The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus

Punk was before my time so it's impossible to have the same affiliation as many of the FOC here who grew up with it.
Someone mentioned it has a 'fairground organ' sound which was irritating and i do kind of agree! that aside though there is just to many classic tracks to ignore, 'Grip Of Yourself', 'Peaches' 'Hanging Around' and 'Princess Of The Streets' some others not so keen on 'Ugly' and 'Down In The Sewer' i found tough to get through.
I like the fact they are different to your standard Punk band and clearly the musicianship is all there, lyrically offending but of its time and tongue in cheek i felt.
Enjoyed.

7/10

Last edited:
The Stranglers - IV (Rattus Norvegicus)

Let's start by saying of course I have it on vinyl although it's isn't my favourite Stranglers offering. That little nugget of information has been brought to you by the words Heroes, More and No. Which is a more rounded album.

That's not to say that I don't like this one. It has all the right Stranglers components. Great bass, groovy keyboards and angry shouty singing. They were always a slightly off centre 'punk' band. Which is one of the reasons why I liked them.

The opener is a doozy, a jaunty offering about beating up a girlfriend because she cheated on him. You go...erm...Hugh. Then we go a bit stale. Toulouse, London Lady and Princess, and especially Princess, with it's slightly slower sounding vocals, do nothing for me. Sure the never ending bass is still there but there's no real get up and go.

Hanging Around sorts that out though with it's lovely slow start, dirty bass, swirling keyboards and vocals that suit the song.

Time to turn over and sample the aural delight that is Peaches. Always loved this song. Once again the dirty bass drives this and the snarling lyrics only add to the delight. "Oh shit there goes the charabanc" was an oft quoted lyric amongst my friends. Things pick up even more with (Get A) Grip (On Yourself). It's rolling drums/ keyboards and guitar at the start promise loads and deliver. A top tune.

Then we hit another unliked song. Ugly is not my cup of tea. Filler alert. And finally, Down In The Sewer. A four part tour of London's finest shit holes. It's a little disjointed with vocals slowly starting to grate. Very hypnotic bass though. Like a trip.

Thanks Paul for choosing this album. I've not listened to it in it's entirety in years and I've had fun today going through my other Stranglers vinyl as well.

Judging by my review there's four songs I really like, one I'm average about and four I'd not play again. It get's a 7. Slightly above average.
Good review that mate. Didn't think you'd give it a 7 though.

While we wait for the last few, anyone want the glory of guessing this before the clues?

Celine Dion and Joe Talbot - Duets for The Broken Hearted

Daniel O'Donnell and Joe Talbot - The Charlie Sheen Years

Camilla Parker Bowles and Joe Talbot - F*** The King

If it's none of them, then probably early Dean Martin I'd guess.

One more collective shot.

Someone go name it so I don't have to do clues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.