The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

The lyrics are ludicrous bollocks and exactly the sort of crap that working class catholic kids who'd got their hands on a bit of Dennis Wheatly and wanted to piss their folks off would come up with. Thanks to Thatch, when I grew up the de rigueur thing to piss your parents and the parish priest off was to run off and join the Trotskyist circus rather than dabble with the occult, or maybe that was just a politicised Manchester v Brummie thing? So tbh I don't really take any notice of the lyrics. Unlike the Stranglers lyrics I find them so daft as to be less offensive but maybe you are right.

I don't disagree about the amount of crap that has subsequently come after them but can we hold them responsible for the likes of Venom and Jungle Rot and the poisonous shite that comes from some of loonies in the Scandi/Nordic countries? It's not Bob Dylan's fault that Daniel O'Donnell exists.
Mrs Daze was once heard to comment that Ozzy was the antichrist. As a good catholic girl she has never been allowed to forget this slip of the tongue. She redeemed herself many years later by belting out the chorus to Heretic Anthem when Slipknot headlined the last UK Sonisphere!

The lyrics are ludicrous bollocks and exactly the sort of crap that working class catholic kids who'd got their hands on a bit of Dennis Wheatly and wanted to piss their folks off would come up with. Thanks to Thatch, when I grew up the de rigueur thing to piss your parents and the parish priest off was to run off and join the Trotskyist circus rather than dabble with the occult, or maybe that was just a politicised Manchester v Brummie thing? So tbh I don't really take any notice of the lyrics. Unlike the Stranglers lyrics I find them so daft as to be less offensive but maybe you are right.

I don't disagree about the amount of crap that has subsequently come after them but can we hold them responsible for the likes of Venom and Jungle Rot and the poisonous shite that comes from some of loonies in the Scandi/Nordic countries? It's not Bob Dylan's fault that Daniel O'Donnell exists.
Yes it is. Bloody Dylan.

Mrs Daze was once heard to comment that Ozzy was the antichrist. As a good catholic girl she has never been allowed to forget this slip of the tongue. She redeemed herself many years later by belting out the chorus to Heretic Anthem when Slipknot headlined the last UK Sonisphere!

I can't speak for the young ladies of the midlands but with my south manchester catholic hat on and thinking of my circle of friends as a youngster, the first thought that came into my mind was "oxymoron" :-)

When I was a super cool 5th Former, Black Sabbath were the fave band of the C stream, Deep Purple the B stream and Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, and Genesis the A stream. The opinions of each stream was deeply bigoted against the others. The fact that I could allocate a stream to any band of the early to mid seventies is a little sad. I could run a quiz …. 1) Status Quo. A) B) or C)

Sabbath were ok for one album which would be fun but everything else they did was just a recycle imo. Still, liking what I have listened to so far. Would score it high for fun and at the time, originality. Would score it low for current appeal. And would take points off for it lyrically.

When I was a super cool 5th Former, Black Sabbath were the fave band of the C stream, Deep Purple the B stream and Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, and Genesis the A stream. The opinions of each stream was deeply bigoted against the others. The fact that I could allocate a stream to any band of the early to mid seventies is a little sad. I could run a quiz …. 1) Status Quo. A) B) or C)

Sabbath were ok for one album which would be fun but everything else they did was just a recycle imo. Still, liking what I have listened to so far. Would score it high for fun and at the time, originality. Would score it low for current appeal. And would take points off for it lyrically.
Quo require deep thinking… I’m going A) ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.