The Album Review Club - Week #135 - (page 1719) - Stop Making Sense (Live) - Talking Heads

I nominated an album to Rob several months ago and was invited to review the following album a while ago but was too busy at the time so here goes...

The Stranglers released their debut album Rattus Norvegicus in April 1977. They formed around 1975 as The Guilford Stranglers starting out as a pub rock band but soon dropped Guildford prefix. They soon started getting a following that grew and saw them playing bigger venues.

Hugh Cornwell was the main singer/lead guitarist, JJ Burnell was singer/base player, Jet black(Brian Duffy) was the drummer/ band founder and Dave Greenfield was on Keyboard and his wizardry gave the band a distinct sound.

I got into the Stranglers in 1978 as a 14 year old at a mate's house and we'd play Rattus Norvegicus for hours after school. I really liked Cornwell's angst in his singing and Burnell's heavy base playing, but Dave Greenfield was the bands unsung hero on keyboards, he developed a unique style having been influenced by Ray Manzarek-The Doors, Rick Wakeman-Yes and Jon Lord of Deep Purple.

Rattus Norvegicus contained 2 singles - Get a Grip On Yourself
Released: 28 January 1977, and Peaches - released: 21 May 1977.

A1Sometimes4:50
A2Goodbye Toulouse3:12
A3London Lady2:25
A4Princess Of The Streets4:34
A5Hanging Around4:25
B1Peaches4:03
B2(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)
Tenor Saxophone – Eric Clark (3)
3:55
B3Ugly4:03
Down In The Sewer(7:30)
B4aFalling
B4bDown In The Sewer
B4cTrying To Get Out Again
B4dRats Rally

They also gave a free 7" single with the first 10000 albums
which contained the tracks - Peasant in the Big Shitty" (live)
and Choosey Susie on B side.

I don't think there's a duff track on the album and the keyboard crescendo of Down In The Sewer finishes off an excellent album, IMO of course and I therefore give it 9/10.

Have a listen and tell us what you think of it. Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening: )

Love Peaches.
It gets an 8.

I nominated an album to Rob several months ago and was invited to review the following album a while ago but was too busy at the time so here goes...

The Stranglers released their debut album Rattus Norvegicus in April 1977. They formed around 1975 as The Guilford Stranglers starting out as a pub rock band but soon dropped Guildford prefix. They soon started getting a following that grew and saw them playing bigger venues.

Hugh Cornwell was the main singer/lead guitarist, JJ Burnell was singer/base player, Jet black(Brian Duffy) was the drummer/ band founder and Dave Greenfield was on Keyboard and his wizardry gave the band a distinct sound.

I got into the Stranglers in 1978 as a 14 year old at a mate's house and we'd play Rattus Norvegicus for hours after school. I really liked Cornwell's angst in his singing and Burnell's heavy base playing, but Dave Greenfield was the bands unsung hero on keyboards, he developed a unique style having been influenced by Ray Manzarek-The Doors, Rick Wakeman-Yes and Jon Lord of Deep Purple.

B4aFalling
B4bDown In The Sewer
B4dRats Rally

I don't think there's a duff track on the album and the keyboard crescendo of Down In The Sewer finishes off an excellent album, IMO of course and I therefore give it 9/10.

Have a listen and tell us what you think of it. Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening: )

Not sure you’ve got the hang of this pal, it’s normal etiquette on this thread to let
Rob tot up the scores for the current album and then invite the next nominator to
post clues to his choice, once it’s been guessed you then post your nomination and write up.Its usually after 1pm we also rarely score our own picks.
However great choice, one of my favourite albums of that era and had the album with the free single,which I still own.

Is the Stranglers this weeks nomination

B4aFalling
B4bDown In The Sewer
B4dRats Rally

I think this is the easiest set of clues we've had so far. :)

Is the Stranglers this weeks nomination
Yes it is. @bluemoonrisin' sent me a PM this morning asking when he should post it and as I've only just seen it and replied, he probably decided to take the plunge. Hopefully we can all forgive him this breach of protocol as it's his first nomination.

I'll do the round-up in a minute.

Yes it is. @bluemoonrisin' sent me a PM this morning asking when he should post it and as I've only just seen it and replied, he probably decided to take the plunge. Hopefully we can all forgive him this breach of protocol as it's his first nomination.

I'll do the round-up in a minute.
Nothing to forgive.

It seems that @Saddleworth2 has returned to the nominators fold with a very popular album. Not only did Hats by The Blue Nile become the 26th album to reach the gold standard 7.00 average, it attracted 19 reviews, which is very good going indeed. The exact rating is 7.15 which is enough for 17th place in the table.

Next up is a nomination that has been brewing a long time and I'm glad that @BlueMoonRisin’ has finally been able to take his place in the nominators list. As you may have seen, this week's album is Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers.

Not sure you’ve got the hang of this pal, it’s normal etiquette on this thread to let
Rob tot up the scores for the current album and then invite the next nominator to
post clues to his choice, once it’s been guessed you then post your nomination and write up.Its usually after 1pm we also rarely score our own picks.
However great choice, one of my favourite albums of that era and had the album with the free single,which I still own.
Sorry guys, didn't know the thread etiquette.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.