The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

any songs on here released as single or was a hit ?

also, what's your 3 personal favourites ? :)
Never had a hit.
My favourite 3.
The angels know.Not on this lp.Single release.
Texas Lullaby.Single release.
Even Beatles Die.
YouTube has some footage but they really are one of the great lost Scottish bands.
Seemingly they had an lp produced by John Cale that was never released.
The start of While I Can is Velvet Underground through and through.

I like this album. I mean there is nothing groundbreaking but it has a certain appeal for me. Decent songs.
Nice clean sound overall although on some tracks I struggle to hear what the singer is saying "Over The Side" for example.
Pretty standard rock vibe overall.
My favourite track is "A Step Away From Home" it could be on a Travelling Wilburys album, sung by Tom Petty !!

It's a sunny Sunday morning, I have my coffee and music. Isnt life great !
7/10

I had a listen to this tonight in the garden this afternoon whilst we had the family around. It probably wasn't the best time to listen to some music, but I'd told my United supporting brother about this thread in the past and he suggested putting on this weeks album so we did! He thought it was a really good idea doing this.

I'm not going to get much time to listen to it after today, so this review is based on listening to it with loads of kids running round whilst me and my brother listened to it sat at the bar in our garden :) we have very similar tastes.

We both thought it was above "ok", I can definitely hear why it's been picked - there's plenty of catchy hooks in there. It's got plenty of songs which get you going a bit and overall it was a good one to listen to. It always staggers me that there's people like James King writing songs like this, which are good songs, and just never really making it.

Our favourite tracks were "While I can" and "Fly away" which had great hooks with a retro vibe. To be fair, the whole album was good but .. the one thing which I'm going to "punish" though is the vocals, they reminded me of Dylan. As I've said before, Dylan is a titan of 20th Century music but apart from a few stand out songs, he simply has a terrible singing voice. His songs sound better when sung by other people. Why James King wants to emulate is beyond me! :) he should get someone else to sing!

Overall it was decent and definitely benefitted from a couple of beers and warm sun!

7/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.