The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

It says 2000 here, but no worries. Given these album years weren't released in order, it's easy to confuse. Y'all in the UK probably got this early anyways, especially in a place called the basement at Wesley Owen's.

View attachment 131403
I'm probably wrong about the release year. The album releases go up in years and the ep's go down I think

Do you love hip hop?

Do you love Jesus?

8/10.

(Review done for you, enjoy your break)
Genuinely interested in how people respond to an album that is explicitly and positively religious. Lots of music contains religious imagery or speaks of it in the negative. if people find the opposite challenging or are instinctively dismissive then I think that is potentially interesting to explore.

People are of course welcome to write a 10 word review - my wife always tells me I like to talk about stuff no one else cares about

We've survived before....

(and wait a minute here - this album is only 24 years old, so I call FOUL! on the initial hint in this link that this album is old enough to run for Congress! ;-)
We have, but as with auto-points-deductions for live and greatest hits records, I am starting to consider giving automatic half-point deductions for albums not on Spotify. There are only about 500 trillion records there and we all have hundreds we like — let’s make it easier on everyone out of courtesy, eh?

I do recogniz(s)e US/UK variants is hard enough (my next pick has a small difference between the versions released in each country). But all of my top 100 records of all time are on Spotify except one (the only one missing is The Feelies “Only Life”, which is criminal but c’est la vie) — though to be fair my favo(u)rite greatest hits record isn't nor is one of my favo(u)rite film soundtracks. Maybe I’m too mainstream but still . . .

Last edited:
Genuinely interested in how people respond to an album that is explicitly and positively religious. Lots of music contains religious imagery or speaks of it in the negative. if people find the opposite challenging or are instinctively dismissive then I think that is potentially interesting to explore.

People are of course welcome to write a 10 word review - my wife always tells me I like to talk about stuff no one else cares about
She seems to have a point ;)

First listen in...

Thought it would be more scriptural, like some sort of early Jennifer Knapp meets Chuck D mashup. It's a bit more free range than that.

Tracks like Pumpfake mark him out as a dangerous heretic; where he got the notion that we were supposed to follow The Spirit rather than exert power and ring the cash tills I don't know. Seems a bit free range with his views.

He's not bothered about musical convention is he? I reserve the right to chuck in anything at any time that works for me. Can't decide if the random jaunts across the album from percussive to mellow or from trippy to funky make it eclectic or annoying. Either way you'd have to say its very erm... free range.

Overall strikes me as a hippy with dangerous ideas. Hmmm.

Anyway, nowhere near deciding what I think about this yet, other than this is probably as good a reflection of a nominator (based on their writings herein) as I can remember.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.