The Album Review Club - Week #136 - (page 1746) - The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess - Chappell Roan

I nominated an album to Rob several months ago and was invited to review the following album a while ago but was too busy at the time so here goes...

The Stranglers released their debut album Rattus Norvegicus in April 1977. They formed around 1975 as The Guilford Stranglers starting out as a pub rock band but soon dropped Guildford prefix. They soon started getting a following that grew and saw them playing bigger venues.

Hugh Cornwell was the main singer/lead guitarist, JJ Burnell was singer/base player, Jet black(Brian Duffy) was the drummer/ band founder and Dave Greenfield was on Keyboard and his wizardry gave the band a distinct sound.

I got into the Stranglers in 1978 as a 14 year old at a mate's house and we'd play Rattus Norvegicus for hours after school. I really liked Cornwell's angst in his singing and Burnell's heavy base playing, but Dave Greenfield was the bands unsung hero on keyboards, he developed a unique style having been influenced by Ray Manzarek-The Doors, Rick Wakeman-Yes and Jon Lord of Deep Purple.

Rattus Norvegicus contained 2 singles - Get a Grip On Yourself
Released: 28 January 1977, and Peaches - released: 21 May 1977.

A1Sometimes4:50
A2Goodbye Toulouse3:12
A3London Lady2:25
A4Princess Of The Streets4:34
A5Hanging Around4:25
B1Peaches4:03
B2(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)
Tenor Saxophone – Eric Clark (3)
3:55
B3Ugly4:03
Down In The Sewer(7:30)
B4aFalling
B4bDown In The Sewer
B4cTrying To Get Out Again
B4dRats Rally

They also gave a free 7" single with the first 10000 albums
which contained the tracks - Peasant in the Big Shitty" (live)
and Choosey Susie on B side.

I don't think there's a duff track on the album and the keyboard crescendo of Down In The Sewer finishes off an excellent album, IMO of course and I therefore give it 9/10.

Have a listen and tell us what you think of it. Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening: )

10/10

So onto The Stranglers.

I have BMR to thank for the fact that I have several Stranglers cds. For a long time I only have a compilation but his persistent urging led me to invest in more of their catalogue.

I did in fact buy "Grip.." from this album as a single when it was originally released.

Rattus is naturally one of the albums I own and it is a good one.

I hadn't noticed before but I found shades of Blue Oyster Cult n the first and last tracks. The album is bookended by two of its best numbers.

Peaches of course was the hit single and it does bring back memories of Welsh beaches.

I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals but they are an integral part of the band's distinctive sound and a re perhaps what got them lumped in with the New Wave. The music although sometimes a little quirky is less so but there's plenty going on. JJB's bass is always interesting but the star is Dave Greenfield, whose influences are impeccable. I particularly like his interplay with Hugh Cornwell on "Hanging Around" and the mega solo in "Down in the Sewer".

My real score is 8/10.
Thank you

Amazing what little nuggets of info this thread actually reveals. Had it on in car after collecting wife from work this morning. She just drops in, "Oh yes, I went to see the Stranglers". Thats us together for almost 30 years and I never knew that!
Had listened to the odd single of theirs previously but never a full album. despite often thinking that I should after hearing Stuart Pearce go on about them on TS

Robin Williams and Keith Floyd were huge Stranglers fans

Help, I’m being chased by some Strangler fan boys for having the audacity of not liking them as much as they do.

Can someone give me a nod when it’s safe.
Its almost like that fabled time when OK Computer was reviewed and all sorts suddenly appeared on this thread!

Robin Williams and Keith Floyd were huge Stranglers fans
Didnt know Williams was but guessed as much about Floyd due to him using Peaches on his cooking shows

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.