a song.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the album. I wouldn't have expected to like an album like this but he tells a good story and can write some decent hooks. I didn't have a favourite song as such but generally enjoyed them all and didn't find his voice grating! :)

8/10

Had been to see Rik Mayall Ben Elton and Andy de la Toure at Edinburgh Fringe and saw a poster for Billy playing Theatre Workshop .. this was for the Spy vs Spy launch . I had heard one track on Peel ( his version of Route66) so took a chance and went and blagged my way in.
No exaggeration it changed my life as much as The Clash did.
His rants and politics just made sense as did the music.

Between the Wars and Shipbuilding are probably my two favourite songs of that type. I like a shouty protest song as much as the next person but there is something special about the sadness and quiet anger of those two songs.

Absolutely bang on. Both brilliant protest songs. Off to download both songs.

Had been to see Rik Mayall Ben Elton and Andy de la Toure at Edinburgh Fringe and saw a poster for Billy playing Theatre Workshop .. this was for the Spy vs Spy launch . I had heard one track on Peel ( his version of Route66) so took a chance and went and blagged my way in.

We don't have a great tradition of romance of the road songs in Britain, in response to this Richard Thompson wrote 52 Vincent Black Lightening and Billy wrote A13 Trunk Rd To The Sea. Very different songs but I love them both!

What I've always loved about him is he was never po faced about it all. Along with the passion he had a sense of humour and a lot of soul.

Sadly not for me.
The voice started getting on my nerves.A couple of okay songs.
Greetings for the new brunette.Train Train.Help save the youth of America.Deportees and Sin City.Okay.
Would have been a 4 but a bonus point for getting me to listen to The Flying Burrito Brothers after it finished.5/10.

Sadly not for me.
The voice started getting on my nerves.A couple of okay songs.
Greetings for the new brunette.Train Train.Help save the youth of America.Deportees and Sin City.Okay.
Would have been a 4 but a bonus point for getting me to listen to The Flying Burrito Brothers after it finished.5/10.

What Flying Burrito Brothers was it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.