The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

The Struts: Pretty Vicious

Despite the fact that I decided to review this album months ago, this review is dedicated to The Fog because he recently quipped something along the lines that I had not listened to anything post 1985; most of The Struts weren’t born until after 1985.

The band were formed in 2012 in the rock ‘n’ roll capital of nowhere, Derby – a city best known for welly wearers and being on the way to Nottingham. They consist of Adam Slack (Guitar), Jed Elliott (Bass), Gethin Davies (Drums) and the somewhat Mercurial Luke Spiller (Vocals). They released their fourth album, “Pretty Vicious”, last year. So how did such a recent release get chosen by yours truly?

“Pretty Vicious” is one a select bunch of albums that earned the status of lucky charm for the journeys that one of my daughters and I make to watch City. I rotate the cds played in my car more than Pep rotates centre backs, but “Pretty Vicious” became our cd equivalent of Manu Akanji last season. It is simply a record that both of us really enjoy listening to, and it did help City to a long unbeaten run.

"Pretty Vicious" is a testament to the band's ability to blend the old with the new, combining their glam rock roots with contemporary rock elements. The album is full of energy, wit, charisma and more hooks than an angler’s tackle box.

Produced by Julian Raymond, who has worked with Cheap Trick, it has a polished sound, with several tracks embellished by additional orchestration.

Lyrically it explores themes of love, fame, rebellion, and the rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Spiller sings the words like they are based on personal experience. Only the final song is a cover that you may not recognise but may well be able to work out who wrote it.

Yes, it is derivative but done with style and verve. Great for putting the top down and hitting the highway on a sunny day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.