The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Astral Weeks – Van Morrison

Who hasn’t heard of Astral Weeks? There can’t be many music fans who that applies to because it’s regularly lauded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Who hasn’t heard Astral Weeks? Well, there’s me at least.

It’s been interesting reading the reviews so far because a lot of what has been said is exactly what I was thinking as I was listening to Van Morrison’s classic.

Whilst it’s certainly not a bad album, there are too many tracks that spend too long going nowhere. It’s like sitting on a bus waiting in traffic only to find that the destination wasn’t worth all the torment (or maybe the destination didn’t exist). That’s not to say that music can’t be enjoyed if it’s slow or whimsical, but to my ear, it’s a matter of how you present it.

Let’s start with the negatives. The title track and “Beside You” are OK but nothing special. I think Van Morrison’s voice is OK and there are little touches from the instruments that hint at what might have been. The last three tracks suck any momentum out of the album. Van’s voice is so repetitive here – he may be singing different words in each line but the delivery of each is almost identical such that he might as well be singing the same thing again. I wouldn’t want to listen to these songs again. Dylan does this sometimes in songs and I hate it, even though I like a lot of his work.

However, “Sweet Thing”, “Cypress Avenue” and “The Way Young Lovers Do” provide a satisfying listen that is lacking in the rest of the album. Those acoustic guitars give the first and third of those tracks a nice shot of pace, and even though “Cypress Avenue” is again a slower song, it has changes. I’ve put that bit in bold because it is so important. It’s not whether a song is fast or slow, it’s the way the music shifts and the artist’s voice with it.

I’ve read that this album influenced Bruce Springsteen’s first two albums, and I can hear influences on other artists I admire such as Counting Crows. It’s interesting that @Black&White&BlueMoon Town mentioned The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle because after listening to Astral Weeks, I went back and played "Kitty’s Back” and “Rosalita” from this, one of The Boss’s best albums. The sheer joie de vivre in these early tracks from Bruce is sorely lacking from Van Morrison’s effort. I think Bruce’s debut, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, actually suffers from some of the same problems as Astral Weeks, and the improvement between albums 1 and 2 in his case was astounding.

Some of the playing on this album is very good – the walking bass lines are great, there’s some nice fiddle and a bit of orchestration, but for me, the arrangements also let the overall sound down. Too much of Van’s voice and not enough use of the players at his disposal.

It's also worth noting that as a few people have mentioned Moondance, I had a listen to that album as well, and this is much more up my street. I have heard the title track sung by a few crooners over the years yet I never knew it was a Van Morrison song! His original version is far better than the Michael Buble treatment.

So, after all of that, where does it leave us for a score? I would say that 5 sounds about right, but I’ll give him an extra point for the clear influence on other artists that followed in his wake – and crucially, improved upon the formula: 6/10.

Given you nominated Bruce's 2nd album earlier this summer, I'd at least be interested in how you see the parallels in both albums, given Astral Weeks was such a big influence of Bruce's first album, and 2 tracks of note from his second:
Na mate, I am a very casual observer of this thread these days. Glad you enjoy Bruce’s album though.

Just couldn't get into this no matter how hard I tried. It Should actually be something up my street, but on this particular week, with these 3 listens, it was not.

I don't want to go too far trying to explain why, as with best will in the world it would still sound unnecessarily vitriolic. Others have touched on it, I'll focus on my obvious things that put me off.

His karaoke singing. And by that I mean almost all songs sound like he is just singing his own thing, over an otherwise well crafted and performed backing track. FFS sync up for at least 30 seconds at some point and I might ignore it. I get he is a poet troubador, but the detachment really grates on me. Then there is his voice, and a total lack of finesse. By choice, not by ability, which is evident. In some ways, I do genuinely respect the whole 'singing for himsel and nobody else' thing, plenty I like do that. And if being honest, it probably works for what he wants it to be and for those that like it. It is not for me. The final gripe is the songs themselves never seem to go anywhere. A nice unfolding on one or two, but just a bit of a beginning middle and end from time to time to break it up might be good.

Songs worthy of praise, Sweet Thing, for a more gentle break from the wailing. The Way Young lovers do, for the richness of the 'backing track'. Probably the closest he came to being part of a song for me. Ballerina, for the pace and and mood. Slim Slow slide for similar with a great bass layer.

It has certainly changed how I saw Van Morrison. I really can't go higher than a 4 overall though. Really sorry.

Astral Weeks – Van Morrison

Who hasn’t heard of Astral Weeks? There can’t be many music fans who that applies to because it’s regularly lauded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Who hasn’t heard Astral Weeks? Well, there’s me at least.

It’s been interesting reading the reviews so far because a lot of what has been said is exactly what I was thinking as I was listening to Van Morrison’s classic.

Whilst it’s certainly not a bad album, there are too many tracks that spend too long going nowhere. It’s like sitting on a bus waiting in traffic only to find that the destination wasn’t worth all the torment (or maybe the destination didn’t exist). That’s not to say that music can’t be enjoyed if it’s slow or whimsical, but to my ear, it’s a matter of how you present it.

Let’s start with the negatives. The title track and “Beside You” are OK but nothing special. I think Van Morrison’s voice is OK and there are little touches from the instruments that hint at what might have been. The last three tracks suck any momentum out of the album. Van’s voice is so repetitive here – he may be singing different words in each line but the delivery of each is almost identical such that he might as well be singing the same thing again. I wouldn’t want to listen to these songs again. Dylan does this sometimes in songs and I hate it, even though I like a lot of his work.

However, “Sweet Thing”, “Cypress Avenue” and “The Way Young Lovers Do” provide a satisfying listen that is lacking in the rest of the album. Those acoustic guitars give the first and third of those tracks a nice shot of pace, and even though “Cypress Avenue” is again a slower song, it has changes. I’ve put that bit in bold because it is so important. It’s not whether a song is fast or slow, it’s the way the music shifts and the artist’s voice with it.

I’ve read that this album influenced Bruce Springsteen’s first two albums, and I can hear influences on other artists I admire such as Counting Crows. It’s interesting that @Black&White&BlueMoon Town mentioned The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle because after listening to Astral Weeks, I went back and played "Kitty’s Back” and “Rosalita” from this, one of The Boss’s best albums. The sheer joie de vivre in these early tracks from Bruce is sorely lacking from Van Morrison’s effort. I think Bruce’s debut, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, actually suffers from some of the same problems as Astral Weeks, and the improvement between albums 1 and 2 in his case was astounding.

Some of the playing on this album is very good – the walking bass lines are great, there’s some nice fiddle and a bit of orchestration, but for me, the arrangements also let the overall sound down. Too much of Van’s voice and not enough use of the players at his disposal.

It's also worth noting that as a few people have mentioned Moondance, I had a listen to that album as well, and this is much more up my street. I have heard the title track sung by a few crooners over the years yet I never knew it was a Van Morrison song! His original version is far better than the Michael Buble treatment.

So, after all of that, where does it leave us for a score? I would say that 5 sounds about right, but I’ll give him an extra point for the clear influence on other artists that followed in his wake – and crucially, improved upon the formula: 6/10.
I’d never heard of this album if it helps - although to be associated with my musical taste and knowledge is probably not a good accolade.
As an aside are you able to mention Michael Buble without any retribution on here?!!

I’d never heard of this album if it helps - although to be associated with my musical taste and knowledge is probably not a good accolade.
As an aside are you able to mention Michael Buble without any retribution on here?!!
I simply mentioned him because when I started talking about "Moondance" my family commented that they'd heard him singing it.

So Van the man is a grumpy fucker and I'm afraid I am going to sound like a grumpy fucker with this review...I wonder if I should give the man himself feedback from the thread when next I see him!!!!

I thought the first 2 tracks could simply have been left off the album as they did nothing for me. Perhaps an exageration as I did quite like the bass/flute on the first one, but ultimately quite forgettable. I just had this image of him singing with eyes firmly shut and one arm waving in the air as he "feels it".

Sweet Thing, Cyprus Avenue, The Way Young lovers Do were OK as the tempo lifted before the album once again dropped back for me to being forgettable.

I do wonder if it is that thing of it needing repeated listens, buit then I thought that I would perhaps be trying to make myself like it. Well, 3 listens for me and that was enough and I don't think I shall ever return to this album.

Trying to score it then, I have to put it up against the marks I have given others, the lowest of which was PJ where I gave a 4. I think there was a improvement with those 3 middle songs but even with that it doesnt take me that much higher than that mark...So it's a 5 from the Derry jury

Van the Man was one of those artists that I avoided for a long time. I once turned down comps for one of his gigs. I did eventually see him live a few years ago, free tickets again as it happens, but I went because he was on a double bill with the late exceptionally great Jeff Beck. As it happens, Mr Grumpy was rather enjoyable, not least because he is one of those artists who insists on having a crack band that is as well drilled as a regiment of Grenadier Guards.

Since that gig I have added a VM greatest hits and two of his studio albums to the collection. The latter two of course being Moondance and Astral Weeks. I prefer Moodndance.

I don’t have a huge amount to add to what others have said. I do find that Astral Weeks may be one of the most overrated albums ever. It may have been an original mix of music when it was released but it often borders on the edge of being a meandering mess. That said, I don’t find it unpleasant but it does not captivate me and it doesn’t get my toes tapping or my head shaking (TBF, I was never into spraying my dandruff about even when I had hair).

I’m not feeling as generous a Rob so no extra points: 5/10.

Never heard of it before, and not really a Van fan. I don't care if he's a miserable fucker, it hasn't stopped my liking of some Morrissey songs!

Pleasantly surprised. I was lying in bed, watching the rain caress the windows whilst this was on and my mood seemed to fit the music. Which I like.

This gets a 6 plus 1 for a mood matching surprise. A 7!

Never heard of it before, and not really a Van fan. I don't care if he's a miserable fucker, it hasn't stopped my liking of some Morrissey songs!

Pleasantly surprised. I was lying in bed, watching the rain caress the windows whilst this was on and my mood seemed to fit the music. Which I like.

This gets a 6 plus 1 for a mood matching surprise. A 7!

Wow. I am properly astounded by this.

It's dull. A kooky breathless voice woman and a man on a guitar. I'm a hoover repair guy and I'm going to sing a song about it...nope, fuck off. I imagine they probably have talent but I really, really, really hate this sort of music. Really.

And of course music is for me. You love Oasis, I can't stand them. You went to see David Gray, I'd rather have my testicles stamped on, repeatedly.You'll probably hate my next choice, everyone will probably hate it if I'm honest, but that's music for you.

It's a 0/1 out of 10 for the same reason that foggy hated the DM album. That was his thoughts about it. And this review was mine.

Imagine if we were all the same.
As in, I thought you hated this type of music, man on a guitar singing about his hoover and all that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.