The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Just to remind everybody that we haven't actually finished the current week yet.

I know BMR jumped the gun last week, but I wouldn't want to make it a regular thing.

I'll probably do the round-up now as I don't think we'll get any more reviews.

It's a hell of a first album nomination for @BlueMoonRisin’.

Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers pulled in a whopping 21 votes and scored an average of 7.48, displacing Led Zeppelin from the top 10 in the process. I think we can all agree that there was plenty of good discussion and back and forth this week, so long may it continue.

Next up is @Coatigan, who can give us all some clues rather than making us take shots in the dark :)

Just to remind everybody that we haven't actually finished the current week yet.

I know BMR jumped the gun last week, but I wouldn't want to make it a regular thing.

Agreed and sorry on that, just replying to the ask. I wasn't expecting Coats to answer yet, because that would be some sort of Brutalism.

Apologies, thought someone would have ripped the bandaid off quicker there.

Anyway, spires has done it now.

Idles - Crawler

We often say on these threads that we want to be 'challenged'. This should hopefully do it.

The album is about as subtle as 9/11. The best way to approach it is like a Peter Howson painting. Or exhibition. From afar, it is a bit of an overly provocative mess. It is intense, grim, crammed with thought and emotion, but if you dare get close enough you will lose yourself in the detail, layers, and delivery. And then something might click, and leave you weak at the knees.

I like the say what you see, shout what u feel song-writing. I like their tone, the ever so slightly de-tuned, just enough to unsettle without instantly spotting it, deep guitar sound that I find quite unique. The indurstrial weight of it all, and mostly their unlimited passion. And amongst all the personal retrospective, there is broader commentey too, and one or two political connotations, like on all their albums.

At least a couple of songs should make you shake your head or shuffle your feet, and shake youtlr tiny tooshie like you don't give a shit.

An album that is amongst my all time loved albums, which for a recent release is quite a feat. And I hope to see more of the discussions we previously had on honesty, believability. If you are going to skip through, I would suggest you skip whole songs and listen to whole songs, rather than halfway through them. Will take a bit of an open mind, will take a bit of effort, but most great or complex music does imo.

This makes sense now when you replied - 'Plenty bands still do it ''

Are we looking at a modern day Stranglers here? I'll shall gave it plenty of whirls and be back next week.

*listening to Beachland Ballroom. confirm definitely not a modern day Stranglers. Nice song.

Last edited:
It's a hell of a first album nomination for @BlueMoonRisin’.

Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers pulled in a whopping 21 votes and scored an average of 7.48, displacing Led Zeppelin from the top 10 in the process. I think we can all agree that there was plenty of good discussion and back and forth this week, so long may it continue.

Next up is @Coatigan, who can give us all some clues rather than making us take shots in the dark :)
I nearly chickened out tbh as I didn't know what to write. But as I know quite a bit about the band I thought I'd do it. Google was my friend for stuff I wasn't sure about or simply didn't know.

Glad I put Rattus to debate and I'll glady do another review when it's my turn. Thanks to everyone that took part.

Cheers Rob.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.