The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

An album I know back to front and front to back. Rightly a classic and has a completely unique atmosphere. When you are in the mood, there is nothing to touch it.

It's very strange album in that when you are in a certain type of mood it really touches a chord and you get lost in it at quite an emotional level. I've never quite worked out what it's trick is in that respect but I do think it's staggering that he was 22 or 23 when he wrote it.

Yup. But Nick Logan in particular did write a lot of shite at times.

A lot of tosh has been written about this album but then again it's impressive that people project all sorts of things onto it. My own personal bug bear is the various critics who say The Way Young Lovers Do doesn't "belong" on the album because it's not got the semi-mystical gnomic lyrics and tempo of the rest of the album, thereby ignoring the fantastic playing, Richard Davies's brilliant bass and the fact that the music is just sufficiently off kilter with the lyric to make you question Morrison's intent.

I’m not so sure. A classic it is but not the most accessible of Van’s albums. I was torn between this and Poetic Champions Compose but in for a penny. Will be interesting to hear what those who have never listened to Morrison make of it

I think the scoring will be a bit all over the shop, most of the people who have indicated they like it have said that didn't get on with it immediately. I think the fact we have a, ahem, 'mature' listenership might help in people appreciating it even if they don't fall in love with it straight away but I'd totally get it if people can't see what the fuss is about.

It's very strange album in that when you are in a certain type of mood it really touches a chord and you get lost in it at quite an emotional level. I've never quite worked out what it's trick is in that respect but I do think it's staggering that he was 22 or 23 when he wrote it.

A lot of tosh has been written about this album but then again it's impressive that people project all sorts of things onto it. My own personal bug bear is the various critics who say The Way Young Lovers Do doesn't "belong" on the album because it's not got the semi-mystical gnomic lyrics and tempo of the rest of the album, thereby ignoring the fantastic playing, Richard Davies's brilliant bass and the fact that the music is just sufficiently off kilter with the lyric to make you question Morrison's intent.

I think the scoring will be a bit all over the shop, most of the people who have indicated they like it have said that didn't get on with it immediately. I think the fact we have a, ahem, 'mature' listenership might help in people appreciating it even if they don't fall in love with it straight away but I'd totally get it if people can't see what the fuss is about.
Scoring it is very difficult. When I’m in the mood it’s a ten. When I’m not it’s no more than a seven. I think I’ll skip a score. Just interested in what the others think.

I really can't my finger on this one. By rights, this should be an album I really like as it's from the era of music that's my favourite (roughly 1965-1980) and this is widely regarded as a classic. Like someone else said, I find it amazing that someone so young could write this.

However, I just can't get into it. The songs are good, I'm not a fan of his voice though but I think for me it lacks 'licks' or 'hooks' I think. I just don't find it very catchy and in some ways, I keep waiting for something to happen but it doesn't move up a level and I end up slightly disappointed. Then again, the songs themselves are good.

I'm not sure about it to be honest so when I ask myself "will I come back to it" I have to remember I've heard it before and never have done. It's not bad but I think will a sprinkle of hooks and a different singer it would be an 8.

However it's a 6 from me.

I really can't my finger on this one. By rights, this should be an album I really like as it's from the era of music that's my favourite (roughly 1965-1980) and this is widely regarded as a classic. Like someone else said, I find it amazing that someone so young could write this.

However, I just can't get into it. The songs are good, I'm not a fan of his voice though but I think for me it lacks 'licks' or 'hooks' I think. I just don't find it very catchy and in some ways, I keep waiting for something to happen but it doesn't move up a level and I end up slightly disappointed. Then again, the songs themselves are good.

I'm not sure about it to be honest so when I ask myself "will I come back to it" I have to remember I've heard it before and never have done. It's not bad but I think will a sprinkle of hooks and a different singer it would be an 8.

I think somewhere in that 2nd paragraph, you have put your finger on it, and it echoes what I’m feeling after a few listens.

I got this album CD, paid loads. and only listened to a few times.
Only just getting round to this - may need longer to really get it.

Having a day off today, I've had this on, and reviewing now as I often forget!
Finding "Brown eyed girl" one of those songs that everybody else seems to like, but I find annoyingly crap and cringy (along with Sweet Caroline)......I never had a thought of listening to anything else by VM, and haven't, or hadn't.
Sorry to whoever put it up, but to me, it's meandering and hookless, if a song goes nowhere after 3mins....stop! Don't continue for another 4 or 5 more mins!
I actually found it more samey than AC/DC and Quo combined, and half the time didn't realise the track had changed.
His voice is ok, but sounded to me like a 'no range' Robert Plant, which didn't enhance the music which I thought was desperate for it, which made it all incredibly boring to me. He's obviously got more talent than me, like all artists (except rappers) have! But sorry poster, it's a very generous 2 for me ;(

Excluding the era remark, that's pretty much where I am with it at the moment. Van has had his big hits, and quite a few I like. Always struggled with his albums though.

No idea how this is classed as a classic.Never liked it and never will.Nothing in it compared to his future stuff after this nonsense.
3 out of 10 and that is only because i like him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.