The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Nicely put. Not specifically relating to this album, but that's exactly how I feel about music. This should be number #2 or #3 in my "Ten Commandments of Music" ...... and yet some voices are so irritating that they put you off the music (probably rule #4).
the voice is an instrument like any other. Sometimes to the forefront sometimes in the background. Calling it an 'accompaniment' almost suggests its off to the side when in fact mostly it's a fundamental part.
Yes accompanied by John Anderson just ain't right ;-)

I've said before that if I take the songs I love from Copper Blue and those I love from FUEL and mash them together, it's a top 10 lifetime record for me. The left-them-off ones are still pretty good, but the best ones are straight up top-of-the-heap in terms of melding punk and pop effectively perfectly. And the lyrics are nasty, ironic, open-hearted and clever.

Bob Mould is a fucking genius. I picked "If I Can't Change Your Mind" on that "perfect song" thread we had a while back. When he sings "If I can't change your mind / Then no one will" . . . is he just sad? Or is that a threat to kill the lover that jilted him? Such a great tune.

’ve really gone down the rabbit hole here but I suspect there are very few in this thread that could possibly appreciate let alone enjoy Sugar.
In fact there do seem to be a few.

the voice is an instrument like any other. Sometimes to the forefront sometimes in the background. Calling it an 'accompaniment' almost suggests its off to the side when in fact mostly it's a fundamental part.
Yes accompanied by John Anderson just ain't right ;-)

I'd go further and say it's a unique instrument in that it that it can articulate itself in more ways than any other instrument. Like all other instruments it has the tools of melody, rhythm, timbre etc but it also has the tool of language. It's by far the most complex and sophisticated instrument (even more than the synth, sorry Bimb!!!). For this reason I couldn't disagree with Rob and Fog more.

The problem with leaving it so late, pretty much everything has already been said. I always liked Portishead, and this album amongst that. This revisiting has made me realise, I maybe liked it, for predominantly the wrong reasons.

And that is, because it was something different, quirky and original. It did what others since did, but more naturally and effortlessly. It was Bjork, without the grimmacing, Garbage without the style, even wu-tang and Limp bizkit to some odd extent, and Gorillaz later on. I'm assuming thise are spelt with Zs, can't be botehred checking. And that still stands, the album still has good production, tries something unique and it feels like it really suits them.

What this revisit has revealed beyond that, is an emotional layer that I never quite reached. That was nice to connect with this time in a lot of it.

The biggeat problem with it though is, it is just very skippable. Halfway or two thirds of the way through a song, I feel I have heard it all, there is nowhere left for it to go. And the mood is not strong enough to indulge in imo, so it moves from all of the above, into 'background music' territory. I felt that before, and I annoyingly felt it again, and now it is 100 times easier to skip, and we as a culture have kind of been contitioned into it. Shave a minute off each track and it is maybe a masterpiece, but that unfortunate exta bit of length to each song is letting it down, to my own experience of it. It is better than a 6, that's for sure, but it is a somewhat reluctant 7 from me. If only you could rate write-ups!

I'd go further and say it's a unique instrument in that it that it can articulate itself in more ways than any other instrument. Like all other instruments it has the tools of melody, rhythm, timbre etc but it also has the tool of language. It's by far the most complex and sophisticated instrument (even more than the synth, sorry Bimb!!!). For this reason I couldn't disagree with Rob and Fog more.

Which is why so so many people struggle with instrumental only bands. But there is a theme in that for one fortnight to explore I am sure.

Exactly. The voice also delivers the lyrics, a fundamental part of each song and a critical engagement with the listener.

So after a couple more listens I will score Dummy a 6.5. I like it but still haven't achieved any emotional connection despite the vocals. I will continue to listen though and suspect if I was asked to score it six months hence I would go higher. (The 0.5 is for the review).

The problem with leaving it so late, pretty much everything has already been said. I always liked Portishead, and this album amongst that. This revisiting has made me realise, I maybe liked it, for predominantly the wrong reasons.

And that is, because it was something different, quirky and original. It did what others since did, but more naturally and effortlessly. It was Bjork, without the grimmacing, Garbage without the style, even wu-tang and Limp bizkit to some odd extent, and Gorillaz later on. I'm assuming thise are spelt with Zs, can't be botehred checking. And that still stands, the album still has good production, tries something unique and it feels like it really suits them.

What this revisit has revealed beyond that, is an emotional layer that I never quite reached. That was nice to connect with this time in a lot of it.

The biggeat problem with it though is, it is just very skippable. Halfway or two thirds of the way through a song, I feel I have heard it all, there is nowhere left for it to go. And the mood is not strong enough to indulge in imo, so it moves from all of the above, into 'background music' territory. I felt that before, and I annoyingly felt it again, and now it is 100 times easier to skip, and we as a culture have kind of been contitioned into it. Shave a minute off each track and it is maybe a masterpiece, but that unfortunate exta bit of length to each song is letting it down, to my own experience of it. It is better than a 6, that's for sure, but it is a somewhat reluctant 7 from me. If only you could rate write-ups!

As someone who is always last to review I have the same dilemma and I've been waiting all week to see if anyone else would mention Bjork.. and here it is! surprised more reviews haven't mentioned the comparison.

As someone who is always last to review I have the same dilemma and I've been waiting all week to see if anyone else would mention Bjork.. and here it is! surprised more reviews haven't mentioned the comparison.
Now it’s been mentioned I get the Bjork analogy. On more than one occasion I also got some Skin (Skunk Anansie) vibes. As mentioned above the voice is indeed an amazing multi faceted instrument

Yes but the point, for me, is that it doesn't have to be spectacular - just not annoying.

I agree with everything you say about what a voice is capable of that an instrument isn't, but I'd happily take an average or 4/10 voice as long as the backing is listenable and moves me. I won't listen to the "best" singer in the world if the backing is dull or of little interest to me.

All of those crooners of the 40s, 50s and 60s arguably have what many would call a "great voice", and in their case the bands are probably superb players, but because the sound is not as interesting to me as a Fender, Hammond, accordion, mandolin etc., there's little in it for me.

Exactly. The voice also delivers the lyrics, a fundamental part of each song and a critical engagement with the listener.
The voice does deliver the lyrics but I tend to separate the two. As long as the singer has an average voice, it's good enough for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.