The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I was in the crowd at the Cow Shed for Queen on the Day at the Races tour and some twat puked next to us. Obviously a tightly packed crowd! Great gig though, famous even because it inspired We Are The Champios due to the crowd ver loudly singing You’ll Never Walk Alone before the encore.
Does this mean that you are admitting to also singing "YNWA"?
You do have an out for "peer pressure"

Have to say that having read a couple of the comments before I gave this the first listen, I cannot get out of my mind the "Cream on steroids" comment. Once again an album supported by the strength of the bass/drum, with Ward/Butler being excellent to my ears. Although I'm not that enamoured of the rest of it. A couple more listens needed.

Black Sabbath one part of the unholy trinity.....Black sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. Boy the early 1970's were really the halcyon days for British hard rock.

Regards the thread the album Black Sabbath (taken from a Boris Karloff film, they used to be called Earth) introduced the World to that sound, plus the singing of dark lyrics, which no-one else was doing at the time.

Black Sabbath one part of the unholy trinity.....Black sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. Boy the early 1970's were really the halcyon days for British hard rock

Regards the thread the album Black Sabbath (taken from a Boris Karloff film, they used to be called Earth) introduced the World to that sound, plus the singing of dark lyrics, which no-one else was doing at the time.
three very different bands. Each with its own history, sound and discography. They shouldn't really be bracketed together.

Unburdened as I am from the iconic influence this record had 54 years ago, I feel I can be very objective. And I think this record is slow and boring and kind of stupid. Influential? It’s unmistakeable. The Halloween-esque aura may be KISS-like in what is was supposed to convey rather than real, but that’s fine — and if it was new at the time, more power to them. But the endless blues solos? The insipid lyrics? The tempos mired in the mud? Ozzy with absolutely no sense of humo(u)r? Is this enjoyable or just heavy? To me it’s just heavy — and heavy means lugubrious, not impactful. Why do I like “Paranoid”? Because the BPMs are at least 150. Hell, they’re at least 50! It’s light on its feet. As with Metallica whose big fat hits made them worth it as a novelty, so goes Black Sabbath — here and there they hit me in the gut, just not on this record. Blues played loudly and competently and occasionally innovatively is fine. But I walk away unable (maybe more like unwilling) to get anything out of a single song. And while their sound is their own, it’s as comforting as the potholes I know will show up on San Francisco streets every February, meaning I endure it begrudgingly. So I won’t deny the accomplishment of something new at the time nor the influence on countless bands. But, simply put, I don’t have any desire to hear this again. Especially when I can hear “I Don’t Know” or “Over The Mountain” and chuckle (either with or at Ozzy) and marvel at the spectacular talent Randy Rhoads was.

4/10. I debated giving an extra point for one of the great band names of all time. But this record put me in a foul mood, so they get nothing. Sorry all.

Last edited:
Unburdened as I am from the iconic influence this record had 54 years ago, I feel I can be very objective. And I think this record is slow and boring and kind of stupid. Influential? It’s unmistakeable. The Halloween-esque aura may be KISS-like in what is was supposed to convey rather than real, but that’s fine — and if it was new at the time, more power to them. But the endless blues solos? The insipid lyrics? The tempos mired in the mud? Ozzy with absolutely no sense of humo(u)r? Is this enjoyable or just heavy? To me it’s just heavy — and heavy means lugubrious, not impactful. Why do I like “Paranoid”? Because the BPMs are at least 150. Hell, they’re at least 50! It’s light on its feet. As with Metallica whose big fat hits made them worth it as a novelty, so goes Black Sabbath — here and there they hit me in the gut, just not on this record. Blues played loudly and competently and occasionally innovatively is fine. But I walk away unable (maybe more like unwilling) to get anything out of a single song. And while their sound is their own, it’s as comforting as the potholes I know will show up on San Francisco streets every February, meaning I endure it begrudgingly. So I won’t deny the accomplishment of something new at the time nor the influence on countless bands. But, simply put, I don’t have any desire to hear this again. Especially when I can hear “I Don’t Know” or “Over The Mountain” and chuckle (either with or at Ozzy) and marvel at the spectacular talent Randy Rhoads was.

4/10. I debated giving an extra point for one of the great band names of all time. But this record put me in a foul mood, so they get nothing. Sorry all.
Paranoid the album 3 times faster than this?
I don’t think so.
All together now, I am Iron Maaaaaaaan,……

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.