The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Awwwww. Besides me, there must be a FEW here who would enjoy a horn and banjo played with purposefully out of tune chords for five minutes. And this is on the second catchiest song on the record.

Come on, live a little!

Well, you're going to get them all if I have four turns; it's just a question of the order :)

Incidentally, I already wrote the review for the safe one and the most unsafe one.

Guess it will depend on my mood next week.

Get all that and indeed I had a similar choice myself. This was not one I was going to go for this week, that was much 'safer'. But given the two that preceded it, and me jumping forward a week, I made a decision on the day and thought softening/changing it up a bit was the thing to do, so things don't get too samey here. Other choices included a dutch jazz album (but Rob bloody went and ruined that one on the day), and I just don't think you guys are ready for Crawler yet, although one day that Will happen.

Threespires is bang on about mood and context, the Midnight Synth album being the one for me that worked as a counterpoint cleanser that week, but wouldn't really revisit. And others I felt I didn't get much out of at the time but left open to exploring more, and with time learned to like.

Re yours, my comment wasn't all that serious. I like post-punk, I'm intruguedby your unsafe one, that's really all there wasto that. Be fun whatever you go with. As long as it doesn't have any country, obviously!

If you do Tom Waits, then no one will bat an eye when I do The Residents. Or Throbbing Gristle. Or Einsturzende Neubaten.

Haha, feel sure we've had a conversation about Blixa on here somewhere. Go for one of the early ones, you know it makes sense!

If we do a 'greatest reinventions' playlist theme, Tom Waits will definitely be getting a run out.

Haha, feel sure we've had a conversation about Blixa on here somewhere. Go for one of the early ones, you know it makes sense!

If we do a 'greatest reinventions' playlist theme, Tom Waits will definitely be getting a run out.

Don't think there is much of a queue for themes just now pal!

I try and make my nominations a little bit obscure at least.
I couldn’t care about the scores but at as long as someone gets something out of it I'm happy.
In fact despite being high up on the scoring charts i found the Revolver nomination to have been the most pointless nomination so far.Sorry to whoever nominated it but it is only an opinion.
A good round is not on the scores but something that gets you involved listening weeks after.
So if you get at least one person listening to the group you nominated forever after,mission accomplished.
Noticed scores of 6.5 and the likes recently.
Could i have made my Rush score 0.5 instead.lol.

I couldn’t care about the scores but at as long as someone gets something out of it I'm happy.
In fact despite being high up on the scoring charts i found the Revolver nomination to have been the most pointless nomination so far.Sorry to whoever nominated it but it is only an opinion.
A good round is not on the scores but something that gets you involved listening weeks after.
So if you get at least one person listening to the group you nominated forever after,mission accomplished.
Could i have made my Rush score 9.5 instead.lol.

I like to imagine that, a few weeks after, you all saw the light with Mike Skinner and now go round singing about money stuffed down back of tvs. If not, just feel free to leave me with my delusion.

I agree in principle re. less well known stuff but I'm thinking of nominating something that maybe a third or so of people on here will own, on the basis that it'll still make for interesting discussion both about the album and it's impact/aging for those who are very familiar with it and for the people who aren't what they feel about it's distinctive sound and style. The scoring might happen pretty quickly but I'd hope the dialogue and tangents fill the week.

Last edited:
It's nice to have a mix of stuff in terms of famous and popular vs. obscure, old and new, but so far I think I have avoided picking any records on the Colin Larkin Top 1000-plus and plan to continue that streak until I do my "possibly unsafe" one which is firmly on many "best of" lists.

I do care a little on the scores but not that much -- I think of them as reflective of enjoyment -- and I do try to find records I think might be broadly appealing as opposed to off-putting. I was pleased so many liked The Tubes and Roxy Music's Siren (though I wasn't surprised by the latter); both records mean a lot to me. The rest I've picked so far (including the next one) are really just music I enjoy that I think others might too.

I definitely am considering nominating a record I hate at some point just so I can smash it. Hope there aren't too many Eagles fans on here . . . . :)

@FogBlueInSanFran depending on which one you pick I reckon you've got at least 3 or 4 votes of 8 plus in the bag and for anyone who doesn't get it they'll at least get some ideas for what to do with some of the accumulated crap in their garage.
Ha ha I don't think I can go there. You've gotta give them credit for invention though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.