The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I do know what B&W means and I agree. I know you nominated The Jam, but this is the same criticism I have about all these bands - why do they have to sound like they have an attitude problem? Why can’t they just step up to the mic and sing? Some of the music on this album is really good but they don’t half spoil it with those vocals.

Like you said, each to their own. I keep using Bon Jovi as an example - not my favourite band but a good example of what, to me, sounds like a great voice. I know plenty on here would disagree, but JBJ, Steve Perry, and Jimi Jamieson of Survivor are examples of the kind of voice I like to hear (outside of those gruff Americana voices, of course :) )

Next week should be interesting ;) ;(

I think it is just the era of the punk and new wave in the late 70's.
There was not many vocalist inspired groups around that time.
Elvis Costello maybe later on but apart from that I cannot think of many Brits at the time from the punk and new wave.
Billy Idol?

I do know what B&W means and I agree. I know you nominated The Jam, but this is the same criticism I have about all these bands - why do they have to sound like they have an attitude problem? Why can’t they just step up to the mic and sing? Some of the music on this album is really good but they don’t half spoil it with those vocals.

Like you said, each to their own. I keep using Bon Jovi as an example - not my favourite band but a good example of what, to me, sounds like a great voice. I know plenty on here would disagree, but JBJ, Steve Perry, and Jimi Jamieson of Survivor are examples of the kind of voice I like to hear (outside of those gruff Americana voices, of course :) )

If you put Bon Jovi to this punk sound it would be god awful, I think vocally bands like this, specials, Jam should be sung this way - it adds to the raw and authenticity of punk.
Of course it was of its time, if a band tried it now they’d get slated.

If you put Bon Jovi to this punk sound it would be god awful, I think vocally bands like this, specials, Jam should be sung this way - it adds to the raw and authenticity of punk.
You’ve probably got a point there, but I just find it so hard to listen to (for pleasure).

Interesting that you loved the music but not the vocals so the score ended up a lot lower.
Did the vocals really spoil your listens that much.
Ps.Not a criticism each to their own.
It really took away from the music on some of the songs for me. On the tracks I mentioned I liked, I thought the vocals were fine.

You’ve probably got a point there, but I just find it so hard to listen to (for pleasure).

Some of it suits fine. There are some gems on there. I just think some of the album’s vocals sound contrived. Trying too hard.

It is of it’s time although devotees would tell you it’s timeless.

Having said that week about finding the vocals on the jam a bit gimmicky, it is maybe a touch hypocritical of me to argue this point.

But in some ways that's a bit like saying, why can't Peter Howson just gie us a wee nicey picture of the seaside with seaguls in front of a perfect blue sky. There is expression, and a style that goes with it. For me the problem is more when the two don't overlap well. With the Jam I felt it was out of place, but partly swayed by knowing Paul's later ability and tone. With this one it didn't bother me in the slightest. Hammer nails it I think, it sometimes comes with the territory.

Plenty bands still do it now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.