The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1857) - ???? - ????

Not listened yet but wanted to step in and respond to this comment as it's an interesting discusssion.

The comment you make about your son and his pedal board vs other technology that I assume will be on display here is not accurate in my eyes. In the former case, a musician will be using pedals to assist in getting a certain sound from the guitar. This will happen in real time and still require the requisite level of skill to pull off.

Creating electronic music is also undoubtedly a skill - however, in this case, an artist (I won't necessarily assume a musician) has the luxury of a number of hours/days/weeks in the studio to achieve the required effect.

Given enough time, you or I or anybody else could probably produce a symphony on a music editing suite with little musical knowledge.

I don't know what to call the difference I am highlighting here, but let's call it the "human performance element". This is important to me when listening to music - like an artist singing their own material. These factors may not be important to others, but they are to me.

If I were to produce the world's best AI software package that could sing like the world's greatest vocalists across a number of genres, this would undoubtedly be extremely skilfull. But I certainly wouldn't consider myself worthy of praise in the music world - the praise I would expect would be from the technology world.

Agreed. I'm happy to have a broad range of music nominated on here.
The technology debate is a difficult one.

As an example in terms of studio recording there is very little point in recording drums any more. There are a million drum samples and technology allows you to manipulate them all a million ways. And if a good drummer is one that keeps good time then the technology keeps perfect time.

But if you go down that road what is the point of doing anything live. But no one wants to end up like Ian Brown and his karaoke tour.

Not listened yet but wanted to step in and respond to this comment as it's an interesting discusssion.

The comment you make about your son and his pedal board vs other technology that I assume will be on display here is not accurate in my eyes. In the former case, a musician will be using pedals to assist in getting a certain sound from the guitar. This will happen in real time and still require the requisite level of skill to pull off.

Creating electronic music is also undoubtedly a skill - however, in this case, an artist (I won't necessarily assume a musician) has the luxury of a number of hours/days/weeks in the studio to achieve the required effect.

Given enough time, you or I or anybody else could probably produce a symphony on a music editing suite with little musical knowledge.

I don't know what to call the difference I am highlighting here, but let's call it the "human performance element". This is important to me when listening to music - like an artist singing their own material. These factors may not be important to others, but they are to me.

If I were to produce the world's best AI software package that could sing like the world's greatest vocalists across a number of genres, this would undoubtedly be extremely skilfull. But I certainly wouldn't consider myself worthy of praise in the music world - the praise I would expect would be from the technology world.

Rob, I think you make a good point, but only up to a point! It is a really interesting debate especially around what constitutes the human performance element. Annoyingly I have to go and do some other stuff than is much less interesting that this discussion, but I'll be back.

And for the avoidance of doubt I was (mostly) joking about Moby.

I think he didn't think he was being bold as this band were all over everywhere in the late 90's/ early 2000's.

So was Britney Spears at one point but don't see snyone nominating that. My comment was on predisposition to genre, not popularity.

All valid, but I don't particularly think that was what DLBH really meant in his original remark.

You can go off folk you know ;-)
I know, I know.I just can't believe how artists that I've taken a dislike to over the years (rightly or wrongly, for whatever reason) keep popping up across these music threads.

Bloody David Bowie knocking out Tom Petty in the knockout cup! I still can't get over how under-supported and underappreciated TP is on these forums. I know that doesn't apply to everybody, but it seems there is huge supports for lots of middling generic rubbish and some of the greats are just brushed aside.

Not that I'm putting Bowie in this category by the way - I know he's great, it's just that I don't like his music. The same applies to Kate Bush.

Rob, I think you make a good point, but only up to a point! It is a really interesting debate especially around what constitutes the human performance element. Annoyingly I have to go and do some other stuff than is much less interesting that this discussion, but I'll be back.

And for the avoidance of doubt I was (mostly) joking about Moby.
No backsies - you are a heathen.............

I know, I know.I just can't believe how artists that I've taken a dislike to over the years (rightly or wrongly, for whatever reason) keep popping up across these music threads.

Bloody David Bowie knocking out Tom Petty in the knockout cup! I still can't get over how under-supported and underappreciated TP is on these forums. I know that doesn't apply to everybody, but it seems there is huge supports for lots of middling generic rubbish and some of the greats are just brushed aside.

Not that I'm putting Bowie in this category by the way - I know he's great, it's just that I don't like his music. The same applies to Kate Bush.

It is about the song though, not the artist, in that thread is it not?

It is about the song though, not the artist, in that thread is it not?
They don't come much better than "Free Fallin'" and even some TP fans thought that that wasn't one of his best. [John McEnrore Mode]Are you kidding me?!!!

But yes, I take your point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.