The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Not sure how helpful this thread is...Mrs Spires has just walked in and asked what on earth are you doing? I've had to answer "listening to banjos put through different effects pedals", it would be fair to say she looked underwhemed.

On the plus side turns out that dub banjo is, as our friends across the water say, awesome.
You're halfway to a mercury prize

I read through some of the comments in the YouTube version of this, and one of them said "Wright was 85% of Pink Floyd's atmosphere, and Pink Floyd was 67% atmosphere." Those ratios seem reasonably accurate, and felt kind of appropriate as this record is in effect 100% atmosphere. I've always liked Pink Floyd, though no doubt there's a time and place for them, and I've often expressed my preference for "Wish You Were Here", because it's the only record they made that actually has any soul -- the rest are soundscapes, and that they hit you in the gut is a function of how good they really were at crafting soundscapes. This record kind of proves out how important Wright was to building those soundscapes . . . and how important the rest of the band were to adding lushness and potency, not to mention the basics of quality instrumentation. "Wet Dreams" is elevator music for an elevator that is both very comfortable and moves reasonably slowly -- as in, you don't mind if it takes a bit to get to your floor. That said, I preferred all the songs without vocals to those that had them, and I preferred the early part of this record to the end, where it devolves into poor watercolo(u)r facsimiles of Genesis, or Jethro Tull, or a bad nightclub band, or something. I can't imagine I'll listen to this again, and there's nothing irritating or offensive or dumb about it, nor anything meaningful, soulful or powerful either. It's a good and important musician messing about. A comfortable 6/10.

Not a Pink Floyd fan so i had my doubts about this.
Sadly my doubts were confirmed
His voice bugged me,just didn’t seem to change his style on the songs he sang on.
Maybe just as well there were loads of instrumentals to make this recording better.Nope nothing startling there.In fact as the record went on the sax really annoyed me.
1978 a great year as well.
Never again.Over indulgent boring nonsense 2/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.