The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Talking with the Taxman About Poetry – Billy Bragg

Before even listening to this, I made a comment about being put off in the past by Billy Bragg’s cockney accent. That’s not intended to be a regionalist thing, it’s simply that anybody who sings with a remotely cockney accent (or Essex or wherever in the South-East) sounds displeasing to my ears.

I blame The Jam and Chas ‘n’ Dave, even though I like some Chas ‘n’ Dave songs for their comedy value, but I still don’t like The Jam.

Generally, I like it when artists perform in their true voice: Midnight Oil’s Peter Garrett is an angry Australian and that’s exactly how he sounds, The Proclaimer’s celebrate their Scottish roots and countless other artists defy the 90% that adopt a mid-Atlantic voice from nowhere in their music.

With that out of the way, let’s get on with the review. The sound of this album is fabulous: whether they are electric or acoustic, the guitars ring clear on all of these songs, and the mix is uncluttered giving Billy Bragg the space he needs to deliver his lyrics. Whilst some of the songs are enhanced by subtle touches from other instruments, and songs like “Train, Train” and “Help Save The Youth of America” chug along at a satisfying gait, it’s Bragg’s lyrics that shine through and make this album a success.

“Levi Stubbs’ Tears” is a heart-breaking song about a woman abused by her husband, and Bragg really piles on the misery at the same time providing relief for his protagonist in the healing power of music. Whilst four or five blokes (or women) standing in a line, belting out their voices with not a guitar in sight, is not my idea of music, I certainly appreciate the sentiment of the song. I can’t claim the credit for this one because I found an interesting take on one of the lines in this song on a lyrics site:-

“Holland and Holland and Lamont Dozier too”. Clearly that’s a reference to the renowned Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team, right? Well, it must be, but why did he write “Holland and Holland” first? Turns out they are a famous London-based gun manufacturer, so this fits in with the “And put a hole in her body where no hole should be” lyric. A very clever lyric there.

On “Help Save The Youth of America”, Bragg sings the following words, which are incredibly apt 37 years later:-

“And the incident at Chernobyl proves / The world we live in is very small. And the cities of Europe have burned before and they may yet burn again / And if they do I hope you understand that Washington will burn with them.”

Using the recent Chernobyl disaster as a frame for this last part of the song, Bragg illustrates how we are all interconnected, and how that includes the US, despite their physical distance from Europe. I remember US-USSR tensions at the time and the threat of nuclear was a ominous prospect – the fallout from the damaged reactor at Chernobyl doing little to ease this fear. (I believe the song was actually about how comfortable American may be but that they somehow need to find the desire for social change – but that last couple of verses really struck a chord with me).

It took until the third listen and reading the lyrics to realise it, but the album finishes with one of its strongest songs. I come from a strong and loving home, so I don’t identify with the child portrayed, but Bragg’s simple words, painting the picture of a normal family getting on with life whilst their child suffers some torment, conjures such a feeling of empathy that you can’t help but be moved by the song:-

“I'll trade my love today for a greater love tomorrow / The lonely child looks out and dreams of independence from this family life sentence”.

Haunting and beautiful.

Mind you, Bragg also drops the odd heavy-handed clanger as well. In “There is Power in a Union”, he sings:-

"But who'll defend the workers who cannot organize when the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?”

I was interested to see what appeared to be a co-write with Bob Dylan, but “Ideology” simply re-uses the melody of “Chimes of Freedom” (and why not, it’s a beautiful melody).

As a side note, I included a Weddings Parties Anything song on my recent Aussie playlist, and on the album that song came from, they did a duet with Billy (“An Island of Humour”).

By the end of my listens to Talking with the Taxman About Poetry, I’ve come away with a new respect for Billy Bragg. He keeps the music simple and uncluttered, and whilst his accent does grate by the end of the album, he certainly won me over with his lyrics, which is the main reason why this scores 8/10.

This has been an odd one for me. I like the guitar. I don't mind the voice (or the 'accent') one bit. I love a lot of the lyrics, I like the rest. The songwriting is good. Yet, put it all together, and I'm not that into it. There is a lot to appreciate there, and I can see that, but I'm just not feeling it. And I do like a bit of activism in music, blurring the line with poetry etc.

Maybe it is the sound of it/the recording. The somewhat echoey feel and a voice arguably louder than it should be. It feels more like a collection by stand-up comedian on stage, more than a studio album, and I guess I am unprepared for it.

That said, some of the lyrics did make me chuckle at times, nod my head in agreement, or raise an eyebrow. And clearly he is a capable musician.

What I really enjoyed is the two extra songs threespires added, they were lovely. They also made me come full circle to thinking that with just a bit more production and recording refinement I'd have got a lot more into the album. I get I may actually be missing the point in saying that, and maybe I need more time to not let that distract me, but that is just my reaction to the 3 listens.

Incidentally, I think using your week to expand discussion and post other songs by the artist should be encouraged more. Feels like sometines we are hesitant and I myself have felt worried about being too pushy, but if there ever is a time to do it surely it is the week of the album. The more popular albums, that happens almost naturally as people will share and prompt discussion, it is the lesser known ones that need it more, and I see no harm in that.

Overall, I can see myself getting into Bragg, I think I just need to give it more time (which with me is quite common). Based on the 3 listens, probably a 6.

This has been an odd one for me. I like the guitar. I don't mind the voice (or the 'accent') one bit. I love a lot of the lyrics, I like the rest. The songwriting is good. Yet, put it all together, and I'm not that into it. There is a lot to appreciate there, and I can see that, but I'm just not feeling it. And I do like a bit of activism in music, blurring the line with poetry etc.

Maybe it is the sound of it/the recording. The somewhat echoey feel and a voice arguably louder than it should be. It feels more like a collection by stand-up comedian on stage, more than a studio album, and I guess I am unprepared for it.

That said, some of the lyrics did make me chuckle at times, nod my head in agreement, or raise an eyebrow. And clearly he is a capable musician.

What I really enjoyed is the two extra songs threespires added, they were lovely. They also made me come full circle to thinking that with just a bit more production and recording refinement I'd have got a lot more into the album. I get I may actually be missing the point in saying that, and maybe I need more time to not let that distract me, but that is just my reaction to the 3 listens.

Incidentally, I think using your week to expand discussion and post other songs by the artist should be encouraged more. Feels like sometines we are hesitant and I myself have felt worried about being too pushy, but if there ever is a time to do it surely it is the week of the album. The more popular albums, that happens almost naturally as people will share and prompt discussion, it is the lesser known ones that need it more, and I see no harm in that.

Overall, I can see myself getting into Bragg, I think I just need to give it more time (which with me is quite common). Based on the 3 listens, probably a 6.

Those additional two songs I mentioned are from his 6th album Don't Try This At Home which I think based on your comments you should definitely give a whirl. I did think about nominating that album, TWTTAP is in some ways a transitional album, he's moving on from the DIY troubadour of the first two albums but it's not yet a full blown production in the way that DTTAH is, in addition to his earlier collaborators like Cara Tivey it's got over 20 musicians on it including the likes of Peter Buck and Michael Stipe and is co-produced by Johnny Marr. It's starts in very archetypal early Bragg fashion with Accident Waiting to Happen but expands out into a lusher and eclectic affair. I think @bennyboy might have preferred that album too or at least some of it, but it was a bit too chronologically removed from my explanation of how I feel in love with Bragg.

Unsurprisingly I agree about expanding discussion, I did wonder if it felt a bit like trying to force stuff on people but given I'd not chosen a clear favourite album I wanted to expand a bit on my view of him and I figured people can choose to ignore as much as they wanted. Similarly I'm happy to discuss the Guthrie/Wilco connection that Benny has focused on too. I'd probably go further in that personally I'm happy to talk about broader questions on the genre etc of any given pick; to your point it's a discussion not just a ratings thread and if not here then where?

Those additional two songs I mentioned are from his 6th album Don't Try This At Home which I think based on your comments you should definitely give a whirl. I did think about nominating that album, TWTTAP is in some ways a transitional album, he's moving on from the DIY troubadour of the first two albums but it's not yet a full blown production in the way that DTTAH is, in addition to his earlier collaborators like Cara Tivey it's got over 20 musicians on it including the likes of Peter Buck and Michael Stipe and is co-produced by Johnny Marr. It's starts in very archetypal early Bragg fashion with Accident Waiting to Happen but expands out into a lusher and eclectic affair. I think @bennyboy might have preferred that album too or at least some of it, but it was a bit too chronologically removed from my explanation of how I feel in love with Bragg.

Unsurprisingly I agree about expanding discussion, I did wonder if it felt a bit like trying to force stuff on people but given I'd not chosen a clear favourite album I wanted to expand a bit on my view of him and I figured people can choose to ignore as much as they wanted. Similarly I'm happy to discuss the Guthrie/Wilco connection that Benny has focused on too. I'd probably go further in that personally I'm happy to talk about broader questions on the genre etc of any given pick; to your point it's a discussion not just a ratings thread and if not here then where?
Will give a listen to don't try this at home.
Noticed it has the track Sexuality a song I liked.

Talking with the Taxman About Poetry – Billy Bragg

Before even listening to this, I made a comment about being put off in the past by Billy Bragg’s cockney accent. That’s not intended to be a regionalist thing, it’s simply that anybody who sings with a remotely cockney accent (or Essex or wherever in the South-East) sounds displeasing to my ears.

I blame The Jam and Chas ‘n’ Dave, even though I like some Chas ‘n’ Dave songs for their comedy value, but I still don’t like The Jam.

Generally, I like it when artists perform in their true voice: Midnight Oil’s Peter Garrett is an angry Australian and that’s exactly how he sounds, The Proclaimer’s celebrate their Scottish roots and countless other artists defy the 90% that adopt a mid-Atlantic voice from nowhere in their music.

With that out of the way, let’s get on with the review. The sound of this album is fabulous: whether they are electric or acoustic, the guitars ring clear on all of these songs, and the mix is uncluttered giving Billy Bragg the space he needs to deliver his lyrics. Whilst some of the songs are enhanced by subtle touches from other instruments, and songs like “Train, Train” and “Help Save The Youth of America” chug along at a satisfying gait, it’s Bragg’s lyrics that shine through and make this album a success.

“Levi Stubbs’ Tears” is a heart-breaking song about a woman abused by her husband, and Bragg really piles on the misery at the same time providing relief for his protagonist in the healing power of music. Whilst four or five blokes (or women) standing in a line, belting out their voices with not a guitar in sight, is not my idea of music, I certainly appreciate the sentiment of the song. I can’t claim the credit for this one because I found an interesting take on one of the lines in this song on a lyrics site:-

“Holland and Holland and Lamont Dozier too”. Clearly that’s a reference to the renowned Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team, right? Well, it must be, but why did he write “Holland and Holland” first? Turns out they are a famous London-based gun manufacturer, so this fits in with the “And put a hole in her body where no hole should be” lyric. A very clever lyric there.

On “Help Save The Youth of America”, Bragg sings the following words, which are incredibly apt 37 years later:-

“And the incident at Chernobyl proves / The world we live in is very small. And the cities of Europe have burned before and they may yet burn again / And if they do I hope you understand that Washington will burn with them.”

Using the recent Chernobyl disaster as a frame for this last part of the song, Bragg illustrates how we are all interconnected, and how that includes the US, despite their physical distance from Europe. I remember US-USSR tensions at the time and the threat of nuclear was a ominous prospect – the fallout from the damaged reactor at Chernobyl doing little to ease this fear. (I believe the song was actually about how comfortable American may be but that they somehow need to find the desire for social change – but that last couple of verses really struck a chord with me).

It took until the third listen and reading the lyrics to realise it, but the album finishes with one of its strongest songs. I come from a strong and loving home, so I don’t identify with the child portrayed, but Bragg’s simple words, painting the picture of a normal family getting on with life whilst their child suffers some torment, conjures such a feeling of empathy that you can’t help but be moved by the song:-

“I'll trade my love today for a greater love tomorrow / The lonely child looks out and dreams of independence from this family life sentence”.

Haunting and beautiful.

Mind you, Bragg also drops the odd heavy-handed clanger as well. In “There is Power in a Union”, he sings:-

"But who'll defend the workers who cannot organize when the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?”

I was interested to see what appeared to be a co-write with Bob Dylan, but “Ideology” simply re-uses the melody of “Chimes of Freedom” (and why not, it’s a beautiful melody).

As a side note, I included a Weddings Parties Anything song on my recent Aussie playlist, and on the album that song came from, they did a duet with Billy (“An Island of Humour”).

By the end of my listens to Talking with the Taxman About Poetry, I’ve come away with a new respect for Billy Bragg. He keeps the music simple and uncluttered, and whilst his accent does grate by the end of the album, he certainly won me over with his lyrics, which is the main reason why this scores 8/10.

Nice review Rob. On the subject of Bragg's sound, I think in part it was due to his unusual choice of guitar in the early days. He had a Burns Steer of which only about 40 were ever made so I don't think they got out of prototype stage. It's a semi-hollow but it's a bit of a weird beast and makes a very distinctive sound.

1690287848686.png

I think you're a fan of a resonator too? He's got a fantastic 1930's National, again I need to read the full story of how he actually got his hands on it.

1690288035235.png

I think he's always been a bit of a musicologist but as he's got older that's become an even bigger thing and he wrote a really good book called: Roots, Radicals and Rockers: How Skiffle Changed the World, which isn't as niche as it sounds! A very decent and interesting read for anyone who really likes their music.

DIY troubadour is a pretty good description. Will give the later album a go.

Totally understand about feeling like you are forcing something, been there. But sometimes, artists have really strong songs outwith the album at hand, or ones that offer something different or more their type, and I think it is worthwhile saying that. Or at the end of the day, it may just mean something to you and needs shared. In fairness one or two here will offen do their own looking at other songs beyond the nomination. Still, a bit of direction helps imo.

Will give a listen to don't try this at home.
Noticed it has the track Sexuality a song I liked.

Going back to the Wilco/Guthrie connection, the Buck/Stipe contribution to that album is on a song called 'You Woke Up My Neighbourhood' which was inspired by Guthrie and I think you can see the link to the stuff he'd end up doing on Mermaid Avenue.

I like a lot of things about that album including the fact they didn't just try and create Guthrie songs, they did their own thing. I also like the cameos from Eliza Carthy and Natalie Merchant both of whom I really rate.

The making of that album and how Bragg then Wilco got involved is interesting. Apparently Bob Dylan had a bit of a (understandable) 'it should have been me' moment in that he visited Guthrie in the later years of his life and Guthrie told him to go and get they lyrics/words that he'd written but when he went round to the house the babysitter didn't know where the box was and so they sat there for decades until Guthrie's daughter contacted Bragg to do something with them, in fairness Braggs initial response apparently was shouldn't this be Bob Dylans job? I've not read Dylan's autobiography but I think he refers to the words as 'falling into the hands' of artists who weren't even born when he went round to try and collect them!

Nice review Rob. On the subject of Bragg's sound, I think in part it was due to his unusual choice of guitar in the early days. He had a Burns Steer of which only about 40 were ever made so I don't think they got out of prototype stage. It's a semi-hollow but it's a bit of a weird beast and makes a very distinctive sound.

View attachment 87670

I think you're a fan of a resonator too? He's got a fantastic 1930's National, again I need to read the full story of how he actually got his hands on it.

View attachment 87671

I think he's always been a bit of a musicologist but as he's got older that's become an even bigger thing and he wrote a really good book called: Roots, Radicals and Rockers: How Skiffle Changed the World, which isn't as niche as it sounds! A very decent and interesting read for anyone who really likes their music.

Yes. Not only is the resonator great to hear, it's beautiful to look at too.

Awesome interview, love he talks so frank and honest and a insight into the Music industry pre internet age and politics.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.