The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

A first impressions only review I’m afraid which feels a little unfair. I had a knee replacement on Monday and spent the days before and since not really in the right frame of mind to listen to any music, never mind something I wasn’t familiar with.
I hope you are doing better each day and are on the mend!

For full disclosure, I'm due for a hip replacement this coming Monday, so it sounds like I better be ready to review @threespires selection prior to then! :-)

With a Thanksgiving break coming up this week in the US, that shouldn't be a problem.

I did find some humo(u)r in this line from "The Pan Within" this week as I prepare for mine:

Swing your hips
Loose your head and let it spin
Swing your hips

If only Mike, if only... :-)

Save that sentiment for a few months, I hope.

"Big Music" and some big scores sees The Waterboys' This is the Sea crash into the top 10 - 14 votes at an average of 7.46 is an impressive feat. An excellent nomination by @Mancitydoogle had lots of us discussing this album.

This week, the question of whether it's worth talking about and reviewing music has been raised. Judging by the reviews and lengthy discussion of this week's album, I' glad to see that the response on here seems to indicate that we do indeed enjoy this. And as if this wasn't enough, some enjoyed it, some discovered it, and some were bowled over by it. Job done.

I'm still enjoying running it, and it's not really much effort, so if everybody is still happy contributing, on we go.

This week's nominator is @threespires. You know the drill .....

For full disclosure, I'm due for a hip replacement this coming Monday, so it sounds like I better be ready to review @threespires selection prior to then! :-)

With a Thanksgiving break coming up this week in the US, that shouldn't be a problem.

I did find some humo(u)r in this line from "The Pan Within" this week as I prepare for mine:

Swing your hips
Swing your hips

I’ve previously had a hip done and maybe because I was that bit younger didn’t find it as daunting. Good luck with yours. I did imagine I might listen to music as distraction in hospital but didn’t feel like it in the end.

Will give the Warerboys another listen this week but looks like it did very well without needing me to nudge it upwards

This week, the question of whether it's worth talking about and reviewing music has been raised. Judging by the reviews and lengthy discussion of this week's album, I' glad to see that the response on here seems to indicate that we do indeed enjoy this. And as if this wasn't enough, some enjoyed it, some discovered it, and some were bowled over by it. Job done.

I'm still enjoying running it, and it's not really much effort, so if everybody is still happy contributing, on we go.
I get more out of this thread than any other on the BlueMoon Forum, so I certainly hope so! Trebles may come and go, but music appreciation lasts a lifetime!

Well done @RobMCFC, and all that participate.

I agree with some of this but would be a bit less harsh on at least some of the songs themselves, if it was an EP a differently produced variant of the opening track would be the one I'd add.

At some point one of us needs to nominate The Jam so we can have this one out properly! In fairness though given your stated preferences and completely ignoring the 'Englishness' of them, I can see why The Jam don't twiddle your dials that often and they were a bit atypical in their approach so probably would be a good one for discussion.
I like In The City and Setting Sons well enough but always wished they were crunchier.

Swing your hips
Swing your hips

Best of luck and I hope you recover well!

Judging by some of the overly enthusiastic reviews of the WBs perhaps some of you need ear bone replacement surgery!

Oh I’m KIDDING you cretins.

"Big Music" and some big scores sees The Waterboys' This is the Sea crash into the top 10 - 14 votes at an average of 7.46 is an impressive feat. An excellent nomination by @Mancitydoogle had lots of us discussing this album.

This week's nominator is @threespires. You know the drill .....
I still meekly suggest a rolling two week cycle as sometimes it’s hard to listen, think and write in a week when the rest of life interferes. I’ve missed a number of records I really wanted to write on. That said we do keep things fresh around here and sometimes you listen to something and don’t have much to say. I mean, in my case rarely, but still . . .

That said I am thankful to this thread for Bad//Dreems, Lucinda Williams and The Drive-By Truckers — all artists I’ve been listening to since their records showed up here.

I still meekly suggest a rolling two week cycle as sometimes it’s hard to listen, think and write in a week when the rest of life interferes. I’ve missed a number of records I really wanted to write on. That said we do keep things fresh around here and sometimes you listen to something and don’t have much to say. I mean, in my case rarely, but still . . .

That said I am thankful to this thread for Bad//Dreems, Lucinda Williams and The Drive-By Truckers — all artists I’ve been listening to since their records showed up here.
I did put the question out last time this was raised and most seemed to be in favour of keeping it weekly. But if anybody else feels different, shout out now.

That said, there will be a 3-week Christmas break coming up soon, and as we still have the monster playlists thread, I don't plan on doing an extra playlist on here this time around.

I remember a time you wanted this thread and the top 1100 nomination every week! :)

I did put the question out last time this was raised and most seemed to be in favour of keeping it weekly. But if anybody else feels different, shout out now.

That said, there will be a 3-week Christmas break coming up soon, and as we still have the monster playlists thread, I don't plan on doing an extra playlist on here this time around.
It’s fine, I know most are happy with weekly and it’s definitely “cleaner” that way too. Onwards with the next rec!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.