The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Brave pick this one. I’m alternating between almost enjoying it and it absolutely doing my head in. Will get an opinion from my son on the way to Wembley and I suspect it’s going to be better driving music than washing the pots and running a bath music
Fingers crossed the game is better than the journey then ;)

So music for sweaty oiks out of their heads on ecstacy to bounce around to wouldn't normally be my choice of listening material but it just so happens I have this Chemical Bros album in my collection. Not too sure why I bought it but probably on the basis of a Q review.

Probably not listened to it in 20 years so it was a bit like putting a new album on. I do recall playing it a fair bit when I bought it. I think some of the tracks are a bit long and it could have lost one or two as well but it is music and worth owning. I'm going to go with a half mark for the first time: 6.5 / 10.

Inevitably someone picked a Radiohead tune over there.

Since no one on this thread is dumb enough to risk picking a whole album by those fake-brooding, hookless, arid billionaire poseur moaning sallow sourpusses, I am looking forward to my inevitable chance to unleash my fury on that thread . . . .

Speaking of highly rated bands that get under one's skin, listened to the new Foo Fighters album yet?

I will give it a genuine go, again. In wishful deaperate hope to avoid the disappointment of the last few, too soon to tell yet. Josh Freese on drums.

I generally think this type of music is better experienced in a gathering but unless we’re moving to spotify group sessions (can you imagine lol) then solo listening it is, and this is an album that’s got enough to it you can listen on your own.

We’ve probably done the is it/isn’t it music debate to death by now. Suffice to say to me it clearly is and though I don’t listen to a lot of this type of dance music, when I’m in the mood for something different this is a good example of the genre. I also think this is an example of an album where the samples don’t overwhelm or make up 90% of the listening experience which is a good thing in my book.

I like the obvious tracks with the guest vocalists, for some reason I remember Let Forever Be more than Hey Boy Hey Girl despite the latter being a bigger hit. Both of these, are up there with their other big tunes across their career. Along with the appearances from the two big Manchester beasts on Out of Control and Let Forever Be, I do like Asleep From Day with Hope Sandval’s trademark vocals, it’s a nice and necessary change of pace at that point of proceedings.

There is a bit of filler but not that much in my opinion. The other tracks that particularly work for me are Orange Wedge, Surrender and the second half of Dream On. Overall, it’s a bit too long and could do with editing down in places.

I realise that this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m currently sat with a couple of Teenage Engineering POs on my desk for stress/boredom relief, so I like a digital experience now and again and I’m enjoying this pick. I don’t know Exit Planet Dust at all so I might have a bit of a listen to that later.

I have determined to be more Bimbo/Benny…but not yet. 7/10.

Ahead of my review, to prove that I can appreciate "club" music when done properly, check out this gem (pity it wasn't on Spotify last time I checked).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.