The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

I get it's not everyone's cup of tea but some of the dismissals seem a bit trite as whatever else you think of them, they can really groove. It's an authentic groove too; whilst they take lots of influences they are not mimicking. They were white middle class art school kids who found their own way to properly groove and that's not that common imo. You can have the discussion of whether that is simply down to Tina Weymouth or not but I don't think you can deny the groove is a real groove.

I get it's not everyone's cup of tea but some of the dismissals seem a bit trite as whatever else you think of them, they can really groove. It's an authentic groove too; whilst they take lots of influences they are not mimicking. They were white middle class art school kids who found their own way to properly groove and that's not that common imo. You can have the discussion of whether that is simply down to Tina Weymouth or not but I don't think you can deny the groove is a real groove.

I listened to a few things beyond this album over the week, snd preferred their studio material to the live album. Sometimes bests of and live versions enhance, sometimes they backfire.

I listened to a few things beyond this album over the week, snd preferred their studio material to the live album. Sometimes bests of and live versions enhance, sometimes they backfire.
I better get my review done soon as you are giving away my special sauce! ;-)

And yes, as threespires notes, the groove is definitely there, when you can hear it over the overuse of the synths from the studio versions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.