The Album Review Club - Week #136 - (page 1745) - ???? - ????

Yes it is. @bluemoonrisin' sent me a PM this morning asking when he should post it and as I've only just seen it and replied, he probably decided to take the plunge. Hopefully we can all forgive him this breach of protocol as it's his first nomination.

I'll do the round-up in a minute.

No, kick him out.

Thought you were a Deacon Blue fan?
Not really a fan mate. They are good for a bit of Scottish partying or a singalong with the kids in the car. I was a bit confused at the linkage of why a deacon blue fan would like blue Nile. Other than being Scottish they couldn’t have been more different.

Reactions: OB1
So onto The Stranglers.

I have BMR to thank for the fact that I have several Stranglers cds. For a long time I only have a compilation but his persistent urging led me to invest in more of their catalogue.

I did in fact buy "Grip.." from this album as a single when it was originally released.

Rattus is naturally one of the albums I own and it is a good one.

I hadn't noticed before but I found shades of Blue Oyster Cult n the first and last tracks. The album is bookended by two of its best numbers.

Peaches of course was the hit single and it does bring back memories of Welsh beaches.

I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals but they are an integral part of the band's distinctive sound and a re perhaps what got them lumped in with the New Wave. The music although sometimes a little quirky is less so but there's plenty going on. JJB's bass is always interesting but the star is Dave Greenfield, whose influences are impeccable. I particularly like his interplay with Hugh Cornwell on "Hanging Around" and the mega solo in "Down in the Sewer".

My real score is 8/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.