The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I’m getting twelve songs on my version of the album on Apple Music.
TBH I can see where Sadds is coming from with this album.
Having listened a few times now, I’m finding much of the album very ‘samish’. The chief difficulty I have is with what now sounds like contrived vocals on a lot of the songs.

For me the album started at ‘Hanging Around’ although on second listen, the opener ‘Sometimes’ had kind of grown on me.

Ugly? Not sure. It does sound kind of ugly and misogynistic when you examine it by todays standards.

I’m taking it that ‘Down in the Sewer’ ends the original album and I would say, that is where it should end.

Although of the three songs after on my version I have to say, I quite like ‘Go Buddy Go’. A really good driving rock n roll crowd pleaser I would say. That would be great live.

It’s a pleasant listen for a diversion from what I’ve been listening to lately, but I do think much of it has dated and it’s a nostalgic look at the 70’s for me.
6/10.

Next week shoule be interesting!

Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers

I'm getting this in now as I have a pretty busy start of the week with City in town for a practice and friendly match, and not sure how much time I'll have after today.

To cut to the chase as others have noted, Dave Greenfield on keyboards and Jean-Jacques Burnel on bass are the stars of this album, and that cannot be understated.

It turns out I had heard and have a track from this album before. In double-checking my Living In Oblivion, The 80's Greatest Hits collection, I did see "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" on Volume 1, which is a song I liked the best and remembered hearing before.

So when I too was wondering how a song from 1977 made it on an 80's compilation, I read this in the liner notes:

"A classic piece of seething punk from the class of '77, the burbling "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" was one side of the Stranglers' stunning debut single. Not many bands used keyboards in those Luddite days, but the Stranglers always did have an m.o. all their own."

That song sounded more new-wave to me with the heavy keys opening to it, but I've learned this week is not a band that fit most categories of its time. My familiarity with The Stranglers wouldn't be until I enjoyed hearing them on college radio during their "third phase" in 1986 with "Always The Sun", which was the only song of theirs I recall making it to US FM radio. That was clearly a departure from what I heard here.

The other song of note for me was "Hanging Around", which I too enjoyed, and was heavy on the keys and bass presence. I thought Hugh Cornwell's vocals worked best on those two songs, and also on "Goodbye Toulouse".

It wasn't a long debate on "London Lady", "Peaches" (fantastic bass line opening), or "Down in the Sewer (Medley)" that those would have worked better for me as instrumentals.

While I heard parts of the Doors keys influences from the first note of "Sometimes", it was "Down in the Sewer" that dare I say sounded a bit like Deep Purple in the beginning. To its credit, that song got nearly 2 minutes of just enjoyable music before the vocals came in.

The lyrics or delivery on most of the songs not mentioned simply just didn't do it for me. That's probably the biggest knock on this album for me, because musically, I did enjoy their debut.

Musically, this is an 8, vocally a 3, so I'm on a 5.5/10 overall on this.

The ironic lyric of the day for me: "Please don't talk much, it burns my ears"

Rattus Norvegicus - The Stranglers

I'm getting this in now as I have a pretty busy start of the week with City in town for a practice and friendly match, and not sure how much time I'll have after today.

To cut to the chase as others have noted, Dave Greenfield on keyboards and Jean-Jacques Burnel on bass are the stars of this album, and that cannot be understated.

It turns out I had heard and have a track from this album before. In double-checking my Living In Oblivion, The 80's Greatest Hits collection, I did see "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" on Volume 1, which is a song I liked the best and remembered hearing before.

So when I too was wondering how a song from 1977 made it on an 80's compilation, I read this in the liner notes:

"A classic piece of seething punk from the class of '77, the burbling "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" was one side of the Stranglers' stunning debut single. Not many bands used keyboards in those Luddite days, but the Stranglers always did have an m.o. all their own."

That song sounded more new-wave to me with the heavy keys opening to it, but I've learned this week is not a band that fit most categories of its time. My familiarity with The Stranglers wouldn't be until I enjoyed hearing them on college radio during their "third phase" in 1986 with "Always The Sun", which was the only song of theirs I recall making it to US FM radio. That was clearly a departure from what I heard here.

The other song of note for me was "Hanging Around", which I too enjoyed, and was heavy on the keys and bass presence. I thought Hugh Cornwell's vocals worked best on those two songs, and also on "Goodbye Toulouse".

It wasn't a long debate on "London Lady", "Peaches" (fantastic bass line opening), or "Down in the Sewer (Medley)" that those would have worked better for me as instrumentals.

While I heard parts of the Doors keys influences from the first note of "Sometimes", it was "Down in the Sewer" that dare I say sounded a bit like Deep Purple in the beginning. To its credit, that song got nearly 2 minutes of just enjoyable music before the vocals came in.

The lyrics or delivery on most of the songs not mentioned simply just didn't do it for me. That's probably the biggest knock on this album for me, because musically, I did enjoy their debut.

Musically, this is an 8, vocally a 3, so I'm on a 5.5/10 overall on this.

The ironic lyric of the day for me: "Please don't talk much, it burns my ears"
Interesting that you loved the music but not the vocals so the score ended up a lot lower.
Did the vocals really spoil your listens that much.
Ps.Not a criticism each to their own.

; I actually like bands that don't feel constrained by genres etc but I've still found myself confused as many times as I have engaged by them over the years.
Interesting that you like bands not constrained by genres.
Good debate but I’m not sure bands consciously get constrained by this unless they are manufactured.
Enjoying what you produce, lack of ability, doing what the fans want etc.
Love your train of thought so welcome more context or examples 3S.

Interesting that you loved the music but not the vocals so the score ended up a lot lower.
Did the vocals really spoil your listens that much.
Ps.Not a criticism each to their own.
I do know what B&W means and I agree. I know you nominated The Jam, but this is the same criticism I have about all these bands - why do they have to sound like they have an attitude problem? Why can’t they just step up to the mic and sing? Some of the music on this album is really good but they don’t half spoil it with those vocals.

Like you said, each to their own. I keep using Bon Jovi as an example - not my favourite band but a good example of what, to me, sounds like a great voice. I know plenty on here would disagree, but JBJ, Steve Perry, and Jimi Jamieson of Survivor are examples of the kind of voice I like to hear (outside of those gruff Americana voices, of course :) )

I do know what B&W means and I agree. I know you nominated The Jam, but this is the same criticism I have about all these bands - why do they have to sound like they have an attitude problem? Why can’t they just step up to the mic and sing? Some of the music on this album is really good but they don’t half spoil it with those vocals.

Like you said, each to their own. I keep using Bon Jovi as an example - not my favourite band but a good example of what, to me, sounds like a great voice. I know plenty on here would disagree, but JBJ, Steve Perry, and Jimi Jamieson of Survivor are examples of the kind of voice I like to hear (outside of those gruff Americana voices, of course :) )
I think it is just the era of the punk and new wave in the late 70's.
There was not many vocalist inspired groups around that time.
Elvis Costello maybe later on but apart from that I cannot think of many Brits at the time from the punk and new wave.

I think it is just the era of the punk and new wave in the late 70's.
There was not many vocalist inspired groups around that time.
Elvis Costello maybe later on but apart from that I cannot think of many Brits at the time from the punk and new wave.
Yes, I agree. I’m sure it was an exciting scene at the time. But for those of us who are slightly younger, you can forgive us for listening all these years later, out of context, and wondering what all the fuss was about.

I don’t feel this way about all that great music from the mid- to late-60s - I can listen to that now in wonder and truly appreciate how groundbreaking it all was and most of it still holds up today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.