The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Can't believe in amongst all the negative or downbeat reviews that even Roads isn't getting much more love and attention. This makes my doubt people are listening properly ;)

Not really. Why decompose music in that way? It’s meant to be enjoyed as a whole.
I’m not decomposing. On my favo(u)rite records I’ve never once cared about the “quality” of the singing relative to the musical (and sometimes though not always lyrical) qualities. Vocalists obviously can add value. But it’s not necessary for me to love a record. Whereas I can listen to a lovely voice like Beth Gibbons or Billie Holliday or Annie Lennox and unless the tunes behind them are right, I don’t enjoy them. I mean my favo(u)rite band of all time is New Order and Bernie can’t sing for shit. But I also like Pet Shop Boys, and Neil Tennant’s very good singing ability (IMO) adds value (also because he can project sardonically and ironically, like Morrissey).

I’d just as soon watch a show like “The Voice” as rub a cheese grater across my arm. But if there were a Battle of the Bands show in genres I like, I’d probably like it.

Last edited:
When she sings the refrain in Roads, which in many ways is the centrepiece of this album, it’s simultaneously the most broken and defiant sounding voice in the world. Maybe that’s where I was and that’s why I love this.

So back to where I started this review, was this album therapy? Possibly. Even now I sometimes find myself curling up in a fetal position when I listen to parts of it! Life is complicated, life can be dark, it can be fragile, it can sometimes drag you to the edge; but life is beautiful, full of unexpected twists and turns and life is precious.

Dummy - Portishead

I'm sorry, but this is one album where I simply cannot disassociate the original write-up from what I'm listening to for the first time. I have no actual reference, I have no association, to what I've read prior to listening to this album. When this album was released, 32 years and 2 days to the day - I had just celebrated 3 years of marriage and 3 months of moving into our first and only home where we started and raised our family.

I can't say I've lived through the same pain and grief that threespires describes here. I lost my Mom 3 years ago, and it hurt like hell, but at least I had my spouse there with me to help me through that time. But what if I didn't have that rock during that time? How would that have gone for me if other things were falling apart? Honestly, I can't even think of that. I think about what that period would have been like without her support, and going though such relationship challenges, and I come back to this song "Roads":

"I got nobody on my side
And surely that ain't right

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way
Regardless of what they say"

This song alone brought me to tears. It wasn't about anything going on with me, it was about one of our own was likely feeling in hearing this and going through the crap back then feeling alone.

Do I like the tunes? Yes, "Glory Box" is a fantastic closer just as "Mysterons" starts the album off with its eerie sound. Two strong bookends there.

Do I fully understand this album yet? No, and I'm not sure I fully will, but I certainly plan to listen to it again, and if I ever really need it (and I hope I don't), I know something like this is out for me. "Sour Times" and "Numb" that would be, indeed. It's an 8/10 for me. Oh, and the vocals here are strong as hell. *

* this review was not brought to you by the letter "R", because that wouldn't be fair or accurate to either artist

I’m not decomposing. On my favo(u)rite records I’ve never once cared about the “quality” of the singing relative to the musical (and sometimes though not always lyrical) qualities. Vocalists obviously can add value. But it’s not necessary for me to love a record. Whereas I can listen to a lovely voice like Beth Gibbons or Billie Holliday or Annie Lennox and unless the tunes behind them are right, I don’t enjoy them. I mean my favo(u)rite band of all time is New Order and Bernie can’t sing for shit. But I also like Pet Shop Boys, and Neil Tennant’s very good singing ability (IMO) adds value (also because he can project sardonically and ironically, like Morrissey).

I’d just as soon watch a show like “The Voice” as rub a cheese grater across my arm. But if there were a Battle of the Bands show in genres I like, I’d probably like it.

I assumed NO would be exhibit A for your point and as we were barrelling down the autostrada yesterday me and elder son stuck Low Life on and had a discussion about BS's voice. Whilst neither of us would claim he's the greatest conventional singer in the world the question in hand was could we imagine these songs without him singing or would we enjoy them as much? The answer to those both were no. Our take was simply that, irrespective of his technical qualities he is/was the 'right' singer for NO for a whole raft of reasons and that we couldn't divorce the music and the voice. So I think a different perspective from yours? We then got onto the question of, given that we consider Tom Chapman an adequate replacement for Hooky (recognising the songs wouldn't exist without Hooky), could we ever envisage an adequate replacement for BS? In theory the answer should be yes as he's not a great singer and there are plenty of better guitarists but we were not convinced at all. We decided this question was too hard so we moved onto whether whether the food and drink culture of Italy was sufficient compensation for having to tolerate it's mostly appalling contemporary music?

Can't believe in amongst all the negative or downbeat reviews that even Roads isn't getting much more love and attention. This makes my doubt people are listening properly ;)

Broadly speaking I think we have a preference for rock on the the thread, but the idea is to nominate albums that you really like so that's what I do.

Though I'm not surprised by the general reception, I must admit I'm surprised that particular song didn't cut through a bit more.

Broadly speaking I think we have a preference for rock on the the thread, but the idea is to nominate albums that you really like so that's what I do.

Though I'm not surprised by the general reception, I must admit I'm surprised that particular song didn't cut through a bit more.
This has actually done better than I thought. Some of the posters who I thought wouldn't like it found some positives in it and scored accordingly. It still remains to be seen if there's an album that can break into the Champions League spots

This has actually done better than I thought. Some of the posters who I thought wouldn't like it found some positives in it and scored accordingly. It still remains to be seen if there's an album that can break into the Champions League spots
It was doing well until hit by a couple of late torpedoes.

Champions League places in a table of 130+ would be top 26, so let's see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.