The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

This week's nominator is @bennyboy, who had this to say about his choice:-

No clues this week,couldn't think of any that would be hard enough to keep it going for a decent length of time

My choice is All Mod Cons......The Jam.
1978 a great year for me musically.
My 3 faves from this year were Live and Dangerous...Thin Lizzy.Some Girls...Rolling Stones reviewed already on this thread and All Mod Cons by the Jam.
This was the lp that got me into the Jam and Paul Weller with The Jam albums that followed all top notch.
Seemingly based on the Ray Davis and the Kinks but I know nothing about their music but there is a cover of a Ray Davis song on this.
Maybe somebody will put them forward in the future.
Paul's writing always came across as working class to me and somebody writing great songs about my age was always going to appeal to me.
The other groups I liked then The Clash, and The Strangers were great but nobody really My age who spoke to me like Weller did.
Track listing

Side one
"All Mod Cons" – 1:20
"To Be Someone (Didn't We Have a Nice Time)" – 2:32
"Mr. Clean"* – 3:29
"David Watts" (Ray Davies) – 2:56
"English Rose"** – 2:51
"In the Crowd" – 5:40
Side two
"Billy Hunt" – 3:01 [UK and 1st US pressings] "The Butterfly Collector" – 3:11 [US reissues]
"It's Too Bad" – 2:39
"Fly" – 3:22
"The Place I Love" – 2:54
"'A' Bomb in Wardour Street" – 2:37
"Down in the Tube Station at Midnight.

It will be interesting to hear other views on this.Not expecting much as Paul seems to get a hard ride on here due to his influences but I still listen to this and other Jam albums today.

Added a video of The Butterfly Collector which was on the US reissue.
One of my Jam favourite's

Could've wrote that meself benny, very similar to my thoughts.
Fantastic album as well and side 1 sounds as good today as it did a lifetime ago
9/10

Lol.

I will never, repeat never, go down the road of crap English bands just for points !!!!!!

- Bennyboy : here's The Jam!

In fairness, this is another that I am looking forward to giving a whole album a probably long overdue proper go, come what may.

Well, it was about time these show up . . . .

To the point made by @bennyboy, The Jam are very English, and Americans could never quite grasp them. As I've noted previously, my problem with them is that I don't think Paul Weller writes very good hooks often enough, though I do like a number of songs on Setting Sons, and some on In The City. In fact my favo(u)rite by them is a Foxton job: "Smithers-Jones". I haven't heard this one in a long while, but I do vaguely recall my Jam-obsessed college roommate played AMC less than the others. That all said, I've always liked Paul Weller as musician -- he's forthright, he tried a lot of new things, apparently he (with SC or The Jam) was remarkable in concert, which I am sure some of you will attest to -- so it's stupid to gainsay him as a "fake punk" like some people do/will.

Last edited:
Well, it was about time these show up . . . .

To the point made by @bennyboy, The Jam are very English, and Americans could never quite grasp them. As I've noted previously, my problem with them is that I don't think Paul Weller writes very good hooks often enough, though I do like a number of songs on Setting Sons, and some on In The City. In fact my favo(u)rite by them is a Foxton job: "Smithers-Jones". I haven't heard this one in a long while, but I do vaguely recall my Jam-obsessed college roommate played AMC less than the others. That all said, I've always liked Paul Weller as musician -- he's forthright, he tried a lot of new things, apparently he (with SC or The Jam) was remarkable in concert, which I am sure some of you will attest to -- so it's stupid to gainsay him as a "fake punk" like some people do/will.
Supported Blue Oyster Cult in 1978 over in the States.
That was never going to work for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.