The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

It's an absolute classic album and like you say Rob, I can't imagine hearing this when it was released. It really does sound like something unleashed from the underworld!

It's such an iconic album and one you can argue starts "heavy metal". Even now nearly 60 years later it brims with menace! It really is iconic.

9/10
I can understand why you would say that and it's true their sound was different. However the period 69 - 71 was peppered with some very heavy music that predated Sabbath. Zeppelin 1 and 2 predated this album as did albums from the likes of Wishbone Ash (a guilty pleasure of mine) Groundhogs and obviously Cream. All of them played heavy blues but Sabbath still sounded very different. Definitely the guitar sound of Tommy Iomi does it. His plodding dinosaur riffs are totally unique. Endlessly copied but he is the original.

I can understand why you would say that and it's true their sound was different. However the period 69 - 71 was peppered with some very heavy music that predated Sabbath. Zeppelin 1 and 2 predated this album as did albums from the likes of Wishbone Ash (a guilty pleasure of mine) Groundhogs and obviously Cream. All of them played heavy blues but Sabbath still sounded very different. Definitely the guitar sound of Tommy Iomi does it. His plodding dinosaur riffs are totally unique. Endlessly copied but he is the original.

I don't think it is so much the weight of their sound, more the doomy gloom of it. To me at least, that sounds different from the other bands you mention. And that later bands borrowed.

Anyway. Enough of this Black Magic, heavy metal mullarky.

As light relief, who can remember this:

I still know every word.

Black Sabbath’s eponymous debut is a classic. This is the start proper of Heavy Metal music because Sabbath were the first Heavy Metal band although this album was probably intended to be a heavy blues rock album. The purity of the metal would come on the following albums.

The opening title track is archetypal Sabbath. Spooky and mysterious from the off with its thunderstorm opening heralding the onslaught of Tony Iommi’s tombstone riffing, which cleaves through the air like Thor’s hammer. Ozzy’s vocals are doom laden and Hammer Horror is duly evoked. Then, part way through, both the riff and pace change and Iommi delivers the first of many blistering solos.

Ozzy blows the harp on The Wizard, a heavy blues rocker driven by Bill Ward’s dynamic and inventive drumming and Iommi’s staccato guitar. Reminds me of being on Alderley Edge.

Nativity In Black opens with Geezer Butler’s iconic bass solo and humungous riff. Like the opening track it is a metal classic, head-banging heaven, that remained part of the band’s set until the End, which I was privileged to attend.

Evil Woman is virtually a pop song.

Sleeping Village is basically Mr Iommi trying out riffs for size (I wonder if Golden Earring took inspiration from one of them?) and The Warning is an opportunity for him to really show off.

The albums production is so basic but you can hear everything and appreciate the musicianship.

The lyrics are hokum and Geez is no Neil Peart but he has his moments. I was a Sword and Sorcery and Horror fan so I have no issue with them and they helped to give Sabbath an identity.

Sabbath refined their craft and music as they progressed from album to album but their debut remains on of my favourite albums. I love it.

9/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.