The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

This is basically my review from last time we reviewed this album. Maybe a bit harsh given that I did buy the album but I do still think it is massively overrated so I am unrepentant.
Totally agree. The huge overkill on the synths here alone would be enough to put most reviewers off most other albums, so I'm genuinely surprised that it is so highly regarded. Nostalgia is a strong emotion (and rose-tinted specs are doing a roaring trade).

Further listens to this following my previous comments haven't done anything to shaft my perception of it, or the Talking Heads as being a tad dull. I'll keep Once in a Lifetime on my playlists and play Remain in Light from time to time but not heard anything to make me want to explore further. I get that these are a very popular choice and the film has gone down well but this is no more than a 6 for me

If people think Byrne killed Pyscho Killer then you've not heard anything yet!

I don't object to Miley Cyrus per se but that cover is just criminal pap. One of my kids alerted me to the existence of the album so I had a listen, with a couple of exceptions I thought it was pretty lame.

I do love the strong feelings either way on all offerings that folks put forward. Its funny when you get such strident views, which is reinforced by the (almost) universal love in for Oasis.
It always reminds me....
Talking Heads, just a band
Oasis, just a band

I don't object to Miley Cyrus per se but that cover is just criminal pap. One of my kids alerted me to the existence of the album so I had a listen, with a couple of exceptions I thought it was pretty lame.
You can absolutely say Byrne is not a great vocalist but those songs without his voice lack a certain something

I do love the strong feelings either way on all offerings that folks put forward. Its funny when you get such strident views, which is reinforced by the (almost) universal love in for Oasis.
It always reminds me....
Talking Heads, just a band
Oasis, just a band
Liverpool, just a football te…

Oh wait ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.