The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

It's a bugger updating the ever-lengthening table every week.
I agree if there's any way to share the spreadsheet pain of getting the scores right, that's always an option. Have a second pair of eyeballs on it for QC.

Joking aside, what are peoples feelings on this? Should we drop the scoring after this round?
As one of the newer ones to this, I'll add that I'm still up for keeping it too. I don't take offense on scores as that's all personal, and I in general try to stick to Foggy's score outline give or take. But this week, if I get a surprise album that I like that I've never heard, I'll tend to score that higher than a similarly enjoyed album (hmm, maybe INXS LLTs?) that I have heard before and may enjoy just as much on a tracks perspective, but I didn't have before.

And sure, I agree with @Out on blue 6 that there are likely obvious albums out there that would potentially score higher, but that's not why I'm here or hoping to share with others on an album that has affected me in a certain way. If it doesn't score well, then so be it. But if it reaches one person and they get to appreciate it, then that's what matters to me.

I'm a better enjoyer of (various) music having now heard the Streets, Aphex Twin, a full Waterboys album, The Budos Band, The Midnight, and Domenique Dumont. The list goes on. I wasn't around for J.J. Cale's selection, but I gave that a spin knowing that people I (mostly ;-) trust here gave it the scores it received. That was well worth it. I enjoyed that and The Streets for both ends of the table for different reasons.

Although I don't get hung up on the scores, I like to go on record on each one, and the experience of hearing and discussing other selections I wouldn't have otherwise.

I agree if there's any way to share the spreadsheet pain of getting the scores right, that's always an option. Have a second pair of eyeballs on it for QC.
No, it was only a throwaway line, it's pretty easy to do. Not like plugging all those playlist guesses in!

The scores will stay as the vast majority are on favour.

Anyway, speaking of updates ......

The Hedge? A guitarist?
I agree about Larry.
Learned how to play the drums properly in The Artane Boys Band.

Seriously though. That R/S list is ridiculous for these very reasons.
I could name half a dozen better Irish guitarists alone, than The Hedge.
LOL The Hedge.

Reminds me of my wife’s college friend who used to refer to The Police’s bass player/singer/pretty boy egomaniac as “Schting.”

All Mod Cons by The Jam pulled in 16 voters for an average of 7.06. That's the 24th album to hit the magical 7 mark, and it gives @bennyboy his 3rd top 20 album. It seems like plenty of people enjoyed visiting their youth on this one and once more, there was plenty of good discussion.

Next up is @BlueHammer85. Whenever you're ready, guvnor (Sorry, I've gone all Paul Weller).

As someone that has stated both sides of my mixed views on the scoring, I feel it should stay. For one I think removing that sense of obligation to score something might remove some of the need to comment as well. I.e we see it often we all have weeks like that, where we struggle to find time, and rush to score and justify that. If you don’t need to, chances are the commentary might drop too. Possibly.

Plus, we have been going so long, could feel odd.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.