The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

BH I apologise if I gave the impression that any of the shit I spout on here was based in any form of knowledge or even faint grasp of reality on my part. So I can't really help. However I do like to try...

So I've just googled the Rubicon Springs drinks and if the packaging is anything to go by I imagine if you drink enough of them they'll turn you the same colour as the packaging itself, a bit like Sunny Delight used to turn kids orange. They seem to major on their "natural flavours" which begs the obvious question, what constitutes "unnaturally flavoured" spring water?
Donald!!! Don’t be drinking any more of that Sunny D it’s not good for you….

Given when it was created and that it was chucked together in a day or two, this album could sound quite dated. The fact that it in reality it sounds pretty timeless speaks volumes.
It absolutely does sound dated (has, errrr, ANYONE looked at the lyric sheet??) and yet it's timeless because the sound has become so iconic. It's not their fault, but I'm not sure Sabbath can be forgiven for the thousands of bands that tried to copy them who were shite vs. the only-hundreds of bands that copied them who were decent to good to great. The ratio is probably pretty typical in rock and roll but for my taste it's pretty imbalanced when it comes to "heavy metal".

Also once again we are going to have the "I'm not a Brit" problem complicated by the "I'm not quite as old as some of you" problem which means I have to look at this record in the context of what I like today, not how influential it was yesterday, and the devil and sorcery stuff turns me off. Way off.

It absolutely does sound dated (has, errrr, ANYONE looked at the lyric sheet??) and yet it's timeless because the sound has become so iconic. It's not their fault, but I'm not sure Sabbath can be forgiven for the thousands of bands that tried to copy them who were shite vs. the only-hundreds of bands that copied them who were decent to good to great. The ratio is probably pretty typical in rock and roll but for my taste it's pretty imbalanced when it comes to "heavy metal".

Also once again we are going to have the "I'm not a Brit" problem complicated by the "I'm not quite as old as some of you" problem which means I have to look at this record in the context of what I like today, not yesterday, and the devil and sorcery stuff turns me off. Way off.
How rude!! ;) After my initial early listens as a kid, I always took the devil worship stuff with a large sack of salt. I think it became a great marketing tool for them - and they marketed the heck out of it.

Reactions: OB1

Also once again we are going to have the "I'm not a Brit" problem complicated by the "I'm not quite as old as some of you" problem which means I have to look at this record in the context of what I like today, not how influential it was yesterday, and the devil and sorcery stuff turns me off. Way off.

The lyrics are ludicrous bollocks and exactly the sort of crap that working class catholic kids who'd got their hands on a bit of Dennis Wheatly and wanted to piss their folks off would come up with. Thanks to Thatch, when I grew up the de rigueur thing to piss your parents and the parish priest off was to run off and join the Trotskyist circus rather than dabble with the occult, or maybe that was just a politicised Manchester v Brummie thing? So tbh I don't really take any notice of the lyrics. Unlike the Stranglers lyrics I find them so daft as to be less offensive but maybe you are right.

I don't disagree about the amount of crap that has subsequently come after them but can we hold them responsible for the likes of Venom and Jungle Rot and the poisonous shite that comes from some of loonies in the Scandi/Nordic countries? It's not Bob Dylan's fault that Daniel O'Donnell exists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.