The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

I think Hendrix originally broke in the UK and it was only after his recognition here that he gained popularity in the States.

Really Bill? BJH? You will be telling me you like Camel next ;-)
Oh God — Camel! I remember I bought a record of theirs from a used bin in Washington DC a billion years ago. I had high hopes. They were dashed quickly.

I have read Fog that one of my favourite albums "Love - Forever Changes" (an LA band) was pretty much ignored stateside but in the UK it was much revered (and still is).

So was Hendrix :)

"7 and 7 Is" actually got into the charts in the US but I don't think Da Capo subsequently did anything at all and then when Forever Changes was released nothing much either.

I do wonder whether the decision to make side 2 of Da Capo just a 20 minute ramble did for them, because the first side of that album has songs nearly the equal of Forever Changes or at least hinting what would come.

As you say Fog , God Only Knows is a classic on so many levels it would easily and so it should win hands down a future edition of a Blue Moon Cup despite the great music on the 70's , 80's and even the 90's to measure it by.
"God Only Knows" was in my matchday squad for this year's cup but somehow didn't make the last 5.

Looks like it might be a mistake on my part.

Nowt wrong with the very occasional bit of Camel or a dollop of Caravan for that matter :-)

Anyway inspired by a couple of Bills posts, here's a quiz question...what musical subject connects BJH, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and Half Man Half Biscuit?

Who knew discussing Thom Yorke and his "musical prancing about" could be so much fun. I reckon if I add a point to my score we could end up with scores of 1,2,3,4,5....10 which might be a first and would actually be fitting for the discussion. Does this mean I have to accept OK Computer as a valid piece of culture?

@RobMCFC as you predicted I'm rowing back but only at the speed of an arthritic octogenarian so please add an additional point to my score.

"God Only Knows" was in my matchday squad for this year's cup but somehow didn't make the last 5.

Looks like it might be a mistake on my part.

I'd probably have voted for that against 99% of opponents.

I didn't manage to get a team in before it filled up this year so I have to content myself with watching from the stands. I'll try not to boo too much.

It is peculiar how many people have listened to this when it came out, and how many have said it didn't grab them. Not just me then. Putting aside those that it obviously did.

This album is a bit like a good niche joke, that someone has to explain to you. Yeah you will then realise it is clever, sophisticated, and funny. But the moment is long gone, and forcing yourself to laugh now is just a bit too awkward.

It is peculiar how many people have listened to this when it came out, and how many have said it didn't grab them. Not just me then. Putting aside those that it obviously did.

This album is a bit like a good niche joke, that someone has to explain to you. Yeah you will then realise it is clever, sophisticated, and funny. But the moment is long gone, and forcing yourself to laugh now is just a bit too awkward.

It's been a great round though with lots that we didn't manage to even get to. Your little interchange with @FogBlueInSanFran about the value or otherwise of mopery is a thread on its own but I'm parking my thoughts on that till my next pick where I hope to convince Foggy of the cathartic value of at least some moping and that hopefulness is at its most beautiful when it's been tempered by but overcomes the dark shadow of despair !

Oh btw - you referenced comedy as the analogy to explain your point, I'm now that bit more convinced you are in fact Limmy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.