The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Loved Johnny Cougar. First album I bought was American Fool in 1982.
Him and Steve Forbert still spend a lot of time on my turntable.
Firstly, what a lovely thread this is. Its nice to have a mature set of conversations.
I too am a big fan of John Mellencamp. I regret I was never able to see him play live.
Albums and music can be so important at certain times in our lives or if not important, then resonate with that time in one's life. Its slightly different to a City game because the match can only be played once and then something new comes along. I was having a difficult time in my life (when I reflect, it wasn't really difficult but rather self indulgent, spoilt feeling sorry for myself) but nevertheless this album was a comfort. I played it a lot sitting on my own
I really like violin in rock similar to piano in rock and think Soozie Tyrell has strengthened Bruce's live shows - similarly, Lisa Germano is so integral to the sound. I find LJ a bit more rounded than Uh-Huh and Scarecrow even though the latter 2 have some great songs on but it's another example of the failed American dream.
Its not my fave of all time but I'll go be it a 9 but there's not a bad song and aside from faves mentioned by others I'd add Hard Times for an Honest Man. I love the integrity of Mellencamp - stays true to himself and what you see is what you get

Firstly, what a lovely thread this is. Its nice to have a mature set of conversations.
I too am a big fan of John Mellencamp. I regret I was never able to see him play live.
Albums and music can be so important at certain times in our lives or if not important, then resonate with that time in one's life. Its slightly different to a City game because the match can only be played once and then something new comes along. I was having a difficult time in my life (when I reflect, it wasn't really difficult but rather self indulgent, spoilt feeling sorry for myself) but nevertheless this album was a comfort. I played it a lot sitting on my own
I really like violin in rock similar to piano in rock and think Soozie Tyrell has strengthened Bruce's live shows - similarly, Lisa Germano is so integral to the sound. I find LJ a bit more rounded than Uh-Huh and Scarecrow even though the latter 2 have some great songs on but it's another example of the failed American dream.
Its not my fave of all time but I'll go be it a 9 but there's not a bad song and aside from faves mentioned by others I'd add Hard Times for an Honest Man. I love the integrity of Mellencamp - stays true to himself and what you see is what you get
Nice review mate. It’s funny how you can frame your life around the albums you loved at any given time. I find that far more than say films or books.

No worries - you like what you like so that’s fair enough.

Very kind words there, thank you. But listen, three people have given this a 10 (and obviously if I was voting it would be four of us). So if gets a few low scores, that’s fair. You won’t upset me - it is my favourite album and nothing anybody says will change my opinion, but I respect that people have different tastes so any opinion is welcome.

I do understand what you are saying about this thread being different. You are correct, there’s a good chance people are putting albums, in which they have years of emotional investment, up for potential slaughter! But as long as people are respectful and honest, that’s all we can ask.
I've had this on a few times today while doing some painting in the house. Then I took it with me in the car to b+q.
Just so you know i'm giving this the proper attention it deserves.

Nice post mate.

How do you vote?
Just post a score out of 10 in here. You can also give a mini review, say why you do or don’t like the album, but all that’s optional. Also, stick around and get involved. I’ve discovered over the last few months that we have some great and knowledgeable posters on this and the Top 1000 album thread.

Really nice read and thanks for posting. See the comments I’ve made to Dennis above - it would be great if you stick around for the albums we’ve got coming up over the next few weeks and months. Same applies for the Top 1000 albums thread.
I've had this on a few times today while doing some painting in the house. Then I took it with me in the car to b+q.
Just so you know i'm giving this the proper attention it deserves.
Your dedication to the cause is noted, sir. And as I said yesterday, any score you give it is fine by me. Stay true to yourself and you’ll be fine.

Mellencamp has a song called “Pop Singer” on the album that came out after this. There’s a lyric in that song that’s always resonated with me, and I think applies here:

“Just want to make it real - good, bad or indifferent”

Nice review mate. It’s funny how you can frame your life around the albums you loved at any given time. I find that far more than say films or books.
Agree 100%. My family always wonders at how I remember when certain, in some cases trivial, events occurred and it's mostly because of the albums I was listening to at the time. Well, since 1986 anyway.

Just post a score out of 10 in here. You can also give a mini review, say why you do or don’t like the album, but all that’s optional. Also, stick around and get involved. I’ve discovered over the last few months that we have some great and knowledgeable posters on this and the Top 1000 album thread.

Really nice read and thanks for posting. See the comments I’ve made to Dennis above - it would be great if you stick around for the albums we’ve got coming up over the next few weeks and months. Same applies for the Top 1000 albums thread.

Your dedication to the cause is noted, sir. And as I said yesterday, any score you give it is fine by me. Stay true to yourself and you’ll be fine.

Mellencamp has a song called “Pop Singer” on the album that came out after this. There’s a lyric in that song that’s always resonated with me, and I think applies here:

“Just want to make it real - good, bad or indifferent”
Rob this isn't my genre at all if i'm honest. I'm well out of my comfort zone with this one.
But it did get me thinking, if so many people like it, then I must be missing something.
Therefore I must spend a bit more time to find out.
Let's see.
I'm enjoying the journey.
When's the cut off for review mate?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.