The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

that's true. But I thought we were discussing mainstream categories of Rock and Pop. I have cousins who have been in bands for decades with no intent on doing anything rather than play a pub on a Saturday night. But to say Rock Musicians are defined because they fall into fame/success and it's not their primary aim is frankly nonsense.

I didn't define them as such. I only expanded to that part of your post.

There is no doubt however that Oasis are primarily a pop band. Lables, magazines, streaming services, catalogues and most punters define them as so, because that is ultimately what their music is. It is commercially successful, because it is written to be commercially successful. There is, btw, absolno shame in that and it is not said as a slight. Theybwronte highly simplistic easily catchy songs that appeal to the masses because they are widely generic and remind them of other broadly generic bands they used to like.

I found these two definitions which seem to fit a little better and I put them here to get knocked down. Its on topic as we clearly need to determine if Oasis were indeed a pop group, or a rock group when they released DM. Interesting to categorise other artists: Elvis/Chuck Berry/David Bowie - Pop or Rock?

Rock music is a genre that originated in the 1950s, characterised by a strong rhythm, amplified instruments, and often centred on the electric guitar. It encompasses various subgenres and has been a vital part of youth culture and rebellion. In the UK, it’s not just a style of music but a cultural symbol that continues to influence art, fashion, and society. Rock music is often album rather than single based.

Pop music is the genre of popular music that produces the most hits. A hit is a song that sells many copies, and the latest hits are listed every week on the charts. To get on the charts, a song must be released as a single, although most singles are also released on an album. Songs that become hits almost always share certain features that are sometimes called the pop-music formula. They have a good rhythm, a catchy melody, and are easy to remember and sing along to. They usually have a chorus that's repeated several times and two or more verses. Most pop songs are between two and five minutes long, and the lyrics are often about the joys and problems of love and relationships.

There you go, Oasis, a pop band, with hints of rock influence.

Split the difference and let's run with pop-rock.

Worth also noting, that there is zero difference between Oasis and Coldplay. Like, none whatsoever! If anything, Coldplay are the better musicians and ever so slightly more original.

The only difference is the image, and how they managed to market themselves. Like all packaged products, the perception is easily amplified. But look inside the box, it is the exact same bland cereal. But one is considered cool and one not.

I didn't define them as such. I only expanded to that part of your post.

There is no doubt however that Oasis are primarily a pop band. Lables, magazines, streaming services, catalogues and most punters define them as so, because that is ultimately what their music is. It is commercially successful, because it is written to be commercially successful. There is, btw, absolno shame in that and it is not said as a slight. Theybwronte highly simplistic easily catchy songs that appeal to the masses because they are widely generic and remind them of other broadly generic bands they used to like.
writing simple melodies over distorted guitars does not = pop. Producing albums to be commercially successful is the primary aim of the music industry irrespective of category or genre. For every 'Britpop' there is a definition categorising Oasis as a Rock band. Google it and see.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much but to claim everyone sees Oasis as a pop group is pushing it a little.

writing simple melodies over distorted guitars does not = pop. Producing albums to be commercially successful is the primary aim of the music industry irrespective of category or genre. For every 'Britpop' there is a definition categorising Oasis as a Rock band. Google it and see.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much but to claim everyone sees Oasis as a pop group is pushing it a little.

Ok. Other than, I didn't say everyone, did I. Most here see them as a pop group, that is evident. More than not out there see them as that too. I don't see what the fuss is, in having to argue they are 'pure' rock. People still think they are cool, even as a pop band. I have claled them pop-rock myself even before this little discussion, as I have as long as I have known them. Not going to be corrected by searching google for oddities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.