The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I listened to this without the visuals, despite not really wanting to, partly to see if Weymouth's view that they were really really in the pocket stood up without seeing the visuals that obviously suggested they were. It stands up pretty well imo, that said I still miss seeing them enjoying each other in those happier times before it transpired that Byrne was in fact a bit of a twat. So it's still better with the visuals, but then again without them you can focus on things like Mabry's and Holts vocals so swings and roundabouts.

Anyway if there's this amount of kinetic energy flying around and your arse isn't moving then there's something gone wrong with the wiring between your arse and your brain. The naysayers on here are entitled to their opinions, but that makes them groove deniers.

8/10

Then why has she got an Everton hat on? Something doesn't add up here...
What you trying to say there? You think she not pretty enough to be my wife?
And think that hat was knitted after she saw the City "year of the rabbit" limited shirt

What you trying to say there? You think she not pretty enough to be my wife?
And think that hat was knitted after she saw the City "year of the rabbit" limited shirt

No I assumed you were punching above your weight.

Also, given that you know the colours of our obscure LE shirts AND you regularly come on here and show a significant degree of self-awareness and good sense, are you sure she hasn't already '"turned" you?

No I assumed you were punching above your weight.

Also, given that you know the colours of our obscure LE shirts AND you regularly come on here and show a significant degree of self-awareness and good sense, are you sure she hasn't already '"t
Confess I had to have a quick google for "dark blue" city shirts and that one came up.
Wife actually has little to no interest in football and never attended a game until I took her to see Wimbledon v Liverpool back in about 95'. Even now she just tuts when i say im watching football...usual response being..."Again!"
But I am educating her tomorrow night as she is actually coming to see Pixies with me

Confess I had to have a quick google for "dark blue" city shirts and that one came up.
Wife actually has little to no interest in football and never attended a game until I took her to see Wimbledon v Liverpool back in about 95'. Even now she just tuts when i say im watching football...usual response being..."Again!"
But I am educating her tomorrow night as she is actually coming to see Pixies with me
Who are Pixies playing?

This is basically my review from last time we reviewed this album. Maybe a bit harsh given that I did buy the album but I do still think it is massively overrated so I am unrepentant.

I thought the beginging of the album was awful.

I thought they butchered “Psycho Killer”. Byrne’s vocal is awful.

“Heaven” is more hell. Duller than a butter knife. Anything could be more fun.

‘Thank you…” at least has a beat but not much else.

“Found a Job” is another strained vocal.

Things finally pick up with Slippery People and thereafter it is for the most part a decent set of funky new wave songs, aside from the execrable “Genius of Love”. The songs though are largely nothing special and it feels like some people have been dumped by the rock critics.

For sure this is not my idea of a great live album and, as mentioned on another thread, I have a lot of live albums and have seen well over a 1,000 live performances so, if nothing else, I have plenty to compare to.

This album is good enough for me to own it but not to score more than 6 /10, which equals how I scored the Kate Bush live album, the best of which is to my mind better than anything on “Stop Making Sense”.

I only have a best of Talking Heads CD, which I'm sure I rated higher than this album, and I might investigate more of their catalogue at some point but Byrne's vocals are not my favourite, they work on "Psycho" and "Once in a Lifetime" but you can have too much of a not great thing.

BTW “Swamp” rips off Chicory Tip and Black Oak Arkansas, who'd have thought it.

Stop Making Sense (Live) - Talking Heads

First off, well done to @LGWIO for the excellent nomination of this album, and by extension, film to see for me. @Saddleworth2 did a great job in describing my same perception of the film too – it really was a visual masterpiece, even with “chicken man” Byrne leading those in this high energy performance. Foggy did a great job in prepping us for how the movie would start, but no amount of descriptions to the “add a musician a song” had me prepared for how it set itself up. I think the crowd shots that you could see time to time offstage was a good prep for the enjoyed groove that @threespires noted. After the first set of songs where the band came out, everyone was standing and most everyone I could see was dancing and having fun. I think the encore especially in showing the enJOYment and overall diversity of the crowd was a cool thing and one I think was pretty much a rare scene at a show (short of a few other bands) for its time. Well done to Jonathan Demme and the band on that.

But we’re here to discuss the record. I was familiar with Talking Heads mostly from early 1980s FM radio. “Psycho Killer”, “Take Me To The River”, “Life During Wartime”, “Once in a Lifetime”, and “Crosseyed and Painless” were all rock radio staples that I knew by heart. On this record and of those songs, only do I feel “Psycho Killer” underwent a significant transformation, and as I recall, was a big hit live from this record due to its uniqueness. But during that time, I didn’t collect or own their records – they were enjoyable, but maybe I was too young to appreciate them being focused on more harder rock at that time. Besides, I could always rely on hearing their hits daily on WMMR or WYSP (Philly FM radio).

When “Burning Down the House” was released in 1983 off of Speaking in Tongues, it was initially enjoyed – until it was overplayed. By the time this movie came out, hearing the live version of this song was simply too much after overexposure of the studio version prior. I didn’t go see the movie, but I did go see and very much enjoy “The Wall”, “The Song Remains the Same”, and “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”.

I do think the song I enjoyed the most off this album was “Heaven”, which on this album was MUCH better than the original song from 1979’s Fear of Music. The tempo was slowed down, and really hits the mark here with just David and Tina performing.

Some of the other songs here for me fell flat, and mostly due to too much synths. I realize while TH was a 4 piece band, having extra touring members was needed here for all of the sounds required. While I enjoyed the bongos, I felt the synths on some songs went way overboard, and had me harkening for the original sound. I also recall my college roommate overplaying “Swamp” off of this album in 1985, and wow could that song get on my nerves, with the vocals there were overly grating. Other songs not especially enjoyed were “Making Flippy Floppy”, “Thank You For Sending Me an Angel”, “Found a Job”, and that was mostly for the vocals, not the music. Maybe I’m not used to those songs and how Byrne sings them, but because of that, I was paying attention to the vocals there, and they just didn’t work for me live.

“Genius of Love (Tom Tom Club)” was a fun diversion for the band while Byrne could presumably rest up and change outfits again.

I’d much prefer a Greatest Hits on this band, with only “Heaven” and “Psycho Killer” included off this album, but the latter would require both versions for me to be content. I did enjoy Talking Heads' 1985 follow-up of Little Creatures that came out after this live album with 3 of my all-time favourite songs of theirs, but no one needs to Stay Up Late to guess what they are. Overall, this is probably an initial 7.5 with a preferred lean to other studio versions, so I’ll only knock 0.5 vs the Foggy 1.0 and land here at a 7.0/10.

Last edited:
I only have a best of Talking Heads CD, which I'm sure I rated higher than this album, and I might investigate more of their catalogue at some point but Byrne's vocals are not my favourite, they work on "Psycho" and "Once in a Lifetime" but you can have too much of a not great thing.
This one sentence and point in bold summarizes my view of this album too. Give me a studio Best of or GH of them. Well done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.