The Album Review Club - Week #129 - (page 1598) - Hats - The Blue Nile

Well written review, and some interesting observerations.

On the score, congrats Gornik, you win because I went a point lower to split the difference in whole numbers. Sometimes you only need a 0.5 difference.

Rob came right in the middle of our original hunches - 6 for you and 5 for me. ;-)
I didn't realise there was side betting on my score :)

Fantastic control. Brilliant touch. Lovely drop of the shoulder, an excellent strike, and.... Oh he's hit the post! What a spectacular goal that would have been.

That's kind of where I am with this one. Neither in nor out. As mentioned before, never got into Radiohead. Never understood why. If nothing else, this week has maybe helped me draw a line under it.

During covid, when hoose-drinking replaced going to pubs (when it was deemed ok of course, with the windows open and 2m apart, couches perpendicular) a couple of us would go to each others' for a few beers. One would often stick on Radiohead, in astonishment that I wasn't a fan. Old, new, videos of live performances, the lot. My reaction always seemed the same. I should maybe come back to this, there's obviously something in it, but I'm just not getting it at this moment. That, is kind of how I feel 4 and a bit listens in.

Airbag is a good intro. In itself, not the strongest of songs, but a teaser with lots of promise and a mood setter. Unfortunately then Paranoid Android loses me, and I have to force myself back in. While it has some very good stretches, it seems to stretch too much. Subterranean, yeah nice song, quite like it. Exit music, meh. Let down is nice. A couple of nothing songs, then Electioneering, that must be off another album. Back to a bit more of the same with Climbing, then I quite like No Surprises. Two more songs after that, and the rich pink floyd toying finish, but by that point I've kind of checked out already.

Now to touch on a couple of the other topics that came up this week.

The Lyrics,themes. Initially, didn't even notice them. Maybe the singing style, maybe everything else going on, but if people here didn't talk about them, wouldn't have paid attention to them. So I read them, read about them, read what was said for them by both the band and critics. That's ok, I have done that with lots of bands, that in no way makes them weak.

What I personally really like in lyrics is usually one of two things. Either straight up and clear, or poetic and cleverly wrapped to unravel yourself. For example, Idles' June or Frightened Rabbit's death dream, for the first set. 'Baby's shoes' 'open mouth', boom, no fucking about, the image is in your head now. For examples of the other, Idles' MTT420 (interestingly covering the same topic as Airbag), and Frightened Rabbit's 400 bones. There is a story there, but you have to get to it yourself, and might take a couple goes to click. Then, somewhere below there is then the random snippets and half baked ideas clumsily stitched together, left to interpretation. That's what Radiohead have done here. Thom himself says 'I was sort of experimenting with the way that Stipe wrote lyrics where you’ve got this thing of semi-nonsense, but when you add them together, it has a cumulative expression of something.' Aye ok mate. I actually don't mind that one bit, I am quite used to it, it is a very emo thing to do. The issue for me is, the over-explantion of it beyond the album. There are articles and interviews out there, dissecting every bit. Which to me dilutes it. If it is abstract poetry, just leave it be, leave it a mystery, leave it open to interpretation, leave it meaning nothing at all other than a rhyme to accompany a melody. Read the rest, yeah loose touches on loneliness, fear, reliance. All good topics. Probably not really worth the extracurricular effort. The music is strong enough not to need that additional dimension imo.

The other thing that got talked about a lot, is the album's popularity and why it's being highly rated affects how it is viewed. I find that quite interesting, generally. I made a couple of Beatles jibes, but it is a similar thing, disliking something more than we would, because of how popular it is.

A boy band does boy-bandy things, nobody really has a problem. Good on them, bless their wee fringes. A boy band becomes a global phenomenon, everyone hates the cunts. Same with a somewhat talentless dolled up pop diva. Why is that? Don't know, I do it too. Is Biffy's later stuff really much worse than their early, not really. But it is far more universally popular, by loads who are not as like-minded, and that is somewhat off-putting. I have often berated the Foo Fighters, who I used to like, but now think are a total con. Would I be as bothered that they regurgitate the same two songs into a best selling album every 10 months if they weren't deemed the super-band they are? Probably not actually, because Jimmy Eat World after 3 or 4 really good albums went on to produce a whle bunch of mediocre stuff that hasn't lived up to the mark they set. But because it is a smaller core audience, I don't seem to mind. I Would note however, I only seem to do this with bands I actually Want to like. Popularity of artists that aren’t my thing doesn't bother me in the slightest. And that's maybe why I don't agree with Fog's or Spire's take that the album should be judged on it's rating. It's not its fault after all. Except it maybe partly is, as some of the hype is self-generated, but then, let's not fucking go there again.

Finally, it was actually listening to the Bends, that maybe made me finally realise why I probably never got into Radiohead. Because, ultimaly for me, there were others that just did it better.
For the Bends, I preferred Placebo. For OK Computer, Clarity and Showbiz. And for Pink Floyd referenced rock, White Pony. Yeah ok some came a year or two later, but there or thereabouts, the choice was there for me.

The Bends is a simpler and less fussy album. I think Ok Computer has aged better though. The bends may have done something for me when it came out, but now, that ship has sailed, and I'm not up for it. Ok Computer, I didn't mind listening to at all now, and found bits in it to like.

Ah yes, I have to score this don't I? No idea, a fucking 5 I guess, to keep it simple.

We just had a small wager on the outcome. I thought you’d go higher for some reason - sanity prevailed in the end I suppose. I’m just pleased @Black&White&BlueMoon Town now owes me $1m which was the bet in the small print of my DM which I’m sure he didn’t read :)
I certainly wouldn't have pegged you for giving this a lower score than Rob, so "No Surprises" you are not!

I'll stick to EPL wagers as yesterday was quite the (long - when picking a champion) haul if I'm to ever get to your small print. Hopefully a pint at the next City match we are attending together will start me on that right path.

That said, I know what I like and I like what I know and my two ears are as valid as anyone’s.

Some of us like to do short reviews, some of use like to try and organise our thoughts a bit and some like me like to go off on one into a bit of a ramble but ultimately what you've said there is all that really counts.

Of all the places I'd look for a steer on 'reality' I'm not sure a hugely successful rock star, be it Richards, Yorke or Waters, would be my starting place. Good theme for a (short) playlist, rock stars who are normal enough that you'd want to spend more than an evening with them.

Fantastic control. Brilliant touch. Lovely drop of the shoulder, an excellent strike, and.... Oh he's hit the post! What a spectacular goal that would have been.

That's kind of where I am with this one. Neither in nor out. As mentioned before, never got into Radiohead. Never understood why. If nothing else, this week has maybe helped me draw a line under it.

During covid, when hoose-drinking replaced going to pubs (when it was deemed ok of course, with the windows open and 2m apart, couches perpendicular) a couple of us would go to each others' for a few beers. One would often stick on Radiohead, in astonishment that I wasn't a fan. Old, new, videos of live performances, the lot. My reaction always seemed the same. I should maybe come back to this, there's obviously something in it, but I'm just not getting it at this moment. That, is kind of how I feel 4 and a bit listens in.

Airbag is a good intro. In itself, not the strongest of songs, but a teaser with lots of promise and a mood setter. Unfortunately then Paranoid Android loses me, and I have to force myself back in. While it has some very good stretches, it seems to stretch too much. Subterranean, yeah nice song, quite like it. Exit music, meh. Let down is nice. A couple of nothing songs, then Electioneering, that must be off another album. Back to a bit more of the same with Climbing, then I quite like No Surprises. Two more songs after that, and the rich pink floyd toying finish, but by that point I've kind of checked out already.

Now to touch on a couple of the other topics that came up this week.

The Lyrics,themes. Initially, didn't even notice them. Maybe the singing style, maybe everything else going on, but if people here didn't talk about them, wouldn't have paid attention to them. So I read them, read about them, read what was said for them by both the band and critics. That's ok, I have done that with lots of bands, that in no way makes them weak.

What I personally really like in lyrics is usually one of two things. Either straight up and clear, or poetic and cleverly wrapped to unravel yourself. For example, Idles' June or Frightened Rabbit's death dream, for the first set. 'Baby's shoes' 'open mouth', boom, no fucking about, the image is in your head now. For examples of the other, Idles' MTT420 (interestingly covering the same topic as Airbag), and Frightened Rabbit's 400 bones. There is a story there, but you have to get to it yourself, and might take a couple goes to click. Then, somewhere below there is then the random snippets and half baked ideas clumsily stitched together, left to interpretation. That's what Radiohead have done here. Thom himself says 'I was sort of experimenting with the way that Stipe wrote lyrics where you’ve got this thing of semi-nonsense, but when you add them together, it has a cumulative expression of something.' Aye ok mate. I actually don't mind that one bit, I am quite used to it, it is a very emo thing to do. The issue for me is, the over-explantion of it beyond the album. There are articles and interviews out there, dissecting every bit. Which to me dilutes it. If it is abstract poetry, just leave it be, leave it a mystery, leave it open to interpretation, leave it meaning nothing at all other than a rhyme to accompany a melody. Read the rest, yeah loose touches on loneliness, fear, reliance. All good topics. Probably not really worth the extracurricular effort. The music is strong enough not to need that additional dimension imo.

The other thing that got talked about a lot, is the album's popularity and why it's being highly rated affects how it is viewed. I find that quite interesting, generally. I made a couple of Beatles jibes, but it is a similar thing, disliking something more than we would, because of how popular it is.

A boy band does boy-bandy things, nobody really has a problem. Good on them, bless their wee fringes. A boy band becomes a global phenomenon, everyone hates the cunts. Same with a somewhat talentless dolled up pop diva. Why is that? Don't know, I do it too. Is Biffy's later stuff really much worse than their early, not really. But it is far more universally popular, by loads who are not as like-minded, and that is somewhat off-putting. I have often berated the Foo Fighters, who I used to like, but now think are a total con. Would I be as bothered that they regurgitate the same two songs into a best selling album every 10 months if they weren't deemed the super-band they are? Probably not actually, because Jimmy Eat World after 3 or 4 really good albums went on to produce a whle bunch of mediocre stuff that hasn't lived up to the mark they set. But because it is a smaller core audience, I don't seem to mind. I Would note however, I only seem to do this with bands I actually Want to like. Popularity of artists that aren’t my thing doesn't bother me in the slightest. And that's maybe why I don't agree with Fog's or Spire's take that the album should be judged on it's rating. It's not its fault after all. Except it maybe partly is, as some of the hype is self-generated, but then, let's not fucking go there again.

Finally, it was actually listening to the Bends, that maybe made me finally realise why I probably never got into Radiohead. Because, ultimaly for me, there were others that just did it better.
For the Bends, I preferred Placebo. For OK Computer, Clarity and Showbiz. And for Pink Floyd referenced rock, White Pony. Yeah ok some came a year or two later, but there or thereabouts, the choice was there for me.

The Bends is a simpler and less fussy album. I think Ok Computer has aged better though. The bends may have done something for me when it came out, but now, that ship has sailed, and I'm not up for it. Ok Computer, I didn't mind listening to at all now, and found bits in it to like.

Ah yes, I have to score this don't I? No idea, a fucking 5 I guess, to keep it simple.
Lots of common ground with this review. Interesting the REM reference on lyrics. I haven’t heard anything like the criticism of their early work compared to the lyrics on okc. I must have played it a lot when it first was released as it is as familiar as hell with me. I would have been 40 when it was released so a stage in life where reviews and rock journalism were not forefront. I think I may have even got okc as a 40th birthday present. I can remember looking at the various top 100 album charts and being surprised it was rated so highly but I probably just put that down to ‘the yoof of the day’. I’m not good with comparisons so see little of Pink Floyd in this. I think Bills comparison to KC probably more apt.

It’s not a great album. I think it’s inconsistent in quality with the first half stronger than the second. I do like the instrumentation, the layering and clearly the production. I actually like Thoms voice there is fragility and vulnerability where others hear winge. The lyrics meh. But there is an air of detatchment and a lack of emotion vibe that sits well with the music. I probably won’t play it again for a long time but based on I liked it when I was 40 and it still has a number if strong songs on it I will give it a 7.

Lots of common ground with this review. Interesting the REM reference on lyrics. I haven’t heard anything like the criticism of their early work compared to the lyrics on okc. I must have played it a lot when it first was released as it is as familiar as hell with me. I would have been 40 when it was released so a stage in life where reviews and rock journalism were not forefront. I think I may have even got okc as a 40th birthday present. I can remember looking at the various top 100 album charts and being surprised it was rated so highly but I probably just put that down to ‘the yoof of the day’. I’m not good with comparisons so see little of Pink Floyd in this. I think Bills comparison to KC probably more apt.

It’s not a great album. I think it’s inconsistent in quality with the first half stronger than the second. I do like the instrumentation, the layering and clearly the production. I actually like Thoms voice there is fragility and vulnerability where others hear winge.

Yeah I'll add the voice never bothered me one bit. I deliberately described it as singing style rather than voice, when saying I missed the lyrics.

It was a long post. Rather than intellectual posturing, I think it was more, emotional posturing from me.

Of all the places I'd look for a steer on 'reality' I'm not sure a hugely successful rock star, be it Richards, Yorke or Waters, would be my starting place. Good theme for a (short) playlist, rock stars who are normal enough that you'd want to spend more than an evening with them.
Brilliant.
. “What if he played in daytime?”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.