The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

So one of my many mistakes in life has been not to watch this filmed concert until last night. If I had watched it 40 years ago when it was first released, I may well count Talking Heads as one of my very favourite artists but sadly I didn’t.Instead I listened to their singles, liked them well enough, but went through life in blissful ignorance of their live genius that is captured in this remarkable film. The energy, joy, musicianship, ‘plot’, and performances simply blew this cynical old crusty’s head off. It’s not easy to list all of the superlatives but I have to pick out David Byrne’s simply extraordinary physical and vocal performance. Whilst I enjoyed the music when I streamed it, it was only when experiencing the full funkadelic groove of the film that it all made complete sense.

Was this the greatest concert film ever made? I can say confidently that it’s the best I have seen by a country mile.

This gives me a bit of a head scratcher though as I enjoyed watching the film so much more than listening to the album (I listened 3 times before watching the film). This is not 'my favourite film' thread though. If it were, I would give the remastered 4k version a ten quite happily.

I think I need to go back and listen to the album a couple of times more before scoring.
Yeah, but did you get up and do the epileptic fit dance and get chased round the kitchen by your missus….. careful now.

Yeah, but did you get up and do the epileptic fit dance and get chased round the kitchen by your missus….. careful now.
I have to say I was thinking of your story and inwardly admitting that 'air guitar' probably didn't touch it :-)
what a bloody performance. Just incredible.
Mrs S loved the filmed concert as well so no chasing required.

I have to say I was thinking of your story and inwardly admitting that 'air guitar' probably didn't touch it :-)
what a bloody performance. Just incredible.
Mrs S loved the filmed concert as well so no chasing required.
I didn’t nominate this, but I’m actually delighted for you Sadds.
I always feel that the purpose of doing this thread is not the many who don’t get it, but reaching the one who does.
It’s like those first reaction YouTube vids I was on about.

Well done @LGWIO id say you’re delighted.

I didn’t nominate this, but I’m actually delighted for you Sadds.
I always feel that the purpose of doing this thread is not the many who don’t get it, but reaching the one who does.
It’s like those first reaction YouTube vids I was on about.

Well done @LGWIO id say you’re delighted.
Cheers Eamon, I am delighted in the fact that it actually created a debate.
I did love the whole back and forth and strong virews held by everyone in relation to Rob's "grenade" a few weeks back.
I didn't necessarily expect that this week, but have enjoyed the differing views. As that whats life like and particularly for me being a "dipper" on here, it's the primary reason I hang about on the forum in general.
It would be a sad world if we all thought the same.
When thinking about my offering I have always so far gone for albums that I love, ones that have been with me for years. Prior to putting this one forward I scanned the list on page 1 and was amazed that nobody had put any TH up. I thought long and hard about which one to throw into the mix and checked with Rob first over the "live" album. As this was the first time I listened to a whole TH album and lead to me buying everything else, I had to go with it.
It has been hearing peoples stories as to how it has impacted/played a part in their lives and even if it scored down with AGDCFF it would have been worthwhile.
Even better if someone else has taken some pleasure from it.

Now back to trying to find my Pixies tickets for tomorrow night. I know where I left them but wife has tidied up and moved them and now claims she never touched them.

I did love the whole back and forth and strong virews held by everyone in relation to Rob's "grenade" a few weeks back.
I didn't necessarily expect that this week, but have enjoyed the differing views. As that whats life like and particularly for me being a "dipper" on here, it's the primary reason I hang about on the forum in general.
When thinking about my offering I have always so far gone for albums that I love, ones that have been with me for years. Prior to putting this one forward I scanned the list on page 1 and was amazed that nobody had put any TH up. I thought long and hard about which one to throw into the mix and checked with Rob first over the "live" album. As this was the first time I listened to a whole TH album and lead to me buying everything else, I had to go with it.
It has been hearing peoples stories as to how it has impacted/played a part in their lives and even if it scored down with AGDCFF it would have been worthwhile.

Now back to trying to find my Pixies tickets for tomorrow night. I know where I left them but wife has tidied up and moved them and now claims she never touched them.
Hope you find your tickets - very jealous you’re seeing them tonight. Enjoy

You know the rules LGW10

Hope you find your tickets - very jealous you’re seeing them tonight. Enjoy
Thanks...and found them in the kitchen cupboard ...where the wife always bungs all paperwork left on the kitchen counter....It certainly wasnt me that put them there.
Looking forward to it as I have to admit that this will be my first concert since I moved over here 25yrs ago. Spoilt for choice when I lived in London. Last saw Pixies at Brixton Academy back in 91'
Recalled someone mentioning the Teenage Fanclub/Afghan Whigs recently and recalled I saw them both at New Cross venue years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.